Am I worried about nothing?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello! :D I am posting this to see if anyone can offer me some advice, as I am a bit of a hypochrondriac, and occasionally need a kick up the backside to stop myself diagnosing myself with anything and everything. Now, before I begin, I will admit that recently I have been suffering with anxiety, so the issue I am about to tell you about may potentially be caused by this. Anyway, the issue is this...

Whenever I look at things, no matter what it is, I feel like I can see a faint circle of light, and it looks like it's aligned with where my pupil would be. I don't have sore head, or any pain whatsoever in either eye, it's more annoying than anything else. I'm not sure if it's a "floater" because it seems to remain in the same place, whereas I thought floaters kinda moved around.

Any ideas?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

That's great! It's a comfort to know whatyou're dealing with, then start on the road to recovery. smile
  • Posted

Hey, everyone! I wanted to quickly reply to this topic, to let everyone know how my eye test went. It was today, I booked it last night, and it went really, really well. I scored 100% in pressure, in layers, in vision, and in the actual test, itself. I don't need glasses, and she said my vision is actually very strong. I do, however, have a floater in my left eye. Now, because this was my first ever eye test (27 years without one, I was genuinely not aware that you needed to do these things regularly), she is referring me to the hospital, for a second opinion. She says she is not worried at all, and that if there were anything serious she would be sending me to A&E tonight. She just thinks there is no harm in a second opinion from an optometrist, and that she thinks they'll tell me exactly what she did. She said, as I am suffering from slight anxiety, the other thing that could be affecting my vision is a slight visual aura brought on by nerves and anxiousness. So, I am very happy about this. :D
    • Posted

David:

Just saw your last post done a few minutes ago.  I am so glad you went to an optometrist! And glad you are probably OK!

Marco

• Posted

Hi David:

About this jinxing remark of yours, I do not know if  are kidding or are genuinely angry with me. If the latter, you must undestand I meant no harm. It wrote "probably" because you wrote that you were going in for a second opion. Your case did not seem absolutely definitely diagnosed as OK.

Marco

• Posted

I was kidding, Marco. :D I am confident that everything will come back okay. In the meantime, my optician has told me if things get worse to come back and see her and she will try to get me referred to the hospital faster. 
    • Posted

Sounds like a good result. Was that at Vision Express? I have twice had floaters. Each time they were caused when I was prescribed Amiodarone for my heart condition. Each time I stopped it they were gone in a few weeks.
    • Posted

It was at Tesco, actually, haha! The optician was really nice, put my mind at ease.
    • Posted

They sounded very efficient. Boots have a bad reputation for low wages and seem not to keep good staff and import more from low wage countries like South Africa. One told me that they get moved around a lot and he was now nearly back at Gatwick and about to go home. 

• Posted

Yeah, she was lovely. It's so weird, as well, because when you think 'optician', the last place you think was 'Tesco' - but my mind is seriously at ease, and once I get the second opinion from the hospital, I'll be able to put it behind me, and start getting my eyes tested more regularly. 
    • Posted

Eye checks can detect quite a variety of health issues. Some one I worked with had a brain tumor detected by an optician that saved his life.

They have equipment now that can do detailed 4 dimensional tests:

It is commonly known that structural change in the eye often occurs long before you might notice any functional change or loss (sometimes by as much as 12 years). The Spectralis 4D HD Eye Health Examination offers you the peace of mind that comes with knowing that your eyes are healthy or that your optometrist will detect the smallest change before you do, thereby reducing the risk of sight loss and improving our patient's lives.

• Posted

I am definitely going to make this a regular thing. I could kick myself for being so ignorant all these years. You have all been great, though; great and extremely helpful. 
    • Posted

As you get older you will find that there are other tests that you should have that there are now national screening tests for. 

Men have been neglected for this sort of thing for too long compared to ladies and we are only begining to catch up.

• Posted

Dear David:

Eight days ago, I had emergency surgery for what is called a retinal tear. Increased  floaters were a possible indication of this tear as I found out reading articles about floaters.I too wondered if maybe I was exagerating in my responses which oscillated between apathy and extreme worry. I finally went to an optometrist and lo and behold, I was part of the 2% in whom floaters indicate a potentially grave eye condition. So one big lesson  I have learned is that if you detect ANYTHING unusual in your body, go promptly, if not immediately,  to the appropriate practisioner, in your case, an optometrist.Don't put it off : that halo might indicate something serious.You have nothing to lose by going, everything to gain.

Marco

• Posted

Thank you, Marco. I am being referred to see my optometrist. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.