amitriptyline withdrawal

Posted , 100 users are following.

Hi all, i have tried unsuccessfully to withdrawal from amitriptyline twice.  every time i get down to 5mg i start with awful symptoms, bad headaches, nausea, belching, abdominal cramps, back ache and  my bowels get so upset they feel like they are swollen i get bloated have wind and abdomen feels bruised. has anyone experienced this also?   

9 likes, 915 replies

915 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

feel your pain!!

cant believe the struggle i am having off such a short term small dose

• Posted

Hi Amanda. just wondering if you ever dealt with increased acid reflux during your withdrawal. I'm down to 3.5 mg of Ami but the reflux has really increased...along with other withdrawal effects. And if you did have it, what did you take to help relieve symptoms. Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Hi Nancy yes, Amitriptyline is an anticholinergic medication which, amongst other things dries up all mucus membranes in the body. The whole intestines, stomach, oesophagus and mouth, in fact most places in the body become drier when using amitriptyline. When we stop it or reduce it these areas become more moist again / return to normal.

However, as women age we can develop more acid reflux due to decreasing hormones and general wear and tear so it is not a side effect of amitriptyline withdrawal but, the drug was helping. Although, if like me when i came off the drug previously i became very anxious and this can contribute to more acid. Hope this helps xxx

• Posted

hi all ,

its been 6 weeks since stopping amitripline 10 mg for 1.5 months tuk it for headaches

i have so many floaters and grainy vision in low light and then low level tinnitus( 2 weeks post stoping the drug ) in the morning and night .

will it go away ! m so scared .

it feels like infinity

• Posted

anybody had tinnitus coming off amitriptyline ?

• Posted

Yes Shawn. I have it now....BIG time. It makes me very dizzy also. I am titrating down my dosage and the tinnitus comes and goes. Hope yours has resolved.

• Posted

I started having 8h after 6 months, but not regularly. Today, I sleep even during the day, so you will heal. That must be hectic to manage all these along side with a baby. All the best I hope u get well soon.xxx

• Posted

Does this EVER get better? EVER? I can't seem to move past 1.5 mg. EXTREME vertigo, tinnitus, anxiety, acid reflux, fullness in ears, hearing loss, insomnia. extreme itchiness, etc. I have taken over 1 year to reduce from 15 mgs to 1.5 mgs. I feel SO terrible and have no quality of life. Do I go back up to 2.0 mg or stay and stick it out? I don't see any end in this terrible tunnel. Also, my doctor wants me to start some 5-htp. Has anyone had any luck with that? (how much/taken how often?). Thanks for nay help.

• Posted

I stopped 10mg cold Turkey after 3months being on it. I stopped on the 16March 2017. I nearly die but I hold it on. Only after 1 year 6 months all symptoms disappeared and I am back to life now. You will get there, stick on it. All the best... I feel for you about the quality of life. 5-htp can help it is not addictive but I didn't take it... fish oil, magnesium helped me a lot.

• Posted

Has anyone used 5-HTP to help with the anxiety, insomnia, and the related ills while withdrawing? While I know we are all different, could you state how much you take and what time of day you take it. Thanks in advance. My anxiety is so bad and I'm not sleeping at all.

• Posted

hi, did anyone experience heart palpitations when coming off of amitryptiline?

is that a withdrawal symptom?

• Posted

Hi everyone. I have been put on ami for chronic headaches, depression. I have bad anxiety, mood swings, potential adhd, chronic fatigue, muscle aches in general. Ive had to come off ami because it was making me suicidal. i was on 10mg. A dco said i can cone off right away. The doctor who prescribed it me said it wasnt the cause of my suicidal thoughts!

Im currently off them and have been for 3 weeks now but i have no appetite, on and off depression, some suicidal thoughts, headaches, my mood is like a rollercoaster, anxiety is up and down. What are peoples suggestions? AM I EVEN WITHDRAWING? SHOULD I JUST FIGUT THROUGH IT OR TAKE 5mg?

• Posted

Hi Tom1996

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

I am but on and off. Got the samaritans on my phone if i need them. Im pretty strong when it comes to holding on but i think I might contact them to see how they can help. Thanks

• Posted

hello Tom1996

I am sorry you are feeling so horrible. Doctors seem to think you can just stop this drug with no issues. They have no clue how horrid this drug can be for some people. It sounds like you are experiencing withdrawals...which are horrible I know! Have you checked out a site called surviving antidepressants? it is amazing and has a ton of info

Unfortunately there is no magic pill to cure the withdrawals..just time. But you will get there😊

Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

tom, I have a lot of your symptoms from ami. wondering how your doing now and how long withdrawals lasted?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.