Alternatives for Omeprazole

Posted , 25 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have long suspected omeprazole is making me gain weight. whether its from increased appetite or stored water (or whatever), I don't like it!  Mr GP just says, well stop taking it, but then my symptoms come back ... he seems to put my weight gain down to lack of will power and committment rather than the drug.

I see from this discussion page that other people feel the same way ..... so what can we use instead (and will the side effects be the same?)

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

There is a medicine online that you can order for pain called Relief Factor that is all natural and although needs to be taken with food because it has fish oils in it, it isnt like taking Nsaids that destroy your stomach and cause people to have to depend on medicines like omeprazole. I am starting now to wean myself off of omeprazole by taking every other day for a few weeks then every third day etc and will probably take a generic zantac if I have any problems. Ill f/u after I have been able to do this. Next I will do the same with my BP meds by finding a natural alternative with my doctors monitoring, of course. Ready to get off the meds.
  • Posted

I have been taking Omeprazole for several years now.  No problem, or at least I thought there was no problem.

I mentioned to the GP that I was having problems swallowing, he suddenly sat up and took notice.

I now have an appontment to have an endoscopy, only saw him last week !  Once they have checked there is nothing more suspicious, they might stretch my throat so that I can eat normally again.

If it is the cause of the problem, I do not want to go through these treatments again so will ask my GP for an alternative

• Posted

Update on the investigation.  Nothing suspicious found.  BUT they did find a oesophageal pouch.  Apparently its been there since birth !  They can't do anything about it, I just have to live with it and occasionally choke - badly  

• Posted

oh man, i wish i would have found this 3 years ago!!! i have hypOthyroidism, which makes people gain weight and i ALSO take omeprazole !!!

i literally gained over 50#s !!!

ANYONE HELP ME?

cry

• Posted

Can you check my other post about how I cured myself of oesophagitis grade 2, Extreme heartburn, gerd, belching symptoms. It was so worse that I used to vomit acid after coughing. My GI tract was burnt literally because of the acid and 

the pain from the throat to the stomach is unbearable. I could not eat anything.

I used to take proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole, pantoprazole, esomoprazole, lanzoprazole, but I stopped as they are a temporary solution only valid for 1 day and not a cure. Before that I tried all the Antacids, Zantac, Ranitidine, Cimetidine....etc.

Only the following worked for me.

1) Amla juice(1 part) Aloe Vera(1 part), water 2 parts. Mix these and drink early in the morning after brushing. Ensure you drink in one gulp without any air entering mouth and not in sips. Remember that most aloe vera juice available in 

the market is sweetened, or mixed with other preservatives. Also tried to use the raw aloe pulp that can be bought in fiesta, but the problem is with bitterness. To avoid bitter taste of the raw aloe pulp, you have to add honey and too 

much honey is again not too good and it becomes acidic.

Note: Order 2-5 different varieties of natural unadulterated, unsweetened(No sugar and honey) aloe vera juice from market. It should not contain any sugar/honey or any other juice mixed into it. As soon as you drink little bit you should 

feel cooling sensation in your GI tract above oesophagus. If you dont feel the coolness in your GI tract, then it is not for you, so please discard it immediately. This is from my experience.

Amla juice(Indian Gooseberry) is one of the most powerful antioxidant available today, and the richest source of Vitamin C in the world. It works superbly for gerd, heartburn, peptic ulcer, stomach cancer...etc.

Mixing Aloe Vera juice and Amla juice with plain water makes for the best solution to treat these GI related symptoms. The important thing is to take this solution continuosly after brushing daily for atleast a month. You can also take 

it before food in the middle of the day when you get extreme heartburn. 

Recommended Brands: Can be bought from Amazon or local Walmart

Lilly of the desert Aloe Vera juice 1 gallon - $21 approx 

Fruit of the earth Aloe Vera Juice 1 gallon - $6.44 approx

Grenera Amla Powder is also good. - $8.99 approx

When you buy these in amazon, make sure you buy the biggest packs you can afford. If you are using these, make sure that you use it atleast for a month, for a permanent solution.

2) Greek yogurt 0% fat (1 part), water (10 parts). Coriander (5 leaves). Blend these and drink after food.

3) Watermelon juice

4) Drink Warm water multiple times in the day with a lemon slice in it. Dont juice the lemon, just let it float around for few minutes and drink. This increases the alkanity of the water.

Avoid all processed, baked goods, meats, oily foods, restaurant food, alcohol, smoking for few days. Take plain veggie salads and fruits for couple of weeks. Dont mix any spice or nuts or heavy salad creams/dressings, icecreams into 

this. Dont eat chocolates, biscuits, cakes. desserts, sweets....etc.

Instead of eating 2-3 large meals in a day try to take 5-6 small meals instead. 

Eat on time, sleep on time, drink plenty of water during the day. Dont get angry, tensed, depressed for few days. Dont forget to deep breathe. Avoid too much cardio work that speeds up your heart rate, as this causes heartburn. Do light 

exercise and yoga type only without increasing exhaustion and heart rate too much.

Practice pranayama. Take a deep breath through mouth till lungs are full of air, hold the air in for 2 sec. Slowly breathe out. Practice this for 5 mins whenever you have heart burn. This will give you a lot of instantaneous relief.

Let me know how you feel. If you would follow these for a month, your gerd symptoms would be cured within 1-2 months. 

• Posted

Hello,

Your experience is so great, I will try to follow you.

Anybody else here has tried this ?

Thank you so much.

Can you check my other post about how I cured myself of oesophagitis grade 2, Extreme heartburn, gerd, belching symptoms. It was so worse that I used to vomit acid after coughing. My GI tract was burnt literally because of the acid and 

the pain from the throat to the stomach is unbearable. I could not eat anything.

I used to take proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole, pantoprazole, esomoprazole, lanzoprazole, but I stopped as they are a temporary solution only valid for 1 day and not a cure. Before that I tried all the Antacids, Zantac, Ranitidine, Cimetidine....etc.

Only the following worked for me.

1) Amla juice(1 part) Aloe Vera(1 part), water 2 parts. Mix these and drink early in the morning after brushing. Ensure you drink in one gulp without any air entering mouth and not in sips. Remember that most aloe vera juice available in 

the market is sweetened, or mixed with other preservatives. Also tried to use the raw aloe pulp that can be bought in fiesta, but the problem is with bitterness. To avoid bitter taste of the raw aloe pulp, you have to add honey and too 

much honey is again not too good and it becomes acidic.

Note: Order 2-5 different varieties of natural unadulterated, unsweetened(No sugar and honey) aloe vera juice from market. It should not contain any sugar/honey or any other juice mixed into it. As soon as you drink little bit you should 

feel cooling sensation in your GI tract above oesophagus. If you dont feel the coolness in your GI tract, then it is not for you, so please discard it immediately. This is from my experience.

Amla juice(Indian Gooseberry) is one of the most powerful antioxidant available today, and the richest source of Vitamin C in the world. It works superbly for gerd, heartburn, peptic ulcer, stomach cancer...etc.

Mixing Aloe Vera juice and Amla juice with plain water makes for the best solution to treat these GI related symptoms. The important thing is to take this solution continuosly after brushing daily for atleast a month. You can also take 

it before food in the middle of the day when you get extreme heartburn. 

Recommended Brands: Can be bought from Amazon or local Walmart

Lilly of the desert Aloe Vera juice 1 gallon - $21 approx 

Fruit of the earth Aloe Vera Juice 1 gallon - $6.44 approx

Grenera Amla Powder is also good. - $8.99 approx

When you buy these in amazon, make sure you buy the biggest packs you can afford. If you are using these, make sure that you use it atleast for a month, for a permanent solution.

2) Greek yogurt 0% fat (1 part), water (10 parts). Coriander (5 leaves). Blend these and drink after food.

3) Watermelon juice

4) Drink Warm water multiple times in the day with a lemon slice in it. Dont juice the lemon, just let it float around for few minutes and drink. This increases the alkanity of the water.

Avoid all processed, baked goods, meats, oily foods, restaurant food, alcohol, smoking for few days. Take plain veggie salads and fruits for couple of weeks. Dont mix any spice or nuts or heavy salad creams/dressings, icecreams into 

this. Dont eat chocolates, biscuits, cakes. desserts, sweets....etc.

Instead of eating 2-3 large meals in a day try to take 5-6 small meals instead. 

Eat on time, sleep on time, drink plenty of water during the day. Dont get angry, tensed, depressed for few days. Dont forget to deep breathe. Avoid too much cardio work that speeds up your heart rate, as this causes heartburn. Do light 

exercise and yoga type only without increasing exhaustion and heart rate too much.

Practice pranayama. Take a deep breath through mouth till lungs are full of air, hold the air in for 2 sec. Slowly breathe out. Practice this for 5 mins whenever you have heart burn. This will give you a lot of instantaneous relief.

Let me know how you feel. If you would follow these for a month, your gerd symptoms would be cured within 1-2 months. 

• Posted

I have no choice but to stay on these or any other Meds for gastric as I have night time chocking... 

the last time I had night time chocking I really thought my time on earth was over..I couldn't breathe in or out without forcing my air in and out which hurt my throat...

If I could be without them it would be great but I'm so scared now I have to stay on them...this med has given me very bad wind & it's from both ends, so my gp is trying to find one that I can stay on permanently without the wind

• Posted

I started getting horrendous heartburn so my gp changed me to Lansoprazole.  Same manufacturer, but a different formulation. 

Took a while to work, but it helped - for a while !  Got to go back and get something  else as heartburn is back 🙁

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up