Amitriptyline and alcohol

Posted , 25 users are following.

I have just been prescribed amitriptyline 10mg for neuropathic pain. Is it unsafe to drink any alcohol when on this or is one drink ok as it is such a low dose? I am very confused so haven't even started taking it yet! 

3 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I drunk alcohol when I started as helped to relax me knowing I was taking new meds!.. I also take methotrexate. Alcohol just makes me tired quicker... Just in moderation I'm sure you'd be fine. We have to live too :-)
  • Posted

Thank you snowcat! I don't drink much at all, just the occasional one with friends or a glass of wine with a meal. I have given so much up in my life recently because of my health and can't face not having a life., I know the pills can make you drowsy so shall take them at night. Hopefully it'll be the best night's sleep I've had in years! :-)
  • Posted

I have nerve damage due to diabetes which I have managed to cope with until recently. It is all over but particularly intense in my hands and feet at bedtime. It is weird as it is not always in the same place. 
  • Posted

If I drink more than 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks (less than 300ml each drink) then I will contimue to take Amitryptaline that evening, but if I have more to drink I will not take amitryptaline at all or I will halve my dose so that I have something in my system
  • Posted

That's useful. Thank you. I think I will have to get settled on the meds and then it's a bit of trial and error. I guess the information leaflets always give you the worst case scenario. :-)
  • Posted

not a good idea to mix that medication with alcohol... if ur taking any medication its good sense surely  medication and alcohol dont mix ...amitriptyline and alcohol is not good mix ... causes giddyness dizziness and nausea and yes of course ..the reason why ppl DO drink wen on it... it makes u much more drowsy... if ppl tell you its ok.. well hahaha you for takin it as medical advice if u want ur meds to work effectively no alcohol..if u like the feelin those meds ur on make u FEEL more than nueropathic remedy..u still choose to drink more fool you.... mental health and alcohol dont mix well generally and that NOT taking into regard medications you may be taking...if the amitryptiline is working for ur pain...there are other options other than resorting back to what u may have tried in past more often than not ..most prescribed is that of the Opiate family from codiene , tramadol oral morphine.. Fact: Opiate Medication Is Not A Real Option When Neuropathic Pain Is Involved... I Got Told After 20yrs Of Different Levels Of Using Ora-morph To Codiene ,,tramadol.. Now!!! I Have A Good Gp....an Honest Gp..and There Are Other Options Gabapentin Pregablin Are 2 Drugs That Can Be Prescribed To Treat Neuropathic Pain.. Both Are Well Known Anti-epileptic Drugs, Used In Head Trauma Pain And Spinal Or Main Nerve Pain...since Ive Started On One...i Need To Tell My Gp It Works Well ..i Feel Less Pain Now Than Ever..
  • Posted

good morning kate  

i am only new to this discussion and what brought me to it was exactly the same as you ...i was prescrubed Amitriptline as I have very bad bowel problems many operations and left with extreme nerve ending pain in my back passage ...... what was said to me was yes you can have a few drinks ( i was heading off on holidays) if I had toooooo many best to not take a tablet for that night but to start back 

i have had a few drink most weekends and i am now on the tablets 3 months 

on a side note .... i ran out of tabs and had to renew the script so i did not have any meds for over a week and the pain came right back 100% .... but when you start taking them for the first time your body is slugish but this does go after a week or two ............ you'll be fine they have given me a new lease of life by taking the pain away .........cheers 

• Posted

Hi so would u say it's ok to have 2 glasses wine. I'm on 10mg at night. Just been on them 2 weeks and how long do they take to get in your system?

• Posted

Firstly, I never said it was a good idea and 

Secondly I merely said what I do. I do not go out and get wasted, I only have a glass or 2 at family get to gethers and other special occasions. 

This site is based on opinions and personal experiences, I told Kate my personal experience with it, in no way id I tell her it is perfectly fine to drink on it, and I even said the amounts that I do allow myself on occasions. I take Amitryptaline for back pain not as an antidepressant and it doesn't make me particularly tired

• Posted

Thank you Claire. I totally understood your message and I too do not go out and get mashed ever! My confusion is because the medication leaflet I have only talks about the meds as an antidepressant which is a dose if 150mg+ and not as a pain killer which is a 15th of this dose at 10mg.  

I have several occasions to go to in the next few months where it would be nice to toast the bride etc. 

I have consulted a GP now and have advice.

thank you all for your opinions. 

• Posted

I have been on Amitriptyline and Gabapentin for the last couple of years. Both medications say to avoid alcohol but I have found that I can enjoy a drink. I have had more than a couple on occassion with no ill effects, I may just be a tough old bird! I wanted to share my experience as, like you, I asked around and made a decision that was good for me. If you do decide to have a drink I would advise caution as we are all unique and it would be awful if you were out and had an adverse reaction or fell asleep in your meal. I have Fibromyalgia and am told it's for life & I was not ready to sign the pledge so had my first drink with meds at home with people I trust. I hope this has helped you and given you a smile and that your meds work for you :-)
    • Posted

Absolutely, I also have fibromyalgia, a lifelong condition. Am on Amitriptyline too. Enjoy a drink, a few glasses of wine on nights out and special occasions, and even at home when I have had a difficult day. Always aware of how much I drink, but find it helps with a frankly difficult condition.
    • Posted

Hi I've just read your post, I too have fibromyalgia, I refused gabapentin recently after only having tried I dose, I didn't like the way I felt on it, I've just started amitriptyline and I've halved the dose as I felt like I was going to fall over all the time, it's only my second week.

How are you finding the medication?

• Posted

Heya love. With any medications you need to be taking it for 2 weeks at least before you can know for sure if itshe giving you sideaffects. I've been taking 75mg of amatryptaline for a week now. I'll tell you that day one was fine went to sleep easy as pie and wok up in the night with horrible sweats and physical irritability. I felt very uncomfortable as I constantly wanted to twitch. It was like a scratch I couldn't itch. Well the next night same happened again but during the day I was fine. (Usually happen arounds 3am as I take them at 10pm) the third day however I had the physical irritation all day and it on lyrics we think away if I was really concentration on something. Now a week later I'm fine. I sleep and stay asleep all night smile no waking up, no sweats no irritability. In regards to drinking I'd say no more than 2 spirits and chasers. You don't really want to be consuming more than that and taking your pills. I'm on 25g so I'm conked out at night. If your on 10mg I'd say 3 at a push depending on howany tablets you take. Obviously it says no alcohol for a reason as you don't know how your gonna react. So keep an eye on it. Maybe have a half dose if you've had a couple of drinks. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.