Amitriptyline and alcohol

Posted , 25 users are following.

I have just been prescribed amitriptyline 10mg for neuropathic pain. Is it unsafe to drink any alcohol when on this or is one drink ok as it is such a low dose? I am very confused so haven't even started taking it yet! 

3 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was going through a bad breakup, and my doc got me on antidepressants, and the minipill as i wanted to start it. After couple months migraines came, my bloodpressure skyrocketed, eyes hurt and i was forced to go on sickleave 3 months while testing everything possible at the drs office, even mri.

Nothing wrong with me exc to high bp for a 30 year old healthy girl.

I took it into my own hands and started going off one med at the time. Slowly got better but still had migraine and high bp, then may last year i stopped my antidepp and i promise u the same day migraine was gone!! The doctors had told me not to cut it and said it couldnt be that as side effects would not come 2 months after starting it. I went med free couple months, then tried my mini pill but got headache after couple days and stopped it. All good again.

Now i started ami last week and have gone ok to minor headache today but wont tell it off just yet, but will if it turn into migraine again.

So my point is some meds can get u real sick. I was almost suicidal in the end as had to live in the dark with pains everyday for months. So i suggest u stop taking what ur having to see if its them or you giving u the headaches. smile

• Posted

That is such a very small dose, that I think you can eat, drink, and be happy. I take 20mg everyday, with no problems.
  • Posted

I'm on 10mg of Amitrip together with Venlafexibr as an alternative to coming off 40mg of Citalopram (which I've was on for over 20 years). I have psoriatic arthritis, spine probs, chronic pain, long term depression, anxiety, insomnia, Chrons disease and Chronic uveitis. I'm also on steroids (prednisolone 40mg daily for the last 9 years)), renatidine, Celebrex, Adcal & Bisoprolol 40mg. I'm 40 and I work full time and I also drink 2 bottles of red wine a night and I am absolutely fine and have been for years on this combo of meds. Drinking has no effect on me. I know it's wrong but it works for me.

• Posted

My neurologist knew I had not got on well with antiepileptics for my bilateral neuropathy so prescribed Amitriptyline at 10 mg also but said rake it everother day initially so that's what I do and enjoy a drink also . I get a really good nights sleep and then a not so bad the next day but not as much mugginess the next morning

• Posted

I read that you solicited advice from the doctor...that is the best and safest way to do it. Even if someone has the pretence to be a medical professional on here no one knows if they really are. That does not decry the valid and interesting feedback. But although I would never say to do this in real life as it's unhealthy ..take it with a whole heap of salt 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.