Amitriptyline for pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

has anyone found Amitriptyline useful for pain ? Currently suffering from nerve type pain so hopefully it will help. 

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've taken it for about 6 years now for neck pain. However I just take it once a day but it has helped considerably.
    • Posted

Thanks for your comment. Sounds like it might help. 😃
    • Posted

Fingers crossed for you. What doseage have you been prescribed?
  • Posted

I take 30mg per night for chronic pain it's a blessing only pain relief that works for me been taking it since may this year apart from the hangover next morning it's been ok I aso suffer from nerve pain as long at you take it around the same time every night 
    • Posted

I take 20 MG's and take it about 30 minutes before I go to bed but some people on this forum take it earlier and find it doesn't give them that "hangover".
    • Posted

I'm starting on 20mg tonight. I've had it before but that was for back pain, this is more like neuropathic pain. How long did it take to work ? Heard it can take a few weeks for full effect. 
    • Posted

Many thanks for your comment. I'm starting on 20mg tonight. How long does it take to kick in ? 

• Posted

Hi Jimmy,I have severe nerve pain in both legs,first I took tramadol and amitriptyline but didn't work well for me,I changed to pregabalin then in the end slow release tramadol and went gradually up to 3600mg gabapentin, a bit of time getting used to but what a change in my life,pain is masked by this and I always feel great,personally I'd recommend it but it works different for all,reduced to 2100 and i take funnily enough Amitriptyline for headaches,I wish you all the luck and say if I can help anytime.merry Xmas.
    • Posted

Hi there. I too am on Tramadol aswell, but it isn't enough to control the pain. Hoping the Amitriptyline will add a bit more pain relief. I tried the Gabapentin but didn't do much for me. 
  • Posted

Hello Jimmy,

Seems like everyones experience is different, I take 50mg amitriptylene about 5pm, helps a bit with the pain more with the sleep. Even tho I don't go to bed till 11pm or 12. It does keep me asleep in the morning, and is quite difficult to get up! Once I'm up I do feel quite alert tho'.

Take care, Anne

• Posted

I have been on it before but only on 10mg. Starting 20mg tonight. Hopefully it will help a bit more. 
    • Posted

It takes around 4- 6 weeks to get full benefit but do stay with it as its good for nerve pain I can sleep up too 12- 14 hours on it I'm on 30 mg I started in that too

Good luck 

• Posted

Hope you don't mind me asking, does it completely take all the pain away ? , or does it just dull it down a bit ? 
    • Posted

After it has kicked in it does I can wake up during the night to go to the toilet and the pain has gone also the next morning i can feel it wearing off when I wake up only had a few bad nights since I started it back in May 
    • Posted

Sounds good. I might take some during the day aswell then. Appreciate your help. 
    • Posted

Never taking it during the day as I tramadol 

Your welcome hope it works 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.