Alternative treatment for BPH

Posted , 14 users are following.

does anyone have experience of Saw Palmetto?. I have read that it may be just as effective as prescribed drugs. Found them in the shops but rather expensive

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Gary;  People have been taking Saw Palmetto for many many decades.  Its an old herbal remedy.  I would say for most folks it "doesn't work".  Think about it this way if it really worked why would there be thousands of urologists treating their patients???   We wouldn't need those guys.  I've tried it with no success of any kind.  If it really truly worked you would see major news storys about it.  But you don't because it doesn't work.  Save your money.
  • Posted

"Just for the record" as most of you regular guys know I have had "both" a "PAE" and also a "UROLIFT".  There are many other posts on this site about both procedures.  Just look them up and I hope that they help you.  Good Luck.
  • Posted

Hi Gary

Like some of the replies on here, I have to agree with those that suggest, it does nothing. I often wonder how much 'filler' is in those supplements. Usually they use sawdust. I would be very careful on 'studies' that have been done as well. A lot of studies are paid for by the very people selling the product. Its not scientific enough for me, but try what you will. The placebo effect might work for you.

What I did to stop any meds and supplements totally, is that I had a TURP done 14 days ago.

I have a good stream, very, very little discoloration in my urine now, and was at the gym this morning doing some stretching exercises. Slowly and cautiously i might add. I'm doing lots of walking and getting my life back I'm 69, a non-drinker and non-smoker and non - red meat eater as well. I do eat some chicken and turkey, that's it as far as meat products go. I don't like the way antibiotics are used in 'anything' for that matter, our bodies are full of it.

Good luck with whatever you try, if it works for you, great, that's all that matters but our bodies are so different, what works for one guy does nothing for another.

Best and may "the flow be with you"

Mike

• Posted

Gary: I take it, but I also take Stinging Nettle Root Extract (SNRE). I started on the latter which almost immediately rid me of most BPH symptoms.

I am about to start taking a softgel capsule that has SNRE, Saw Palmetto oil and Pumpkin Seed oil as the latter has also been mentioned in the forums.

I buy out of the US. Even with the poorer exchange rate it is half the price of local products in Australia where I live. PM me if you want the details.

• Posted

HI Stewarta

I have ordered the SNRE from the link you gave me and am looking forwar dto trying it. IF SNRE worked for you so well why would you bother with the other herbal remedies ,i e Saw Palmetto and Pumkin seed oil.

I dont think either make any difference to me,

regards

Jeremy

• Posted

Jeremy: I only started using the blended product after reading comments in the forums here.  It seems to be a good remedy despite what some others state.

I think it works in my case because my prostate is only 'moderately large' according to my GP (whatever 'moderate' means) and my PSA is only 2.7.

I am working towards having a PAE either later this year or early next.

• Posted

Yes I think your path is the one I would wish to folllow from what I have gleaned from the reading I have done.

I seem to remember my prostate was 48 cc. I do have the symptoms of BPH, but wish to buy myself some time and also think I would like go for the PAE also.

How bad are your symptoms then?

• Posted

Right now, nothing much to complain about. Nocturia only means waking once or twice. Even stinging has gone. Exercise is a factor. I was crawling in the roof space fixing a coaxial cable yesterday, and even that exercised the groin LOL.

I find that sitting at work in front of a computer is not good for me. Walking does help.

The blended SNRE/Saw Palmetto/Pumpkin seed oil we PMed about does work for me.

• Posted

If you Google for Prostatitis cushions there are a lot that claim to take pressure of your delicate parts.
    • Posted

Derek: I don't have the pain sitting ... I'm saying that a sedantry lifestyle contributes to BPH in my view, among other things we know about, e.g., testosterone coming in through the arteries from the testes.
    • Posted

I'd love to get info about the blended SNRE/Saw Palmetto/Pumpkin seed oil that you mentioned has helped you. Not sure how PM works. Can you PM info about it? I'm in the US. Many thanks!

• Posted

PEMF See Forum "PEMF for BPH?"  regarding  Pulsing ElectroMagnetic Field treatment for BPH Listed under Forums / Seniors Health / Prostate Problems. I'm hoping it will become a mainstream non-invasive treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.