Alternatives for Omeprazole

Posted , 26 users are following.

I have long suspected omeprazole is making me gain weight. whether its from increased appetite or stored water (or whatever), I don't like it!  Mr GP just says, well stop taking it, but then my symptoms come back ... he seems to put my weight gain down to lack of will power and committment rather than the drug.

I see from this discussion page that other people feel the same way ..... so what can we use instead (and will the side effects be the same?)

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You know, exdancer, I have come to the conclusion they are all of - basically - the same cut (especially when you consider that part of the reason these particular drugs - and not others - are being distributed via prescription is because there is a fiscal incentive vis a vis their specific distribution).  Whichever you choose - and especially knowing that ALL OF THEM WERE ORIGINALLY INTENDED TO BE TAKEN FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME ONLY - the body will STILL have to recover coming off of them at some interval (unless long term harms are never to be addressed) - and, in terms of the PPIs - deal with the potential for a horrific acid backlash at the ultimate unleashing  ---- and the fact that your stomach will have already been diminished by going over into overdrive whilst attempting to deal with depleted stomach acid - so necessary for good health - in the previous interim.  As far as I'm concerned it is vital that one is able - as much as is possible - to restore the balance of your health into your own good hands and and not be forever bound to the pharmaceutical parade.  As far as one is able (and I intend to do my damnest) I will fight to be free.  For this reason I have stayed off the Nexium after being placed on it --- misguidedly I now believe.  Rant over ... I send you all of my verst best wishes.  
    • Posted

Hi, do you mean it was misguided of you to NOT take Nexium? If so, I don't understand...did you not take it but think you should have as throughout the post you seem to be saying that you don't think ppi s do any good...I don't think they do, either. I think stopping stomach acid altogether is unhealthy and I've read a lot of information about the bad affects of these drugs. Are yiu still taking ppi s or have you managed to get off them? I was prescribed them only about two months ago but I'm already taking less and less even though I'm worried about what I'm going to do as an alternative and am scared about the damage to my throat.

regards, mo.

• Posted

I saw an article I think in the New York Times that talked about the bacterial flora in our gut and how it was different for obese people than for normal weight people. Also obese people who got a transplant of bacteria from normal weight people lost weight. As I imagine the lack of acidity changes the bacterial flora in our gut, it is completely possible that it makes one gain weight (amongst other things).

Have you tried stopping the omeprazole progressively? Taking it every other day for a few weeks, than every three days and so on? There will be a period of rebound for sure but after a few weeks it should go away. You can take other antacids that are not PPI in the mean time, whatever works for you. I found DGL licorice very helpful but my problem was more stomach pain. And if you follow a low fat, low acid, low salt diet, avoiding anything irritating and keeping the portions reasonable, you should loose weight. I know I did without even trying.

• Posted

Dear Mo76136,

In answer to your query in your posting of (as currently listed) 44 minutes ago, I most certainly agree with you.  I do not feel that PPI's are an appropriate treatment as they only EVER address AT BEST a symptom and not the cause.  As you so generously point out the damage done on their sad wayside often reaks with the potential for greater damage than any cure should ever intend.  In my own case it was most definitely NOT appropriate for me to be given Nexium.  I was looking for a cure a feeling of pressure in/on the back left quadrant of my head.  I suggested initially that I felt it was due to my cervical foraminal stenosis but was told by a GP that such could not be the case.  (I have since been successfully treated for it with physiotherapy.)  I was thereafter fed a course of antibiotics for an ear infection that I did not have and then - on advice - had an incipient wisdom tooth removed on the upper left side and was fed two further courses of antibiotics only a few days after finishing the previous ones.  THAT is in fact what I suspect caused my symptoms of LPR.  My poor body was simply overwrought.  It could not adequately protect itself against the NHS.  Did I have incipient LPR before?  I cannot tell and I assume I will never know.  I was given the Nexium as yet another response to the head pressure. "Take this for two weeks" the GP said "and it may cure you"   And this man had been certified as a doctor.    This cure was much worse that any disease I had in the first place nor dreamt of in a particularly torrid nightmare.  No two weeks for me on those tablets.  I only took four .... count them four pills.  I only wish I had taken NONE.  I stopped because I asked myself - when I still felt the buzz above - WHY - OH, WHY am I taking these?????  Still that was enough to do the damage - and to push an acid rebound on my poor - wholly uneserving/suspecting body.  Yet another assault.  Blessedly my throat survived in tact.  At least it had when it was scoped two weeks ago by a noted ENT surgeon who said it was 'totally normal'.  He also said the level of training in terms of understanding "of these issues by the standare GP practicesis appalling'.  

In answer to your question:  Yes, I am off them.  I WILL NEVER GO BACK.  Well, certainly without both reason and proof.  There MUST be another way.  .... Of course I say NEVER .... IF it could be PROVED that it really WAS necessary .... and there was NO other way .... I would take them - but certainly NEVER for more than the maximum of SIX weeks that the original creators of these pills had intended.  How many people here were handed these drugs - whatever the particular nomination - BEFORE they had definitive proof of either LPR or GERD .... Before, say, an endoscopy ... or before a pepsin test which even now the NHS does not approve of and the majority of the GPs have never heard of.  

You are right, Mo,  I agree.  You must save yourself first.  You must take care of your body which has for so long taken good care of you.  That is OUR duty.  If I read between your lines correctly it sounds as if you have a fairly good idea of what to do.  I applaud you for the courage of your instinct.  Better - if you must - to die with that on your conscious than the despair of having followed someone else's misguided umbrage.  You are cleverly aware of the overall risks and you are succeeding in hedging your bets as best you can.  No one can ask any of us to do more.  Lond may you thrive.   

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. It's interesting to know the stories of others, although, in your case, the story makes me fearful of going to doctors at all. However, even if the things I read on this forum don't help me to get better, at least I am becoming more informed and it helps to know that there are other people going through similar experiences. I feel justified in not wanting to take these drugs when I read that others have similar feelings. I basically took the drugs out of fear. After going to ENT with symptoms, they simply said I had reflux and gave me omeprazole. I didn't take them because I didn't think I had reflux..when I returned again, they asked me if I'd taken the tablets and I said no. They then explained what 'silent' reflux is and said that every day I didn't take the tablets, I was damaging my throat more. So I took them. I've only been taking them for twenty days, though and I am lessening the dose. They've actually made my symptoms worse, I think. As for damage to my voice, I've suffered hoarseness for over a year before even taking the drugs because I was just too exhausted to do anything about it (two children and a job, as well as other various sources of stress) so there's damge already done (although last time I went to ENT they just said that my vocal chords looked slightly red) but anyway, now I'm putting aside time to research and, as you've said,  I have to hedge my bets- I can't take these drugs- and try to find natural alternatives.

I hope that you are recovering,

regards to you and everone here,

Mo

• Posted

Thats interesting, especially as I don't have any symptoms of acid reflux apart from the constant cough - which I guess will be damaging my throat.  As the omeprazole doesn't seem to help the cough it does seem the height of stupidity to keep taking it ...... although I was also told it would help prevent damage to the stomach from the pain killers I already take for arthritis!

You can't win can you?

I think I'll try Ines' suggestion,- gradual weaning off the things and see what hapens.  I'll still take the renitidine for the time being (I don't think thats a ppi, its an acid neutraliser I understand).  Somehow I remain unconvinced that the problem is with acid ...... the ittitation seems to come downwards into my mouth,  more like a post nasal drip, not something coming up from my stomach, but the consultant said that was a common misapprehension.    sad

• Posted

really interesting and helpful to read this discussion. I have been on Omeprazole for 3 years. Told consultant that I had extreme nausea at about the same time every day. Only lasts 10 minutes and am never actually sick but it's very unpleasant. He said "take more omeprazole - move to 2 doses a day".THEN I discovered that nausea is a side effect! When I don't take it, I don't get nausea. So am determined now to find an alternative and suspect that the answer lies in an alkaline diet and perhaps a little less stress.

• Posted

My problem is different then the ones I see here.  I have been on this drug for quite sometime due to an ulcer that thankfully hadn't progressed to cancer.  Now I am being told that this drug may be affecting my kidneys and was advised to cut the dosage in half i.e. every other day.  I am now in severe pain (stomach pain).  So I don't think I can just go off of this type of drug completely.  Am waiting to here from my doctor about what can be done.

• Posted

When you say this drug presume you mean the omeprazole, mmm so it can affect ones kidneys can it, great, ive had blood tests results back showing problems with my kidneys and then im given the omeprazole for for my stomach problems. Told i must take them for at least four weeks to see if they help with my stomach problems  which ive had for nearly five weeks now, said if they dont help then ill have to have the camera down my throat, Ive  no acid reflux, just a very sore  stomach all my whole digetive area from the right  to left under my ribs, more so in the centre of the breast bone and under my right ribs. Really worried and feel so sore all the time, i dont want to take these tablets at all.
  • Posted

I just came from the ear, nose & throat doctor.  His attitude towards Omeprazole is a bit cavalier, I  thought. I asked him about taking this medication long term & damage done to kidneys. He said you weigh the pros & cons & if this is helping, take it. What scares  me are the long term affects of this drug?  Has anyone found an alternative? I would like  to know if they have or any suggestions? Please let me know. Thanks

• Posted

Hello all; I've long ago been diagnosed with GERD with Barrets syndrome. I was prepscribed Olmaprazole perhaps ten years ago and have been symptom free since!.

Recently, the JOURNAL OF THE AMA had a headline  that long term use of this drug caused cognitive and memory damage!! I informed my MD's and was switched to Ranitidine. While the former worked perfectly leaving me painless, the latter works poorly.

It's 3AM, I was driven out of bed by the pain that six anti acids and a rinititidine wouldn't end! My mother and many of that side of the family have died from esophageal cancer so I'm worried!

What alternatives do I have?

• Posted

I'm beginning a radical change in my diet.  It is the only thing I have control over.   Plus cutting out all sugars and carbs since I know for sure that they trigger reflux.   I'm still on omeprazole but I'm reducing the amount by cutting tablets in half.  Should be totally off in a month.  Previously when I tried to stop PPI's cold turkey, I couldn't stand the pain and renewed my prescription.  Now that I know it was the rebound effect, I'm easing off the amount I take over a 45 day period.  Ranitidine only works for me if I taken 3x the suggested amount!

• Posted

There is a medicine online that you can order for pain called Relief Factor that is all natural and although needs to be taken with food because it has fish oils in it, it isnt like taking Nsaids that destroy your stomach and cause people to have to depend on medicines like omeprazole. I am starting now to wean myself off of omeprazole by taking every other day for a few weeks then every third day etc and will probably take a generic zantac if I have any problems. Ill f/u after I have been able to do this. Next I will do the same with my BP meds by finding a natural alternative with my doctors monitoring, of course. Ready to get off the meds.
    • Posted

Hello, what is the result ? This Relief Factor is good ? Thank you.
  • Posted

I have been taking Omeprazole for several years now.  No problem, or at least I thought there was no problem.

I mentioned to the GP that I was having problems swallowing, he suddenly sat up and took notice.

I now have an appontment to have an endoscopy, only saw him last week !  Once they have checked there is nothing more suspicious, they might stretch my throat so that I can eat normally again.

If it is the cause of the problem, I do not want to go through these treatments again so will ask my GP for an alternative

• Posted

Update on the investigation.  Nothing suspicious found.  BUT they did find a oesophageal pouch.  Apparently its been there since birth !  They can't do anything about it, I just have to live with it and occasionally choke - badly  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.