Alternatives to Tranexamic acid?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi I have just been prescribed Tranexamic acid by my doc for ridiculously heavy periods, but don't like the potential side effects and haven't gone and got the tablets yet.

I asked the doc if diet could be a factor and all she knew was caffeine and alcohol could be a factor but I don't take either of those so I know that's not my problem.

However looking into diet and menorrhagia online I have foiund that lots of studies show low levels of vitamin A to be a common factor in women with excessively heavy periods. B-vitamins also play an important part in blood clottting particularly B6.

HAs anyone else tried changing their diet or taking vitamin supplements instead of (or aas well as) taking these pills? I don't think taking a pill is necessarily the best option especially as it does not deal with the causes, only the symptoms - and I would rather try to deal with this naturally rather than take synthetic chemicals.

Tales of any successes - or failures - you have had in combating this with dietary changes greatly appreciated - thanks

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi! Please don't be afraid to go with the Tranexamic acid. Like you I have battled for years with excessive bleeding beyond belief. Tried diet changes, taking certain vitamins, you name it I did it! However, got to the age of 45 and I've now been given these tabs and I can honestly say for me it has been a life changing event, without any side effects!! I can hardly express adequately the difference it has made to my life! Just give it a go for a month. See how you go from there. All the best.
  • Posted

Hi thanks for replying smile

I am always reluctant to take a pill until I have tried everything else. I was recently speaking to a friend of mine who is a very highly qualified therapist who does all kinbds of bodywork. She told me that she sees many women with the problem and almost all of them had their problems start after a back injury. As it happened, mine did too - and I always blamed my inital excessive bleeding on the anti-inflammatories I was taking.

However my freind explained to me that when we injure our backs, quite often we injure the Illipsoas muscle too - which is a deep abdominal muscle which has a role in supporting the womb and it's structures. I have indeed had a deep internal muscular pain on my right side ever since the back injury, although I had not put two and two together.

She used a deep massage technique on me to release the illipsoas muscle last week. I have not had a period yet (I am due in about 2 weeks) but I am hoping this will have changed something.

My deep abdominal muscles still give me some pain but it's nowhere near as bad as it was, I may go for one more treatment to release it some more and see what happens.

I will report back after my next period and let you know if it had any effect!

• Posted

I would also be interested to know if anyone else has had a back injury before having these problems?
  • Posted

If I had my time over again, I would NEVER take this drug. I was prescribed Cylokapron for heavy periods about 9 years ago when I was 42 and the side effects were unpleasant. I stopped taking it and went back to my doctor. We decided that I would use a Mirena as the next step, although my periods never returned and I have been suffering through a HORRENDOUS menopause ever since. My mother and 4 sisters all began their menopause around 52 (older than I am now) and had a very easy time. I am now in my 9th year. My doctor says that it could not have been the drug that caused this but there is no other explanation. I think I was on a particularly high dose. My advice - don't take any drug just on the advice of a doctor. Find out as much as you can about it.
  • Posted

Hi Freya

I'm with you!! I'm 51 and am having the most horrendous periods, especially this week when it has become out of control. Had to have a hysteroscopy last week and am resisting the mylena(?) loop and now prescribed tranexamic acid. Really don't want to take them (had them 3 years ago when this all started but they stayed in my cupboard!) and would rather a natural remedy. My therapist has advised vits A, B, C, E, selenium, zinc and ?? as well as soya - she sailed through hers so will take her advice! Yes I too suffer from a bad back, though caused by carrying too much duty free when I was 21! Anyway 1st day today of the t acid out of pure desperation. Totally sympathise!!

• Posted

An update - I have had 2 periods since having my illipsoas muscle released - the first one was a breeze, barely any pain at all and whilst my period was still really unpleasant (large clots) it wasn't as heavy as usual.

The second time I had virtually no pain again (usually I am in agony, can't sleep etc) so that's a definite bonus, but was back to being heavy again - although not as bad as it has been previously. I may now go and have the muscle seen to again as I can feel it is still not quite right in there even though it has improved quite a lot.

I am thinking this muscle/back injury thing is a big factor in what is going on for me, although I am fairly certain it won't be the same for everyone.

But then the number of people who have back problems/injuries is huge so who knows!

Hope you have some luck Gill, T Acid would be a very last resort for me as it looks like it is for you - so sorry you had to get to that point! What on earth is going on with our bodies eh, it's not right is it...

• Posted

Hi new here,was just at my doctor and said about how past 2 years have had 2 to 3 days of this floding period problem,I am 46 and also getting nightsweats and some hot flushes and other peri menopausal symptoms,anyway she gave me the tranexamic tablets and I of course have looked them up and worried about side effects like thrombosis clots etc.My only other option was the Mirena but because of a fallopian issue I cannot have anything insertered into my uterus.I am curious about back injury which I have and deep tisue massage,have you all seen Yuma body rolling?apparently it used on belly can help with lts and even heal adhesions,break them up.I think I might try VitA and body rolling first.Not keen to pop a clotting drug into my system.Someone also mentioned about large clots,on this drugs info it says not to be used if you have clots or irregualr cycle.
  • Posted

I took TA out of sheer desperation for 3-4 days. I go to a reiki therapist for my back pain and she recommended vit A, B, C and E, plus selenium, manganese, zinc and soy. So I bought some tablets and feel so much better since being on them. I won't know if it's made a difference to the heaviness until next time (whenever that will be and who knows if it will last 2-3 mths like last time) but will keep taking them in the hope of avoiding TA as don't like taking any tablets at all really. So good to hear from other women going through the same thing - sometimes you feel so alone!!!
  • Posted

well since my post back in April I never did go get those tranexamic tablets, I did the body rolling thing and took vit A only during the period along with naprosyn if I had pain as I notice naprosyn seems to slow the bleed and help pain,anyway in June the periods were 21 days late and when they came i had 2 flood days as usual then 3 days mild and gone, the next month they were spot on 28days apart and a normal flow no floods, then this month 12 days late and its day 15 of bleeding,I had at least 6 days of bleeding with clots and floods so up I went to the dr as naprosyn wont help pain and vitA isnt doing a thing, she gave me the script for the daym tranexamic again even after I said well it stipulates not to take it if you get clots or irregular periods, its like she dont like that I can read and get informed about my health,she said ok Im sending you to the gyno and think you need a hystoscope, DnC and the Mirena, I cannot have interuterine devices of any kind and definately not interested in a hormane inside me also in the list of women who cannot have Mirena I fit into about 6 catergories of CANNOT HAVE IT, admittedly she isnt my dr I have seen for 15yrs but a new one I found last year so she has no idea on my background, her referal letter is all incorrect with what I have had or what I take.Now I was thinking time for Novasure till reading horror stories about it so maybe thermal ablation? anyone with advice for when I see the gyno?
  • Posted

hi betska

since my vitamin mix, haven't had another period. Just hope that's it but then it might all come back with a big bang! yes my gyno was almost insisting on a milena - think they like doing these things! i had the cyto back in march to check for cancer (under local not general and was i brave/stupid!). personally I wouldn't have any invasion type device even when I was flooding like crazy i still would have had the t/acid. would definitely go for the vitamin mix before you do anything else just in case it works (i use the tescos menopause one), also helped with mood swings as well. it really helps me to know there are others out there knowing what it's like because you feel so alone sometimes best wishes gill

• Posted

Hi

I take these Trans tablets , across a few years I'm 46 and have heavy periods. I only take half a tablet 3 times a day, 2 days of my period. I also take a root called MACA that I swear by. It contains all the vitamins you need as a perimenopause woman.

Ali

• Posted

Hi Ali,

if you still go on this site, how do you take MACA and how much? Thanks for any more info on that - I have been suffering with extremely heavy periods for the last 4 years, take Tran. acid although I don't want to (and my prescription is running out and I don't think the dr. will prescribe it again), and refuse the hyterectomy every dr. recommends. I take many supplements, acupuncture for 3 months, and even take organic dessicated liver pills (for when I get massively anemic). 

• Posted

Hi Julie

Yes I take One Maca capsule a day, use the capsule as I found pure powder caused me heartburn. I do still use Tram for heavy periods but I break the tablets up and take a quarter every 4 hours, I've had no trouble for quite sometime I'm now 47 years old running around after a 4 year old and looking after elderly parents with my own business so I must be doing something right. My glass is always half full which helps in life.

Good luck.

Ali

• Posted

Hi

I took TA for a year after years of very heavy periods to begin with it worked on the prescribe dose which went from 2 tablets 3 times a day up yo 2 x4 times a day... I wasn't happy about increasing the dose so looked into an alternative ... I found on line someone recommended Pure lemon juice mixed with pure pineapple so I gave it a go..... I have been using this now for nearly a year and it works!!!!!! With no side affects xxx hope this helps someone else xxx I'm now 54 so I now hoping for the menopause soon!!!!

• Posted

Hi Tina,

If you still look on this site, how much do you take of the lemon juice and pure pineapple? Do you mean pineapple juice or some other form? Thanks for any info as I would love to get off the Tran. Acid!

• Posted

I looked into homeopathic remedies after Ibuprofen stopped helping with my heavy periods. I am overjoyed that I found that juice helps! I don't know why, but I have never in my life had a period this short and "manageable". I used 3/4 cup pinapple and 1/4 cup lemon juice as was suggested in homeopathic forums. It helped immediately. (This is not medical advice and you should consult a doctor) I am SO happy and will make sure I have the juice on hand next month too! 
    • Posted

I just used juice. May find a way to incorporate it into a yummy smoothie. 
    • Posted

Hi rose23672, that's so great that something helped! Could you be more specific: Do you drink the juice all at once? Or in smaller amounts? Right when you get your period? In the morning or throughout the day?

Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.