amitriptyline withdrawal... advice please!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm looking for advice on the best way to get off 50mg amitrityline. Been taking it for c.18 yrs for fibromyalgia but now think it's affecting my short term memory and gives me high blood pressure. I'm recovering from a really bad episode of paroxetine (seroxat) withdrawal and am now on a half dose of 10mg of that.

Wondering if I should try reducing the amitriptyline before risking any further reduction of the paroxetine and if so, how much to reduce it by reasonably safely.

Would be grateful to hear other people's experiences! Thank you!

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Catali i have a thread on here from several months ago. I came off of amitriptyline in December 17, it took 11 months to get off of 10 mg. I had been on it just over a year, i too had eye problems and felt it had hanged me. I was on this drug for nerve pain/ burning, yes it worked but, a 54 % higher increase of developing dementia also fuelled my desire to come off of this drug. I got it in liquid form as dropped very slowly and still suffered the awful effects of coming off this drug. Sadly i know have sciatica in both legs and is horrendous my GP wants me to go back on amitriptyline i have said no and am now on  some other drug which, i dare say will cause me some other awful symptoms sad. Take it slow please. xx     
    • Posted

will do my best Amanda..........I have a way to go before I am stable from the too fast and failed seroxat withdrawal earlier this year. I still can't sleep and struggle with awful mood swings. I can't believe that I have been so ignorant of the problems these meds cause. It's appalling that the medical profession is still so unaware of these dreadful problems. I am getting virtually no help at all from GP and mental health services. People are still being prescribed these things......its awful!

• Posted

I was on an antidepressant, Zoloft, for many years to help with menopause depression. It took me many years and many attempts to ween off that medication. Had the last 10 mgs made into liquid and took almost a year to come off. I am doing the same with elavil. I agree with Paula, slow and easy is the only way to get off these drugs. It is very frustrating but if you go too fast, you will end up going back on it.This is my fourth attempt. Take your time, as long as you reach your goal, what is the hurry? If you have a counpound pharmacy where you live, please look into getting the liquid and go down real slow.Also you might want to try some good probiotic, it helps to heal your gut, I swear by it. After this taper, I have to come off Clonazepam, but will worry about that later, one medecine at a time, one day at a time. God bless you all! He will get us through this. ✝️✝️✝️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.