amitriptyline and weight gain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone found a better solution to migraine than amitriptyline? 2 months on 40mg increasing to 70mg. Already overweight! I have read about a lot of people being unable to control their weigh on these, am worried about continuing. Had propranalol in the past but didn't help the migraine. Also have Tinnitus, which I think is worse on amitriptyline...

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You are it's called typing lol lol smile the weather been good I can't walk far at the moment
    • Posted

I think I missed the good weather, my day off it rained... hoping for a good summer. Might make us all feel better! smile

• Posted

I have been on Amitriptyline for a few years now and it has caused significant weight gain. I developed chocolate cravings which is not like me at all.

I am in a lot of pain all of the time and depressed so I have decided to ween myself off of it as clearly it is not helping with the pain or depression issue. I will have to seek alternative meds. Being overweight is very bad for your health and I am now trying to address this issue. My health is bad enough without adding more problems.

• Posted

Hiya Sarah, Amitriptyline was first used as an anti-depressant.a long time ago..then they realised it stopped pain at the nerve end from travelling around the body..hence we use it for our Fibro pain etc,,,..I've been on it over 16 years now...( never had it increased)  the bonus is I reckon I would probably have depression too if it wasn't for them...but I take 25ng at night before bed and I have a great nights sleep and no pain, making so much easier to cope with bad days...have you tried making your own chocolates..I do..and believe it or not it's healthy...cacao powder and coconut oil...fillings I just sisk then bend raw cashews to a butter,then add whatever flavour I want...very easy...must be kept in fridge though..worth a google...worth a try..do hope things get better for you Sarah..have a lovely day..be blessed..:-) xx
  • Posted

Hi Christine

Thanks for that useful info Christine. Sadly my amitriptyline is no longer working for me. It took a while to find the right doasge for me because I was suffering from a lot of its side effects. I'm sort of trapped between the devil and the deep blue sea. I am in so much pain now that I figured I had nothing to lose to ween myself off it. I have become rather disillusioned with all these drugs. According to my GP I have been on everything available. Many weeks at the pain clinic proved a waste of time. I have to say my psychologist lost all credibility when she suddenly asked my about my sex life!!! I can barely walk and she asks me that.

I will definitely check the chocolate making idea.

• Posted

O' Sarah, that is just awful, most of us on here seem to take it too..not everyone obviously.......I really hope you find something soon that works well for you.....I must say, however, it was the Rhumo that gave me the right meds..my GP was quite oblivious to Fibro at the time.....way back then..have a lovely weekend Sarah, be blessed..gentle hugs from across the seas..:-) xxxx
    • Posted

Hi

Yes, I have only been to the Rhumi once to confirm the fibro but I have now been told by the physio that it is chronic pain syndrome. I did say about seeing the Rhumi again and the GP said that they would only prescribe the same drugs. The GP seems to have a lot of experience of this illness with other patients and has been very supportive so I cant knock her. Its only the rare days when I feel a bit better that keep me going otherwise I might as well give up on everything. Sorry to be so blunt but that is the truth of it. I'm very torn as I am a spiritual person and I dont agree with suicide.

Gentle hugs to you Christine and I hope you have a good weekend xx

• Posted

Poor you, really feeling for you...it's great that your go understands Fibto..not many really do...as far as the physio diagnosing CPS..they are not the doctors..unfortunately we do get lots of professionals trying to help, but they just confuse us..lots of hot water bottles are great for pain ..but of course less stress is great..hope you find something that really works well for you..in the meantime, get informed by try googling as much info as you can..this can be a bit confusing too, but there is always a little aha moment..have a lovely day Sarah..gentle hugs.....be blessed..:-) xxx

glad you don't believe in suicide, Fibro must not beat us-win, there is help out there ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.