Am I alone?? Perimenopause so bad i've been hospitalized.

Posted , 28 users are following.

It's a very long story but I will try to keep it shortened. I am now 49 just about to turn 50 but this has been going on for years. i remember the yrs of itching skin like ants crawling and biting, then suddenly it disappeared and i didn't think of it again.

It started in 2013 I had been getting severe electric like shocks in the top/ back of my head, so painful my legs sometimes buckled. it was fleeting so i never saw a Dr. then started to get a numbness in my left ear which would also disappear. The head shock hit hard one afternoon and again gone. i went to bed that night and woke with a completely dead left arm, feeling came back but it was never the same. i went to the drs i had CT scans, nothing. I was referred to a neurologist. while waiting. I was hit with severe neck pain, body pain, numbness and burning on the left side of my face and arm. then i was hit with severe hot flushes that were more like waves of fire, none stop. Then i was hit with what felt like a severe ongoing UTI (no infection) Migraines, vertigo, burning mouth, anxiety through the roof, insomnia... I was and am in so much pain but Drs weren't listening to me. eventually i was put on HRT and hot flashes settled but nothing else. I had MRI blood testsetc for MS, Lupus etc results came up nothing... so i have been treated like a mental patient. I am sorry to say that i fulfilled their assumptions of me when i could take no more and overdosed. I was in hospital for 5-6wks.

Since then i have been put on Carbamazepine to stop the burning sensations which it has, in combination with duloxetine for anxiety and pain and metazepine for insomnia and combo for pain plus pain relief panadiene forte as well as the HRT. My Dr has told me flat out perimenopause and menopause do not cause pain (Dr is male) i have no other dr to go to in my town. I feel very alone as no one i know not even family members have or are suffering as I am. Is there anyone out there like me? or am i truly alone in this?

6 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 6 years into menopause at 50 years old. I can barely eat, can't walk unaided, have migraines so bad I can't leave the house. I wake up in the morning afraid to open my eyes because sometimes I am blind, sometimes everything is blue for hours. My life as it was is over and I don't like this new one at all. Thankfully my doctors get it. They support me as best they can. My neurologist says I have functional neurological disorder from the stress put on my body for so long.

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

I'm so sorry you are suffering so, my heart aches for you knowing how frightening this all is and how painful and debilitating it is. I'm glad you have a good Dr who understands what you are going through as mine doesn't have a clue. My neurologist also said i definitely have a neurological disorder but that is all he said.

Is the temporary blindness as a direct result of menopause? I do not have blindness only blurry vision. Do you have a partner who helps you at all? I don't have a partner myself i have been on my own for 12yrs

• Edited

Please try deep breathing. you can search for "pranayama" on youtube for several tutorials. it takes time, but will surely help in some way with anxiety and overall feeling of wellbeing. if you can include some walking and basic yoga poses, that will further help in many ways. Above all, eating healthy home cooked food and drinking plenty of water and getting adequate rest. all this does not cost money but only needs your time. if u do this persistently, there is no doubt in seeing some kind of progress in mental and physical health.

I would say, just give it a sincere attempt for 3 months. you can thank me later! :p

I am 47, in peri and been thru many symptoms. i have done the above and its helped me a lot. hence my suggestions. i still get them on some days, but, nothing that i cannot manage.

• Edited

Thanks Lina,

Thank you for you're suggestions, i do already live a healthy lifestyle as i am Pescetarian i don't smoke or drink or take drugs, unfortunately until i had to take the medication i am now on for all this. I did already suffer from PTSD, anxiety and panic disorder so the anxiety and panic from the Peri has made things far worse. I have tried meditation most don't work for me so i find other ways to find comfort. None of this is possible if i cant get up off the floor because of pain cant think because of migraines and facial pain etc But i definitely walk and self sooth in times when i can.

• Edited

I love you ladies! I'm a feeling like hell today today. I already had bad PTSD from childhood and I thought it was finally gone in my mid 30s but now peri has made it return with a vengance. Afraid to leave home, dissociation. And yesterday I started having heart palpitations, dizziness and bad stomach upset. I'm afraid to eat today, trying a salad. I already know I have gallstones and previously had appendicitis at 40 so always terrified of that as they left it in. And I eat SUPER healthy, paleo and gluten-free since I was 18!!! When no one used the words. I am 47 now and in the US there is no menopause or maternity leave. I don't know how we do it ladies, but we need to speak up and get doctors to take the severity of peri and menopause SERIOUSLY and design treatments that truly work, even if it means indefinitely delaying the change. We don't need to necessarily be able to have children like men in their 70s, just to function and feel and look well.

• Posted

Hi Sakura,

I'm so sorry to hear how you have been suffering too. we really are a strong bunch of ladies. I too have previously suffered from PTSD, anxiety panic disorder and though its in all of my medical files i don't usually share that suffer from Dissociation but since you have been brave to disclose this information i can do no less. Thank you for sharing.

The heart palpitations i actually thought was from the peri anxiety but i have had it on its own many times, so bad sometimes it thumps out of my neck and i can hear it and blood whoosh in my ears, i have vertigo and Tinnitus which has been really loud since i started medication. I guess you have already been doing the right thing with your healthy diet. i dont have gallstones thank goodness you poor thing. Drs definitely do need to get more educated into the many varied and horrific symptoms many of us get and not just say its only hot flashes and night sweats etc

• Posted

I have Tinnitus too lol! Thanks for sharing your PTSD mention, I haven't found anyone out there who has it it like me and understands since mine was from childhood not a war. Wishing a cure/better treatment will come soon for all of us lovely ladies!

• Posted

Oh you poor thing, I COMPLETELY empathise with you, this menopause nightmare gives me the bloody pip too!

The last four years have been truly horrid, nearly every part of my body has been affected by some pain or weirdness....to the point you do begin to think you are going crazy or that there is something seriously wrong! I have seen my doctor on a regular basis because of so many different symptoms, so much so he greets me like an old friend now! unreal!...as I hardly ever went to a doc before menopause took over my body! He is a lovely doc and is trying to help me but I am embarrassed and I apologise every time saying "I'm back because....." something else is wrong!!!

My latest issues are constant wanting to wee, uncomfortable feeling & pressure in my lower abdomen, like its the start of a urine infection but its not as I got it checked! Also dizziness, unsteadiness, pins & needles up and down my left arm and weird numbness sensation all on my left side plus pain in my left foot which runs up my lower leg with numbness on top of my big toe!! Feel totally knackered in the morning and have constant post nasal drip!!!

I have resisted HRT but gave in the end of last year and was put on Duavive, which helped my asthma/post nasal drip/constant coughing and throat issues, and the hot flushes vanished almost immediately! but after a while I began to feel pressure building up in my hands (horrible) and also I found out it was made from horse pee!!!(poor horses!) so I stopped ....but after a few weeks all my symptoms came back. I am just starting on Body Identical HRT and hoping this will help me, fingers crossed.

Best wishes to you Shylee, you are not alone on this menopause journey, I hope it all passes soon for us xx

• Posted

Hi CinnamonCat,

Wow i cant believe how much you sound like me, I don't usually mention the post nasal drip and constant sore throat because i didn't think it was a part of it even though i never had it before and lets face it talking about boogas is embarrassing LOL but everything has completely changed. I don't know what my HRT is made of i never heard the horse pee thing before but to be honest i don't think i'd care if it was made from grizzly bear poop at this point as long as it keeps helping. The bladder issue was a massive one for me. i could not walk or get up, i cried all the time and i'm not a crier. it was like having the worst UTI of your life and it would never go away. the pressure to have to pee all the time even when there was nothing there. I too tried to stop some of my medication horrified at the amount i've been put on but unfortunately symptoms come back and although what symptoms i have been left with its still better than i was for sure. I do hope the BI HRT you have started works for you. I'd be interested to know how well it works for you and how fast the results if you wouldn't mind keeping in touch? Good luck with it.

• Posted

Hi Shylee

Ofcourse I can let you know how I get on. This is only my second day, speak to you in about a months time 😃

• Posted

Hi Shylee

I hope this update finds you feeling better?

Well, I have been on Body Identical HRT (Prometrium 100 & Estradot 50 patches) for about 6 weeks now and so far so good!....hope I don't tempt faith saying that 😃 It is not causing my body to bloat nor pressure in my hands like the Duavive did. I am also getting to sleep quicker and actually staying asleep! My stomach issues (pressure & pain) have settled down too but not sure if its because of the hrt or coinsidence! Sadly it hasn't helped my nose/ asthma/ chest/ breathing issues like the Duavive did. But, I am happier on the body identical hrt knowing it is better for my body to process.

Anyway, hope this update is helpful to you, best wishes x

• Posted

hi cinnamon

thank you for your update. I'm so glad you are having some positive results. do you think some alternative medicine and diet changes might help?

I'm hanging in there thanks but not a great lot of change happening for me as i cant change the doses of what I'm on without triggering more issues.. feeling extra lousy right now as i couggt some flu bug off a child coughing all over me in woolies the other day... so annoyed, i haven't had a cold or flu in donkeys years and i have 7 grandkids so thats saying something.

hope you get more and more improvements the longer you're on the hrt

• Posted

Hi Cinnamon

I thought I would follow up with you... how are you doing now I months later? I have some similar issues as you so am interested.

Thanks

Tams

• Posted

I'm so sorry you have been having it so tough. I have ms and have for years. .Just a few thoughts. Did they give you contrast dye in your MRI scan. They used double contrast on mine and it showed up my small lesions when symptoms first started. They then did a spinal tap and checked my fluid for what I think was called bands of something. I had vision loss optic nerve damage and pupil was very dilated during my earliest attack. This Is pretty common. I also had a sensation when I bent my chin forward to unbuckle my seat belt that felt like sudden electricity or tingling running all the way down my spine. there is a name for it it is Lehtermans syndrome but I dont think I spelled it correctly. That is a sign of ms. I'm not saying you have ms . I am just letting you know the format the dr used to diagnose me. Usually with ms you will have some pins and needles symptoms or numbing in hands , fingers feet or toes. This can last forever or go away depending on the type of Ms or severity of an exacerbation. . You can go completely numb anywhere in your body and your vision can be affected. There is treatment during an exacerbation by use of steroids in a hospital setting. There are many other symptoms of ms but those seem to be the most typical ones I hear of and have had starting out with it . Its good they didn't diagnose you with ms because if you had enough damage caused from if it it would have probably showed up on an MRI regardless. I am so sorry you are having such a tough time. You are not alone. I too feel very alone and I feel peri is worsening my ms the past few months and it is really hard to cope with . Dr wants me to go up on my antidepressant but I dont want to as it is effexor and will be very hard to taper down or come off of . I went from 150 to 75 mg 3 yrs ago and it put me in bed for a month with constant anxiety attacks and more. I had a nervous breakdown of sorts and it took me a full year to begin to be able to function again symptom free. Thankfully I could recover. 1 although I thought and felt for a solid month like I was dying. . I couldn't get out of bed list 15 pnds and it was all caused by trying to go down on this medicine. So going back up is not happening . I have been too afraid to take more or less of it since. and going through peri I really need something more or soon will . Maybe hormones will help but please take it from my own experience and many others who say dont try effexor for help thru peri or for anyother reason, lol . Good luck to you and hang in there . I hope you can start to do small things to feel better like maybe reading or drawing or exercising. I know its tough when you feel bad to do things to nurture yourself or relax. But little things can really help us cope and they add up to big things and bigger smiles. Bless you and hang in there.

• Posted

Hi Tam,

Thank you for your reply. I'm so sorry to hear what you are having to deal with. Having MS and Peri must be an enormous struggle every day. With the MRI is the dye something you drink? I'm not sure but i vaguely remember having to drink something. My memory is shocking.

I was already put on HRT when all the burning skin and numbness on the left side happened and was put on the other medication before the carbamazepine which did end up working for me for the most part. I still have breakthrough burning and pain but its tolerable. what i was previously going through there was no way i could get through it. I honestly can not really describe what it was like adequately.

In the past I have been on Effexor and tonnes of others but for 12 -13yrs i was completely medication free, until all this. I am pescetarien so i eat pretty healthy, very limited processed foods, i don't drink or smoke. etc. Its been an unbelievably hard life and seems the other half is going to be as much of a nightmare. i do hope this stops soon and i can enjoy something before i push up daisies.

Hang in there xxx I'm thinking of you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.