Amitriptyline 10mg causing more anxiety/flu like symptoms?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am taking 10mg for almost 6 months now. I feel recently it has been causing my anxiety to skyrocket at night time. I get the chills, naused, stomach hurts, heart racing, jitters, etc. I cant sleep when this happens. I was wondering if anyone else is having these issues? I would like to get off this medications. I am on it for fibromyalgia. 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm weaning myself of this medication which I was taking for headaches 6 mth ago.I'm having trouble doing so as I get anxious and heart pounding.

• Posted

I had been on 10mg for about 6mths for bladder pain syndrome, was good but started having anxiety and not sleeping, racing heart at night and general panic symptoms. Dr told me to stop taking and was worse for a bit then went on 1 serepax at night for bout a month..seemed to come good but went thru much misery,not sure if it was them or not.!!! Have had bladder trouble again but will just try tocope with that now, bit scared of amytrptiline nowin case it was..
    • Posted

I was on 25mg, it made me angry and no other symptoms. Now back down to 10 Mg and its just been hell. Ive had to start taking Advil PM to try and sleep at all. The panic attack/anxiety attack symptoms make life horrible. 
  • Posted

Hi Kristen I had all of the side effects you have plus chronic insomia I was on 10m for 11 weeks I'm off them 10 weeks now I just quit and I would not advise you to do that I had horrid withdrawal symptoms my advice is to taper off slowly for your own sake I'm currently having to take 2antidepressants to balance out the withdrawal will have to take them for 6 months just could not function with out them but I have learned that had I tapered I would not have had such a hard time

• Posted

Hi Desmond my withdrawal symptoms I had many worst one was insomia and anxiety rapid heartbeat sweating vomiting and dierea pain in the side of my head and constant buzzing inside my head withdrawal was dreadful I just could not function i
    • Posted

Thanks for reply. I get weird pain on left hand side of head 24/7.rapid heartbeat. I'm definitely gonna get of these pills. Thanks once again.

• Posted

just taper as slow as you can they are very strong meds and cause horrid withdrawal if you just stop taking them
  • Posted

Hi I ttoo have fibro and was put on 10mg at night, I felt it wasn't strong enough so doc changed to 25mg which completely zones me out. I only take them when my leg pain is bad as this effects my sleep. I have never experienced the symptoms you describe. I also take 20mg of citaolpram for anxiety but take this early afternoon. Apparently you are not supposed to take the amptriptyline as and when, but I don't want to become reliant on it for sleep. The rest of time I stick to paracetamol for pain. This generally helps me to function as I work a week on and a week off. You should consult your doctor if you think medication is causing your side effects. However fibro causes all sorts of weird symptoms. Elaine 

• Posted

Hi, I was excatly like this after taking 25mg( then reduced to 10mg) for six months. On the top of that I was experiencing excessive sweating, huge weight gain and abnormal tiredness. I stopped it all at once. The symptoms got slightly worse, but I carried on not having it and looking for alternative therappies - meditation, walks and positive thinking helped me too. Now, seven months after I stopped it, I can say I am almost back to my normal self (although still fighting with the weight gain, but it's slowly, very slowly getting back to normal). Absolutely AWFUL medecine. Good luck and hope this helps.

• Posted

Hello I to have just decided to stop amitriptyline, only been on them for 2 weeks so was still to get any benefits, from the drug, I suffer with possible tarsal tunnel - peripheral neuropathy in both of my feet, tests still ongoing, but side affects were just to much, still after just 2weeks I have a very very high heart rate at night is impossible to sleep only 2days in from trying to quite only took half a 10mg last to nights, and the insomnia has just been crazy, made me realise I've defently made the right decision, if these are the symptoms from just after 2 weeks of taking 10mg witch I know is very low! I could not imagine trying to get of these pills after a year + of taking them, and at a higher dose!!! Very very powerful!!!

• Posted

Well done mate for coming off them.I was on 10 mg for 8 mths. I weaned myself off .I still get few side affects but hey I'm off the pills .and I feel in control of my seif now.

• Posted

Cheers Desmond, it was a big decision, as only just started the medication and obviously, I want to be better, but in this case, the bads just out weighed the goods!!! And like you said I just want to be me!!! On amitriptyline I wasn't me, don't know who or what I was!! But it was not me!! And it's not nice!! Don't know weather to look in to any Chinese natural medicines!! Who knows, I'll keep looking!!! Thank you for you reply! Managed 3 hours sleep last night thanks to a 50mg sleepeaze!!!

• Posted

Try Epson baths salts. They are really good. Make you feel relaxed and get at least 6 hour sleep. I was recommended from my daughter I laughed at first. But they work. Give it a try and let me know how you get on cheers. Have a nice day
    • Posted

I did give Epsom salt a go once but probably not enough of a go!!! I've got about 10 kilo of it lol!!! How often would you recommend, 20mins a night!!! A told my podiatrist, I was trying Epsom salt and she laughed at me!!!

• Posted

Lol.20 minutes every other night. Just stick with it for a week so how u get on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.