amitriptyline for sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, im currently taking20mg amitriptyline for sleep, but waking at 5am, driving me nuts lol any advice would be welcome plz x

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What time do you take them on an evening julie? You may have to alter the time you take them. I take mine an hour before I go to bed and wake at about 8am
    • Posted

matron hi ty for replying im taking it at 8pm hun then go bed at 11ish im not sure what time to take it hunni x
    • Posted

Try taking it a bit later and see if that helps. It's trial and error. Everyone seems to react differently.
    • Posted

Thank you matron ill try 9pm tonight, i was told if u take it earlier you will get side effects in morning, ill try later x
  • Posted

Should have added I go to bed around 10.30 - 11
  • Posted

Hi 

my dr told me it could take up to 3 weeks to get the full effect of the drug.

• Posted

Hi lisa thank you for replying, i thought sleep was instant, i do feel better its just this early waking, i was on 10mg for 3 weeks, but couldnt sleep properly now been on 20mg for 4/5 days, its getting to sleep but waking at 5am! X
    • Posted

I mean im getting to sleep x
    • Posted

It's getting bright early around 5am so maybe that's why you are awake so early or you are anxious when taking this drug you need to be in a pattern when you take it ie same time every night and wake till it works not going to bed after you have taking it amitriptyline is not like a sleeping pill If your still having trouble speak to your GP And maybe can give you something else which works better
    • Posted

I waa thinking today maybe because its getting lighter, im going to try take it later maybe 8pm is to early for me! I hope to be asleep for 11ish, thank you for replying
    • Posted

I always wait till I'm really tired and dropping off too sleep then go to bed some nights it takes longer to get too sleep try and not think about it too much it will wind you up and your never get any sleep
    • Posted

Thanks hunni im so trying, i must admit its great in other aspects.
    • Posted

I've been using relaxation cds to help me drop off, im trying so hard im getting to sleep its the 5am wakes thats driving me mad lol x
    • Posted

Have you got light coloured curtains ? I've got mine blacked out which helps with the light I used to use a eye mask too lol x
    • Posted

There dark but the light comes in, maybe it is that, i wake relaxed but takes hours to drop hk off and its then good sleep, dreaming state x
    • Posted

Have you tired ear plugs I swear by them I can't sleep without them x you said you drink coffee maybe it's that if it strong you said it was ?
    • Posted

Im going to ger some ty i only drink coffee in morning, after a certain time i stay away from coffee x
    • Posted

Can i get ear plugs from chemist ? Good idea about milk im getting one now, just took my amitriptyline alot later than usual x
    • Posted

Yes you can buy them from a chemist

I took mine at 8pm bed around 12ish you could try wine again like last week you said you slept like a log lol x

• Posted

I'll get some tomorrow ty, wine haha no thank you, one off thst cheeky x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.