Am I still suffering from Serotonin Syndrome or Brain and Nerve Damage??

Posted , 38 users are following.

Please help, 2 weeks ago I was prescribed 50mg sertraline for intrusive thoughts, but was not depressed. I took my first one and about 6 hours later I had a very bad reaction I had a fever my blood pressure was high, I had diarrhea and my mind was cray I knew instantly that I had poisoned myself, it wasn't until a week later I read up on serotonin syndrome and realized I experienced all the side effects and still suffer some of them to this day, here are my symptoms I have and have got worse short term Memory loss, agitation, irritability, muscle twitching, shivering, restlessness, sweating(up my neck and scalp mostly), hallucinations derealization/depersonalization, feel disoriented at times, muscle spasms which are painful at times, tingling/prickling sensations in my hands feet chest arms and legs, pressure at the back of my head. I don't get it I was a happy outgoing person until the doctor insisted the tablet would take away intrusive thoughts, not only do I still get them but get even worse! hallucinations! I don't want this sad Have I got the effects from serotonin syndrome or is this permanent nerve and brain damage? sad please help I am quite worried and no one wants to listen to me rolleyes

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello!  Can anyone tell me whether their doctor or health website lists tingling in legs or arms as symptoms of serotonin syndrome?  I have many of the same symptoms as you do Hayley, including shivering, chills, sweats, tingling in feet, legs and arms , tight muscles...especially hamstring.  Itstarted In January when I tapered off lexapro and tapered onto to cymbalta.  It got really bad, and the a bit better once I was on cymbalta only.  But it's still there.  Why doesn't my doctor know of these side effects?
  • Posted

you need to stop the medication asap... ive just come out of hospital after a severe seretonin syndrome..i only took 2 tablets of paroxetine and within hours was in hospital on a drip..i had all of the sytmptoms you are explaining along with vomiting, burning temp... are you aware that severe cases can end in death so if i was you i wouldnt tk anymore chances.. the only cure is to stop the tablets and let it come out your system but i would stop them right away...it will only get worse..you could have seizures or heart failure.. its not a joke.. i was so ill id hate for anyone to feel like i did.. luckily my doc came right out and called the ambulance.. you need to stop taking them.xx
    • Posted

Thank you Lisa for your post. Many people do not understand just HOW these meds can effect your entire nervous system. Prolonged use may bode well for the doctor and pharmaceutical companies bottom line but for patients? Not so well!

So serious are the side effects that many times they are permanent and patients LONG for the days of simple antiexty or depression

I would just add for Haley, whose post was five months ago, to step off with her doctor knowing every move. Each person is different. I was alarmed when I read her symptoms as well. I didn't have the dramatic story you have shared so I was more cautious.

Good luck to all of you... 

• Posted

Hi Hayley, 

how are you doing now? Did you recover?

Cheers, 

Laura

• Posted

Hi Laura, I noticed your post was the most recent,I took two 5 htp tablets and on the third day I started to feel very poorly, my head,neck and shoulders were so painful and tight.i couldn't eat and I was having very bad panic attacks,and couldn't sleep,my doctor thinks I'm intolerant to seratonin anyway that was a month ago, I ve just started to eat a little more, but I hardly sleep my arms and legs are tingly.i just wondered if you knew how long these symptoms last for.i hope you are well x
    • Posted

Hi Fudgeybear1, 

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. It's incredible what damage even a freely available supplement can do. I've read some horror stories about 5HTP, Inositol and other supplements that "hack" the bodies natural regulatory systems. 

You're doc is probably right, your body is not tolerating this stuff. It's great that your doctor acknowledges this and doesn't just call you "crazy", like all my doctors do. 

Unfortunately there is no way to tell you how long these symptoms will last. You're probably lucky that you didn't try an antidepressant. That would have likely damaged you even worse. There is some people who just can't handle antidepressants. You and I are probably among those. 

What I've learned from my experience: 

- Don't try to "fix" this situation with medication or supplements. I have seriously damaged myself trying to do so. It's very tempting but it just doesn't work. 

- Be very kind to your body. Eat well, take time off work if needed. You need to focus on healing.

- Don't despair. There's more people out there with the same symptoms. This will pass. It's just like a car accident. S*** happens in life, but it also passes. 

I would recommend to not ever touch an antidepressant under any circumstances, given your reaction to 5htp. Doctors might not understand the full risk because these reactions are quite rare.

I hope you'll heal soon. 

Best of luck, Laura

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the links as they were to sites unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I've had serontonin syndrome off sertraline and metroclompide mixed together I was left in it a week into I realised myself after seeing 2 doctors and 3 pharmacist all saying it was in my head. I had to cold turkey all drug syndrome went the next day but the withdrawal hitting me hard and I needed up hospitalized almost sectioned until the mental health looked my case over and completely freaked at everyone and immediately started me back on ads to sort the damage out. I was probably I'll for 3 weeks but no longer term damage other then maybe I'm more sensitive to meds now if there is a side effect I'll get and I was never like that before. It's been 8 months since I had the syndrome and still sensitive to meds x
    • Posted

I realised it myself too and tried to tell different doctors but they keep telling me it's a MS relapse.. even though I've not had one since my diagnosis Jan 2008. I was drinking heavily then. I barely drink now (the odd glass of red wine in an evening), I eat healthy and exercise regulary. They think that because it's something I bought over the counter (5HTP), it's not harmful. Even though I told her I also take amitriptyline when I need to. She was trying to push methylprednisolone (steriods) on me to treat a relapse but I'm too scared to take anymore tablets. I took an amitriptyline on Sunday and Monday night which made my symptoms worse but when I told the doctor she still didn't believe me. My sister is a psyciatric nurse and she said I have all the symptoms for SS and still the doc didn't believe me. I can't believe we have to put our lives in the hands of such wreckless fools!

I've been extremely dizzy for about a month now and have been numb and tingly on my head, face, tongue and right down my left side for almost 2 weeks. That's just 2 of many symptoms.

I am also in shock that this was caused, in the most part, by a supplement I bought at a health shop! It's fair to say I'm nothing short of disgusted.

• Posted

Hi riblets 

so sorry you're going through this. This definitely sounds like Serotonin Syndrome. It also sounds like it's time to change the doctor. She should have heard of Serotonin Syndrome, it's a recognized syndrom. 

You took a tryiciclic antidepressant together with 5-HTP. If you put them in a drug interaction checker, you'll get a warining for Serotonin Syndrome. 

I don't think you would have gotten Serotonin Syndrome only from 5-HTP. I would bet the antidepressant made it possible to happen. 

I hope you feel better soon. It's 10 months after my adverse reaction. I'm starting to turn the corner very slowly. 

Cheers, Laura

• Posted

You need to stop all serontonin drugs and it should stop within 24-36 hours if it is. I had it again in September the phsyhacist convinced me to try sertraline again promised I wouldn't react 2 days later I was getting blue lighted to hospital having seizures. Tbh beening in serontonin syndrome as long as you have you should be dead it may be just a bad reaction to serontonin which minicks syptoms of serontonin syndrome but isn't. It has a fancy name.lol. to have serontonin syndrome you have to having involuntary movements/siezures insomnia sickness and diarrhea extreme aniexty or hullisations. Rapid heart rate. Temperature and your pupils dialite so you can't see any colour in your eyes. You feel like your going out your mind I've had it four times now and if you had serontonin syndrome there's no way your could be left in it for a month straight without your heart giving out. I was pushing it close with a week x
    • Posted

Hey Laura,

thank you for your kind words. I'm sorry you've had to go through this too. It's awful but I'm glad you're turning a corner.

I actually think I have neuroleptic malignant syndrome though. It is very often misdiagnosed for Serotonin Syndrome but the symptoms can last longer. It can also be fatal but it seems to be triggered by a melotonin overdose not serotonin. Some of the treatments are the same as MS treatments so I hopefully won't have to much bother getting help.

It is really frustrating that doctors and my family keep telling me it's an MS relapse when I know it's not. Doctors need to realise that most of the time we know our own bodies better than they do. I'm glad I've erred on the side of caution. If I had continued on the amitriptyline I shudder to think what might have happened.

I pray you have a speedier recovery than have had so far Laura and also recover to full health.

kindest regards

Rebecca

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, 

thanks so much for your kind words. Wow, neuroleptic malignant syndrome sounds even scarier than Serotonin Syndrome. I'm glad you stopped the amitriptyline when you did. 

I totally understand your frustration with the doctors. I've had to deal with absolutely idiotic docotrs telling me my muscle twitches, convulsions, sweating, shaking etc were all just in my head. 

Now I'm convinced that doctors are of almost no use at all. They can serve very limited purposes like removing too dark birth marks, doing surgeries after accidents and stuff. But most other illnesses need either the root cause identified or just time to heal, none of which our doctors are trained in. 

They prefer to just throw toxic drugs at us that may help in the short term, but almost always harm us in the long term. 

I hope you feel better soon Rebecca! 

Laura

• Posted

Hi Lauren, thanks for your reply. You made me realise it's not actually Serotonin Syndrome I have but neuroleptic malignant syndrome. It is very similar and I do or have had all those symptoms apart from hallucinations. A lot of my symptoms are still quite prevalent (I did stop any and every type of tablet when this happened) and it's 2 weeks on but hopefully I'll get treated accordingly. Thanks again for your input. I really hope this doesn't happen to you again! x
    • Posted

Hi there , i am a victim of Serotonin Syndrome . i was prescribed lythium and Nardil by an over Zelous PHSYCHIATRIST  for normal Depression 25 years ago. My whole body went into convulsions ,musscle contarctions . my speach was slow and slured . my teperaure was high .. i writhed like a snake .. i couldnt walk unaided .. looking like a puppet on strings when i did atempt walking .. i was given diazepan and a hospital bed .. Almost told i was making it up , ? I was then put on the drugs again to see what the reaction would be (CRAZY,  know now )  The same reaction hapened again severeley , this time done more Permenantly Neurological damadge ..My spine is now crippled , i jerk alot when in rest , i can no longer take antidepressants I have had a Proffesor Ashton Expert diagnose me as having had this horrible condition and some place i am in records and books as i gave permission to release my medical records .... But do Doctors take me seriously through the years? NO ..The sad thing is i never needed such strong meds in the firts place  as ive lived my life since without !!   i wish you well Guys Never carry on taking a drug if your  fingers start to twitch or toes .. Doctors dont always know best , if they had i would never be in the situation i am in now .   ..
    • Posted

So sorry to hear that Christina. Did you look into legal action? The doctors put you a second time on a drug cocktail that caused Serotonin Syndrome and left you permanently disabled. I think you deserve some compensation. In which country are you? 
    • Posted

Christina,

I have been suffering with all depression medications. I suffered a four month long battle with SS. I need something for my depression and can not find a drug that works without causing me head pain. Do you have any advice? Or does anyone else?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.