Alternatives to Tranexamic acid?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi I have just been prescribed Tranexamic acid by my doc for ridiculously heavy periods, but don't like the potential side effects and haven't gone and got the tablets yet.

I asked the doc if diet could be a factor and all she knew was caffeine and alcohol could be a factor but I don't take either of those so I know that's not my problem.

However looking into diet and menorrhagia online I have foiund that lots of studies show low levels of vitamin A to be a common factor in women with excessively heavy periods. B-vitamins also play an important part in blood clottting particularly B6.

HAs anyone else tried changing their diet or taking vitamin supplements instead of (or aas well as) taking these pills? I don't think taking a pill is necessarily the best option especially as it does not deal with the causes, only the symptoms - and I would rather try to deal with this naturally rather than take synthetic chemicals.

Tales of any successes - or failures - you have had in combating this with dietary changes greatly appreciated - thanks

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

drank it three times on day one, three times on day two, twice on day three once on day four. So far, so good!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.