Amitriptyline

Posted , 7 users are following.

My GP has prescribed a small dose of Amitriptyline for my persistent lower left hand side pain. This was originally used for depression but was found to have a calming effect on the colon in some people. 

I wonder if anyone has experience of using this? I'm rather worried about side effects and worsening constipation. I'm inclined to hold off and hope the LHS pain will eventually settle.

I am taking Fybogel and a probiotic fibre supplement but cannot work out why the pain level varies so much. This is not an easy disease to understand!

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I too was prescribed amytryptiline at a dose of 10 mg. I have been on it for 3 months now with no side effects whatsoever and no constipation. If you have persistent pain I would recommend you try it. I am not one for taking any medications but this has certainly helped me . Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for this response. I've had a really terrible weekend with lower LHS pain so am contemplating trying them. It's good to know that you haven't experienced any side effects. The leaflet that comes with the tablets is a bit scary but, of course, we are on a very low dose.

Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.