amitriptyline and weight gain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone found a better solution to migraine than amitriptyline? 2 months on 40mg increasing to 70mg. Already overweight! I have read about a lot of people being unable to control their weigh on these, am worried about continuing. Had propranalol in the past but didn't help the migraine. Also have Tinnitus, which I think is worse on amitriptyline...

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was on amitriptylin for 8 months. Loads of side effects but ref weight gain...put on two stone in two months and my diet had not changed at all and overall put on 3 stone in the 8 months. i don't get migraines, was taking them for neuropathic pain, but to be honest they did not help in that department more than the meds I was already on and the weight gain let alone all the other side effects were not worth it..aside from the weight gain sent me in downward spiral for those months. Been off them now for nearly 2 months and only weight lost was really ill (untelated matter) and not a lot of weight loss but I am paralysed so if at all possible it will be extra difficult for me to loose the weight. Wish I had never seen these drugs. Did tell the doc wanted off several times but was told to stick with it. I have since read lots of cases on here of people suffering significant weight gain on here on amitriptylin..and most struggling to loose after. Hope you find an alternative that works for you.
    • Posted

That's awful. What's in these pills to have such an effect? I'ts crazy! I've just picked up my next lot of amitriptyline as had a crap weekend with migraine... I'm definitely going to monitor my weight, coz if I speak to the doc now I doubt they will listen.
  • Posted

Wow Victoria that's very substantial weight gain..have been on them for 16 yrs now ..never had a weight problem from them...just goes to show how different the side effects are for different people, many on this forum have the same problem.....infact many varying side effects too..do hope you get sorted soon.have a lovely day..God bless..:-) xx
  • Posted

One word chocolate since taking amitriptyline hooked on chocolate can't get enough of the stuff lol before it was no and again but now since last May it's gone mad
    • Posted

Funny you should say that! Me too! Haven't bothered with chocolate for years, last few weeks that's definitely changed... 

Shame it's not carrots I fancy instead. That would be better!!

• Posted

I've always had a thing for chocolate lol! But I haven't seen an increase since being on amitriptyline. I tried giving it up for a year beginning new year but lasted a month and now I'm just careful with how much I eat
    • Posted

I tried a hour and failed lol can't do it

I don't smoke or drink I need something lol

• Posted

I have heard some people say hy crave sweet things on amitriptilyn so might be something in it but I did not and my diet very healthy
    • Posted

It does seem unfair gaining weight without any change in diet. We are not supposed to drink on amitriptyline either, so glass of wine for a treat gone! Be nice if we could have a treat without any adverse effects..

• Posted

its easy to put it on not so easy getting it off I lost 2 stone before I was on amitriptyline all I did was cut off cake and biscuits sweets etc
    • Posted

My downfall is crisps, and wine, and now chocolate. Need to do some exercise!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.