Amitriptyline and alcohol

Posted , 25 users are following.

I have just been prescribed amitriptyline 10mg for neuropathic pain. Is it unsafe to drink any alcohol when on this or is one drink ok as it is such a low dose? I am very confused so haven't even started taking it yet! 

3 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you. That really helps! :-)
  • Posted

That's good to hear. I forgot to tell you that I'm on 50mg at night for pain. I hasten to add that my poor memory is due to a mixture of Fibro-fog and a recent rise in my Gabapentin dosage and not down to alcohol consumption he he he lol
  • Posted

Hi Kate16158

I note on your post (10 months ago) that you consulted your GP for advice regarding taking Amitriptyline with the odd glass of wine.  Did the GP say it was OK?  I've been on this med for just over a month and have been not been drinking alcohol at all, however I am going to a wedding next week and would like to know if a glass or two of wine is OK.  Thanks in advance for your reply.

• Posted

I have been just prescribed Amitriptyline for pain and was supprised to find out that it is licenced for depression!  I was also looking at the site to find out more about taking it with alcohol,  I have been prescribed 10mg a night.  I don't get wasted either but I do have quite a stressful job working with students that have special educational needs and challenging behavior and I just like to get home at night, put my feet up, relax and have a glass or two of cider or beer - not even strong stuff - just enjoy it!  A lot of people that I know doing this work do the same thing and after all, doctors have always been notorious for going home and having a couple of strong drinks at the end of the day!
    • Posted

I take 25mg every night.  I did have a glass of wine on Friday about 2 hours before I took the meds and I felt fine.  I would only do this now and again though and I wouldn't overdo it.
    • Posted

Thanks, wouldn't overdo it, just like to get home and have a drink whilst relaxing.  Going to start taking them tomorrow as it is my birthday today and have been bought some Old Speckled Hen and have been enjoying it!  What the hell it is my birthday!!  Thinking maybe one will be okay?
    • Posted

Happy Birthday for yesterday! I think you just need to monitor how the alcohol affects you with the meds as everyone is different.  I didn't drink any alcohol for the first month to let my body get used to the drug.
    • Posted

Thanks!! :-)    I have decided to leave it until Friday to take my meds as I am a bit worried how they will affect me and I don't want to oversleep!  Someone that I work with had them for pain and has told me that they knocked them out.  So it will definately be no alcohol until I know how I am affected, and certainly in moderation if I decide to have one.
    • Posted

Yeah 2 drinks is fine. As long as your aware. I'd say only take a half dose if you have a few drinks.

• Posted

It's prescribed for sleep deprivation, anxiety, depression and pain relief. I take it for the 1st 3 reasons. Your on a low dose so as long as you don't drink till your Tipsey you'll be fine.

• Posted

I have been taken off 20mg  Citalopram and put on  10mg Amitriptyline for 10days then to increase to 20mg per day, to combat the pain of fibromyalgia, these tablets have affected me quite badly, I honestly have felt like I'm losing my marbles the last 10 days!! I've been really emotional, bursting into tears for no particular reason, short tempered, feeling dizzy & desperately tired. Just wanted to know if this is normal & if these side effects lessen the longer you take it? Has anyone else experienced this, would be comforting to know I'm not the only one!!!
    • Posted

What you're experiencing there Louise is withdrawel from Citalopram not side effects from Amitripyline. These side effects are well known when withdrawing from such medications. Have a short search through some posts on google regarding withdrawel from Citalopram and you'll soon find you are not the only one, it is a terrible experience. Luckily you are on a lower dosdage, but I had a horrific time coming off a similar medication. 
    • Posted

Louise this really concerns me for you. I'm not a Dr, but 2 Drs have told me under no circumstances i should be on these two antidepressants together due to seratonin toxocity. I've experienced it & it's horrific & extremely dangerous. My fear is that's why you feel crazy. Are you sure you shouldn't get a second opinion? I'm very senstavie & experienced it on only 40mg endep & once again on another occasion on a standard dose of Luvox. But i thought I was having a break down. Safely reduced dose with Drs guidance and better straight away. Also the biggest issue I see with these drugs is that they don't work if you consume alcohol so expect them not to be as effective the next day after one two many. My GP said I'm ok to drink one or two glasses. My psychiatrist was against any alcohol. Good luck & pls take care.

• Posted

Hi I know this is an old discussion but I feel I should add my experiences on this matter, I had a vitb12 deficiency until I was 30 unable to absorb it thru foods or vitamins, only knowing through symptoms of Alzheimer's (forgetting things 6 times leaving the house and having to return!) shooting pains all over my body but particularly my hands and feet when trying to relax, eventually I was diagnosed and now have vitb12 shots, which brought me round, but my memory will always be a bit bad, I was prescribed amiltryptaline for the nerve damage, and for a year all was well I don't drink often and never even thought about it when I would have one or two, then I started suffering headaches, which after a long while realized if I had a drink it would escalate swiftly into a migraine where I would be throwing up, took me a few times of having one or two to realize that drinking was related to the migraines, at first I had to be sure and evidently showed even a quarter of a drink would escalate into a migraine,I then stopped drinking for 4 months but the headaches stayed and the migraines became more frequent, the only thing I could do was come off the amiltryptaline which in turn stopped the migraines eventually, but now I have to live with the shooting pains which are awful, as the other shooting pain meds will cause the same headaches and migraines again. I can't help thinking if I hadn't drank I could still be pain free. Warnings are there for a reason we can mess with the chemical balances even having an innocent drink on the rarist of occasions 😕
    • Posted

I've just started amiltriptilyn and have had a nasty reaction on 1 glass of wine, I felt sick and got a very upset tummy, could have been coincidence, I don't know might have to try the wine drinking again.

I'm having b 12 injections too due to bowel surgery, I have diverticulitis and fibromyalgia.

Not getting any pain relief yet, I have spinal pain particularly in the coccyx.

Any advise?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.