Am I talking French? M.E. and communication issues

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hiya,

Does anyone here with M.E. have communication difficulties which result in not being able to understand what someone else is saying and having to get another person to explain what they mean? Example: I was on bus yesterday trying to use a new top up bus pass. I swiped it on the swipey thing - a red cross came up (like the X factor!).I presume that meant-'Not worked' (it beeped as well) I had just topped it up - so I said to the driver-oh Ive ony just topped it up. I tried to swipe it again but same X appeared. The driver snarled at me- "No! It's done!!" and repeated again "No youve done it now!" I thought he meant - "its done, thats it now, youve mucked it up" because of his angry tone and body language. I had to get the person behind me to explain what the now angry driver(!) had meant. Only then did I understand what the driver had meant. Frustrating!

Anyone else had this problem?

3 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just remembered a funny postcard that my hubby bought me about 3yrs ago - it sums it up nicely:

"I know you believe you understood what you think I said but I am not sure you realise that what I said was not what I meant"!

I had it laminated and it's on my kitchen wall!

Evidence that I was obviously having symptoms even then!

• Posted

Love it . A version of what I want to say to my hubbie when we seem to be having the same conversation, but understanding a different version.    We both have CFS/ME

• Posted

Hi Pat,

How awful that you both have CFS/ME. How did you both get this if you don't mind me asking?

Best wishes

Beverley

• Posted

He has had it for 26 years, being dependent on me for 3-4 years.  He has gradually recovered enough to have a reasonable quality of life, but not back to his former self.  It still catches up with him if he is not careful.

i have had it from early 2012.  I have had post viral twice over the years, but it has only lasted three months.  I thought it would be the same in 2012, but it continued.  I should have recognised it, but tried to keep working.  finally crashed and was immobile for a year,  I have periods of recovery where I think I am getting so much better, but if I forget to pace, or get a virus it catches up again. 

There are some things we really want to do together, such as travelling, and we know that it will throw us back, but we regard it as a trade off. We don't do that too often,as it takes too long to get back on our feet again.

a virus can throw us back, and not so good if we both get it at once. 

There are time when one or the other gets a setback and we don't know the reason. And  there are times when we just muddle through together.  

A lot of people have assumed that it is connected, but it's just coincidence. We were both very active before having it.  Some say its a factor, some disagree. 

Hope  that gives you a picture.

I don't mind if you want to ask more. 

• Posted

Hi Pat,

Thankyou for your reply and I guess like my friend and I at times it will seem a positive that you both have it as you're both aware of how awful It can be. But, thinking of just you now, how hard to care for your husband when you feel bad. Do you have other support? Family etc?

Hope you're feeling a bit better today.

Beverley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.