Amitriptyline for pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

has anyone found Amitriptyline useful for pain ? Currently suffering from nerve type pain so hopefully it will help. 

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, I'm on this - again, for chronic nerve pain. I'm also on tramadol, gabapentin and pregabalin. This mixture does seem to be working. (Note: the pregabalin is also for my anxiety disorder - but it helps with the nerve pain too).

I'd say that amitriptyline is not - by itself - sufficient to effectively manage severe nerve pain. Maybe consult with your doctor about other drugs to take alongside this.

• Posted

Thanks for your help. I also take Tramadol during the day and didn't find gabapentin helped. Maybe Pregabalin might also help me. I'll give the Amitripyline a go first though. 

Appreciate your help. 

• Posted

Hi, I was taking Amitriptyline for anxiety but it also helped with my neck problems, nerves in my neck were being pintched due to my neck bones crumbling.
    • Posted

Ouch ! That sounds painful. Do you mind me asking what dose you were on ? I'm currently on 20mg. 
  • Posted

I was on 50 mg per night.
    • Posted

Hi nuggets, I've been on 50mg amitriptyline for the last 10 days and now I go to bed knackered at 10.30pm instead of midnight but can't seem to get up early to walk our dog,I feel like crap until I've dragged my self to the bathroom for a shave etc,I'm like that Neanderthal fella that go's from a monkey to a man in stages 😃,I've told myself that I have 30 mins to get to a normal state and just try and accept it.well we will see. ☺
    • Posted

I was on amitriptyline for years at one time 150 a night for my anxiety, then got less, but it helped with my neck pain. Now I don't take it any more, I am off it completly took nearly a year to come off it but now amitriptyline free.  The cost 

= my neck pain hurts more now, sods law lol

• Posted

Yes Jimmy I too have found Amitriptyline very helpful for two problems one is chronic prostatitis and neuropathy. I also take Gabapentin during the day for neuropathy (nerve pain in legs and feet) I have been on Amitryptyline for many years (50mg at night). It is very effective. I am rather disturbed however to hear recently that Amitrypyline can trigger dementia in some people. As I have taken the medication for so long and found it helpful and with no side effects, not even a common one of dry mouth, I shall continue with it it unless my doctor thinks it unwise to do so. Hope this info. may be of help to you. 
  • Posted

Yes, I'm on 25mg for SEVERE neuropathy in my legs. I use it in combination with other drugs as alsohave fibromyalgia and several herniated disc in my neck and back. But the amitriptyline in combination with the neurontin works well. Except for the weight gain because of the amitriptyline! I've gained 11lbs and it seemed like most of the weight gain started when they upped me from 10mg to the 25mg!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.