Am I worried about nothing?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello! :D I am posting this to see if anyone can offer me some advice, as I am a bit of a hypochrondriac, and occasionally need a kick up the backside to stop myself diagnosing myself with anything and everything. Now, before I begin, I will admit that recently I have been suffering with anxiety, so the issue I am about to tell you about may potentially be caused by this. Anyway, the issue is this...

Whenever I look at things, no matter what it is, I feel like I can see a faint circle of light, and it looks like it's aligned with where my pupil would be. I don't have sore head, or any pain whatsoever in either eye, it's more annoying than anything else. I'm not sure if it's a "floater" because it seems to remain in the same place, whereas I thought floaters kinda moved around.

Any ideas?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did you go see an eye doctor?  how old are you? could it be cataracts?  i highly recommend you seeing a eye doctor.  My husband had a problem and no pain what so ever and ended up having a detached regina.  (not the same) but still.  when in doubt see a doctor.
    • Posted

Hello, Cheri! I haven't seen an eye doctor yet, the issue has only just started happening over the past few days. I'm 27.
    • Posted

ok so you shouldn't have cataracts, but no when it comes to eyes i don't mess around.  i will give you a very quick example,  i have been to 7 different eye drs and had about 4 surgeries and still not correct.  like i said see a dr.  eyes are more important than any part of your body.  think about it.
    • Posted

I agree, and I will. I'll make an appointment to see my doctor a.s.a.p. Do you mind if I ask how old your husband was when he was diagnosed with a detached retina? The only reason I ask is because a website I checked said that most people are in their 60's and 70's when detached retinas occur. In the meantime, do you think it would also benefit me seeing an optician and having my eyes tested?
    • Posted

he was 59 but i know someone that was younger.  it doesn't seem like that is what you have.  more like a floated that is not moving.  but please please stop trying to diagnois yourself and wait to see what a doctor tells you.  That will drive you crazy and that in itself will make you sick.
    • Posted

I know, I will. I am terrible for self-diagnosing, my friends and family shout at me all the time for it. It's because I'm a panicker, and very much an over-thinker. 
    • Posted

I would go to a good local optician and ask for their advice but not Boots.

I went there with a problem last year and they told me to go to A&E. 

• Posted

There's a Vision Express quite close to me, perhaps I will try them. It's a good thing you replied, as Boots was were I was planning on going.
    • Posted

If Boots told you to go to A/E then they suspected a serious problem which needed urgent attention.   Any good optician would do the same when it was essential not to waste time and get a professional ophthalmologists opinion.       
    • Posted

No, I had been there two days before for my annual eye test so they evidently thought nothing could be wrong or did not want for a second time be caught out. When I went to the eye clinic they diagnosed Ischemic optic neuropathy.

The year before days after an eye test a doctor noted that I had nystagmus and I went back to ask why they had not noticed that. They said that is not something we check for as we only check the health for the eyes.

• Posted

My wife went to Boots for her annual eye test recently. They put drops in her eyes and they did not react quickly enough for their liking so they put more in. The pressure in her eyes then went to high and they became concerned and asked her to wait until it normalized. That took two hours but they were still concerned and told that if she had a problem with her vision or a headache that night or on the next morning to go to A&E.
  • Posted

David, I know you don't want to hear this, but our eyes are precious, I suggest youcheck it out with a doctor. Dena
    • Posted

That's good advice to be following... Well done! I agree with other posters here, when it comes to eyes, don't mess around.

May I add that as a self-proclaimed hypochondriac, you might just as well resign yourself to frequent vists to doctors, and factor that into your lifestyle.

The very best cure for hypochondria is constant reassurance from the medical profession.

The other alternatives could be hypnosis or meditation.

Keep us posted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.