Am I talking French? M.E. and communication issues

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hiya,

Does anyone here with M.E. have communication difficulties which result in not being able to understand what someone else is saying and having to get another person to explain what they mean? Example: I was on bus yesterday trying to use a new top up bus pass. I swiped it on the swipey thing - a red cross came up (like the X factor!).I presume that meant-'Not worked' (it beeped as well) I had just topped it up - so I said to the driver-oh Ive ony just topped it up. I tried to swipe it again but same X appeared. The driver snarled at me- "No! It's done!!" and repeated again "No youve done it now!" I thought he meant - "its done, thats it now, youve mucked it up" because of his angry tone and body language. I had to get the person behind me to explain what the now angry driver(!) had meant. Only then did I understand what the driver had meant. Frustrating!

Anyone else had this problem?

3 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just seen this discussion and read through - all very fascinating!

It is also very reassuring to know that many others are having same problems and nice to read ways of dealing with them.

Whilst reading through, the thought came to mind that our brains seem to function like predictive text! We know what we want to communicate/say and that's what we think comes out but, if you're not careful and don't check, that damn predictive text has completely changed everything!

• Posted

Hi Elmo,

That's a good way of looking at it : )

I told someone I lived somewhere I used to live, said no then went on to say somewhere else I used to live said no again then finally came out with where I really live! It was quite amusing as I obviously knew I was saying the wrong thing but, my brain really struggled to come up with the correct answer. It was a bit amusing for me luckily rather than embarrassing.

I say all kinds of nonsense things and other times struggle to think of the correct words so try and describe with my hands.

Do you close your eyes and find it easier to think? It really helps me sometimes.

Best wishes

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Elmo69, Thanks for replying. Yes it is so like predictive text hey - I am laughing but also cringing at the words that have come out of my mouth that Id not intended to say and the look of shock on peoples faces and they cant understand I didnt intend to say that. Im so glad we have this forum so we can discuss our symptoms and realise also we are not alone- it is so important hey.
    • Posted

I will definitely try closing eyes and see if it helps.

Thankfully, my hubby and daughter have begun to understand that I do not mean what they think I'm saying. :-)

• Posted

Your comment was so funny today Beverley 😄. I'm going to try thinking with my eyes closed. 😌. Except when I'm driving! Hah!
    • Posted

Hi Beverley,

I have to agree with you about closing your eyes whilst thinking. I hadn't realised I did it until I read your post and today I found that every so often I would close my eyes while trying to solve a problem at work. It serves to eliminate some of the distractions in the workplace.

• Posted

Hi Iso,

I believe that's why I do it too, the mind cutting out distractions. Wish I could do the same with the sounds when I need to : )

Beverley

• Posted

So good to know that I am not alone. Even if contact is only by messaging. 

I am really struggling today. Attended a wedding yesterday and it has wiped me out.  I should. Or be surprised but I was.  I have been reasonably ok reacently and have forgotten about pacing.  Was getting dressed for a meeting this morning, and it took me a while to realise how much I was already struggling just to do that.  At least I had the sense then to realise I could not attend the meeting, or if I did I would not be able to contribute anything much.  In the early days of this  I would have just pushed through to my detriment. 

It has been good to hear from you all. 

• Posted

Bless you Pat, Sending you lots of hugs. Brighter days will come again. xx
    • Posted

Thanks for your message yesterday.  A bit better today.  Not so wobbly.

its difficult to explain the wobbliness . But I feel solid inside today rather than liquid.  The brain fog has cleared a bit as well .

• Posted

Edit bits that did not come out right.

"went to a wedding Saturday". (If this is Monday ?) 

"should not have been surprised" 

it takes so long to type and check when I am like this, and still I miss bits

• Posted

Hi, I've had CFS for a couple of years but only got a proper diagnosis in Feb (not a bad time frame from what I've heard!) I find talking on a phone very difficult which I think is down to the lack of body language which can obviously help with interpretation. I can't always work out what tone someone is using without looking at them. I also have the classic symptom of poor concentration and I think this is where most of the communication issues arise. If I'm constantly distracted I can't follow the conversation but I lack the ability to focus for long enough, sometimes I feel I have understood something only to realise minutes later that I haven't! Another issue I have come across which doesn't help is that my hearing can often be distorted especially in loud environments. Luckily at work my colleagues recognise my "I have no idea what you mean" face and so will often try to rephrase what they're saying.
    • Posted

Hi Iso, you've just made me realise why I struggle so much with phone calls! I have had a dread of using phones for past few years, always put it down to knowing I had some early hearing loss. Of course, the poorer hearing doesn't help.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Elmo,

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I've read other comments about not understanding humour and I've found that over the phone you miss some subtle cues necessary for humour. Again I think this is because I need to see people to fully understand them. Do you ever find this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.