amitriptyline withdrawal... advice please!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm looking for advice on the best way to get off 50mg amitrityline. Been taking it for c.18 yrs for fibromyalgia but now think it's affecting my short term memory and gives me high blood pressure. I'm recovering from a really bad episode of paroxetine (seroxat) withdrawal and am now on a half dose of 10mg of that.

Wondering if I should try reducing the amitriptyline before risking any further reduction of the paroxetine and if so, how much to reduce it by reasonably safely.

Would be grateful to hear other people's experiences! Thank you!

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey! thank you all! Yes my eyesight has def been getting worse, too. Makes me all the keener to get off these meds but have a long way to go with the paroxetine and the advice seems to be to do that one first. Dreadful decisions! The temptation to just stop them CT before they do any more damage is strong.
    • Posted

Catali,

Wow, that is a hard decision to make between the paroxetine and amitriptyline. I was on the paroxetine for a short time and it was easier to come off of, but get a professional's opinions on which to start the taper.

I did a cold turkey on both and I can say the amitriptyline is harder to deal with because of the two compounds in it. Just make your decision and start. It will not be easy, but can be done. Everyone reacts differently to these drugs. If you are active you will do better getting off both.

• Posted

It's the professional opinion that is so hard to get. I can't find anyone who knows enough to advise. They usually want to prescribe an alternative or can't understand why I want to come off them if I suffer from recurrent depression. I m also so scared of triggering another bad WD experience.

• Posted

I see your problem, then you make the decision which to come off of first. I am having a much harder time coming off the amitriptyline. The amit has two compounds, one is a nerve agent and the other is the SSRI. I am ok except for the nerve / muscle pain and numbness. I have the left side of my body with the muscle tightness, pain and numbness. Everyone is different so the side effects will be different for everyone.

This is your call, just do some reading and make your pick. I think based on my body, age and side effects, I would come off the Amit first. That one seems to have to more severe withdrawal symptoms. Just start a slow taper and see. This is just advise so you think about it and do what you think is best. The doctors have no clue, they don't take the stuff only prescribe it. My GP thinks I have an anxiety disorder, but all these drugs cause that. I also have been taking a low dose of diazepam for a good number of years and that, too has an effect on the side effects. See, everyone has different situations so you just have to analyze it and make your decision. You can test the taper waters and see how your body reacts to it. Get all these posts out of your head because once you read something, it stays in your head. 

• Posted

Hey Lenny,

I also have pain down the left side of my body, muscle tension but numbness is on both sides.

These pills can do more harm than good.

Good luck,

Edward 

• Posted

Wow. It's a bit of a shock to hear Amit could be worse than the seroxat. that's been bad enough. Neurologist unwilling to accept my neuro symptoms are from meds. Want to diagnose chronic fatigue but more I read more I think otherwise. Thanks for the help tho....it's v useful!

• Posted

This is my fourth time trying to get off this medication, very hard to do but this time I am determined, I don’t care if it takes me a year. Have a prescription for 5 mgs that I am getting compounded and will stay there for a month or two before I keep going down.
    • Posted

Gosh. I'm on 50mg. It's going to take me such an appallingly long time. I'm sure it's affecting my short term memory as well as the dry eyes mouth and high blood pressure. It's all pretty daunting.

• Posted

Charlene

When I was on my last 5mg, I got the liquid amit and the pharmacist gave me a syringe and I tapered by tiny amounts, still had withdrawal as very sensitive to meds, but definitely recommend the liquid amitryptline.

• Posted

Hi Charline,

I am down to 5mg now, what is the injection. Please tell me what was your experience like, if it's better than the tablet I am willing to try it. This is the first time I am hearing about it. I want to come off this medication as soon as I can.

Thanks,

• Posted

Coming of slowly reduced my withdrawal time, I know this for sure as became impatient when tapering and did one quickly, had an awful time.
  • Posted

Yes Paula I plan on getting the liquid eventually, but am in no rush to go lower than 5mgs, maybe in a month or two.
  • Posted

Sorry Catali, I missed the part that you are already tapering from paroxetine. Do not taper from amit until you finish the paroxetine withdrawal. You can not tapper off two drugs at once so just think about it.
    • Posted

yes, I understand that. Its just so difficult to wait when I'm pretty sure the amit is doing me such a lot of damage.

• Posted

I really think you will make the amit taper more difficult until you stabilize off the paroxetine. I know how you feel about waiting, but I, too want to start my valium taper, but have to wait until I recover from the amit withdrawal. I'm hitting 14 weeks tomorrow off the amit and it still has a good grip on my system. This is the worst reaction I have ever had so just be smart and patient and things will work out better. I went cold turkey off the amit because of the side effects and I am paying the price big time. Just hang in there a while longer and you will thank yourself later.

• Posted

Catali, almost all my symptoms have disappeared, its still early days for me, and then I will spend a year coming off citalopram. I have been coming off meds for the last 9 months, and due to me being impatient I made myself really ill for a good few of those months. So hang in there and taper slowly. You have enough proof on this forum

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.