Amitriptyline

Posted , 7 users are following.

My GP has prescribed a small dose of Amitriptyline for my persistent lower left hand side pain. This was originally used for depression but was found to have a calming effect on the colon in some people. 

I wonder if anyone has experience of using this? I'm rather worried about side effects and worsening constipation. I'm inclined to hold off and hope the LHS pain will eventually settle.

I am taking Fybogel and a probiotic fibre supplement but cannot work out why the pain level varies so much. This is not an easy disease to understand!

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I personally would take paracetemol and try and try and ride it out. Im wondering if you are having enough fibre l not a lover of medication going through my gut. Have you had a colonoscopy
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind response. Yes, after my first flare up in March which was treated with antibiotics I had a Sigmoidoscopy a few weeks ago which confirmed DD. Since then I've had mild to moderate LHS pain most days but not all days and despite keeping a food in and out diary I cannot work out why I have good and bad days. 

Perhaps it is just a feature of this disease? I'm going to hope that it will eventually settle down and try, as you suggest, to ride it out. I'm guessing other sufferers are in the same situation. 

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi

Fluctuating pain seems to be fairly common with this disease and can go on for several months after the flare.  For my first 3 flares, the pain eventually subsided after a month.  However I have now had 3 further flares in the last 9 months and still get niggling pains when in certain positions or on bending.  Although I know my trigger foods - gluten and full fat - sometimes the pain was for no apparent reason.  But they are not nearly as bad as they were and hopefully if there are no more flares, I hope they will go.  As this was your first flare I hope your pain will eventually go completely, once your insides finish healing.

• Posted

Thank you so much for such a sympathetic and encouraging message.  Yes, bending and sitting definitely feel worse, and standing on tiptoes relieves the pain a bit, but that's not really practical for any length of time! 

It's good to know that the fluctuating pain I am experiencing is not unusual and will probably abate in time. Meanwhile I try to make the most of the 'good' days and try not to get too depressed during the bad times. 

Thanks again.

• Posted

I have left hand side pain which I have found difficult to treat simply with buscopan and paracetamol. This pain was keeping me awake, sometimes all night, and I ended up exhausted. I had used amitriptyline in the past for sleep problems so doctor suggested I took a small dose at night if required - generally 10mg. I have found it a useful addition to my arsenal of treatments.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for this, very helpful. I have been advised to take 5mg to start then increasing to 10mg.

I shall plod on for a bit without, but good to know that it has helped you. 

• Posted

My stepfather is on this for diahreea and it helps him.
  • Posted

Your post is very interesting, I was prescribed Amitriptyline, many years ago for depression and don't recall any bad side effects.  I woudn't worry too much about taking it if it helps with the DD.    

• Posted

I also have lupus so two horrible diseases to deal with but l do go to the gym and acqua classes and this does help me as it brings up a lot of wind that would outherwise be rumbling around my stomach.
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind reply. Although I shall try to hold off taking it, it's good to know that if I need to try it the side effects shouldn't be too bad, especially on a small dose.

• Posted

I have not been prescribed that ever. I do take dyclomine for spasms. It is a colon relaxant. Slight seditive.

I take fiber too but I don't feel it moves me well enough. I friend just told me to buy pear juice. She says it works well to keep your biwels moving..

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I shall definitely try some pear juice. I'm always looking for some variation in the liquid intake!

• Posted

It was difficult to find. If not grocery store maybe organic grocery store.
    • Posted

Are they working? Good if so 👍. Watch skins. Doctor told me they are hard to digest. Don't want the be gross but you can see them when you have bm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.