Amitryptyline 50mg.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on amitryptyline 50mg for roughly 15 years. My doctor did a straight swap on to mirtazapine 10 weeks ago. I feel really unwell my doctor says the amitryptyline will be out of my system by now but I'm not so sure. Has anyone any ideas if this would be out of my system by now Or is just the mirtazapine making me feel unwell I'm only on 15 mg. Any help is appreciated. Suck of going round in circles with doctors.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Amitryp & Mirt' are both Tetracyclic, I wonder if thats why your doc thought it was ok to just "swap" over rather than tapering.  I'm not sure about "out of your system" rather the brains chemistry is still changing/adjusting from the WD of Amitryp..

You don't say what your symptoms are and how long you've felt ill?

• Posted

Hi calmer it's hard how to explain how my head feels. I feel distant and in slow motion. My head doesn't feel right. Thanks for your reply. A few people have said that the 2 medications shouldn't have been swapped like that.

• Posted

That doesn't sound too bad then?  Although not pleasant.  Both of the AD's contain sedative of course, you know that right, but Mirt is stronger, sedation may last 24/7 for some, others speak of it lasting until midday after taking it before bedtime.

• Posted

I want off medication all together. People keep telling me I'm withdrawing off the amitryptyline and I shouldn't start tapering off the mertazapine yet. I've got no faith in doctors they just don't realise these pills aren't like taking paracetamol. They think. It's easy just to stop.

• Posted

I am currently weaning off amitriptyline  had 2 failed attempts as tried to wean too quick so now its been 11 months i was on 30 mg now 2.5 mg. some people this drug effects badly coming off it. it could be amitriptyline withdrawal , what are your symptoms? 
    • Posted

My head Amanda's doesn't feel right. I'm not sure what us going on with my brain. It's hard to explain but it does not feel good whatever is going on. I was on amitryptyline a long time. Then to have it just swapped with something else. The doctor said it would of been. Out of my system a month ago. I'm not so sure. I'm trying to work out is it the mirtazapine making me feel unwell or the amitryptyline.

• Posted

What does not feel right, are you experiencing strange  brain zaps? fuzzy head ? Amitriptyline  alters brain chemicals which, need to restart when the drug is stopped. x

• Posted

My hea just feels weird. Almost dull and Irritable a lot of the time. I stopped it 10 weeks ago for straight swap with mirtazapine. That's why I wandered is it stopping the amitryptyline making feel like this even though I took something in its place.

• Posted

It takes roughly 2 weeks for amitriptyline to leave your system from the last dose. However after being on the med for a long period of time it is usual to experience some discontinuation symptoms. Your GP is correct in saying the drug is out of your system after 10 weeks but he should be aware of possible withdrawal symptoms which may be what you are experiencing together with start up sude effects of Mirtazapine.

he probably should have reduced the amitriptyline over a period of time slowly before starting mirtazapine however some doctors just make the switch in order to get the patient to therapeutic results quicker.

you should accept a couple of weeks of feeling rough but if this has persisted beyond a three or four weeks and is getting worse or is not tolerable then you need to look at going back on the amitriptyline.

the obvious questions here are:-

1 was the amitriptyline working and if so why did your doctor change?

2 what condition are you taking the medication for? because you may be able to play with lower doses or try another medication because maybe Mirtazapine is not for you

• Posted

Hi steve the amitryptyline stopped working. I use to take it for help with sleep. Going back on it is not a option as I've been taking the mirtazapine for 12 weeks. I'm taking 15 mg and it does not help me with sleep. 4 hours after taking it Im still wide awake. I can't see it's doing me any good at all. I want To come off it sooner rather than later as I know the longer I'm on it the harder it will be to get off. Just waiting for the right time. As I think my brain and body is still suffering with amitryptyline withdrawal.

• Posted

Best to come off the Mirt too then.

the sleep and sedation effects of Mirtazapine even at 15mg should kick in almost immediately so if after 12 weeks you're still wide awake then Mirtazapine clearly isn't working for you. Lower the disage gradually so that you combine any withdrawal with the stuff youre already suffering from the Ami.

At least youn wont notice both.

Try some melatonin or magnesium citrate in the interim to help sleep or high strength CBD oil.

• Posted

Hi steve that's the plan to come off the mirt. I'm in a group on Facebook that helps a lot tells you how to taper etc. They said I need to be stable first before I start to taper the mirt because of the amitryptyline withdrawal. I just hope I know when the time is right. But it's hard to know when the right time is when You feel rubbish for most of it. Last thing I want to do is start it to early and I will be in more of a mess. They recommend a 5%"decrease every 2-4 weeks. I will have a bit of a game cutting tablets up but then on the other hand it can be done liquid form. So well see.

• Posted

Forgot to ask steve how does cbd oil work?

• Posted

Its a tincture in a bottle or a paste in a tube.

A few drops under the tounge daily.

Research is in early days of confirming its true medical benefits of Cannibinoids at this stage, but many say its very effective for relaxation, sleep anxiety, chronic pain etc. Quite expensive though.

• Posted

Yes steve seen someone selling it. His contains thc and cbd combined. The feedback I've seen has been good. Seems to help people with pain and sleep. I wander if it would help with the withdrawal when I start. I also would have to find out if it's OK to take with mirtazapine. He said it should be safe and OK but people will tell you anything. His price is £30.00 for 20mls look forward to your reply.

• Posted

id stay away from THC unless you want to get high 🤔

its addictive and can have some very questionable psychological impacts.

THC is illegal in the UK

CBD or Hemp oil is however legal and can be bought on many online stores.

CBD oil without THC is still the medicinal benefits without the risks or addiction.

Decent CBD products are c £30 + per 10ml

Anything under £20 is likely to be low in CBD & ineffective.

• Posted

Hi steve I just get confused looking at the cbd products. Wandering what would work best as it is expensive if it

didn't work. I also wander if it would help with withdrawal. I'm not getting enough sleep either makes me wander If I should start taking this pill in the day as it does not sedate me at all. Maybe then at night I would drift off to sleep easier.

• Posted

I wouldn't bother, it is expensive & not guaranteed.

You dont want to be adding stuff in if youre trying to get iff another Med.

Melatonin is much more likely to work and cheaper, but can leave you groggy next day. Trick is to only take tiny bits until you achieve a balance.

With regards the Mirtazapine, yes try taking it mid day, it might work better.

You sound as if you are becoming a hostage to it and youve only been on a low dose for a short period, i doubt you'd notice if you just stopped it immediately. If not, i would start to reduce gradually over a 2 or 3 week period.

• Posted

I joined a group steve that says I really shouldn't start tapering off yet. As they said I'm still probably in withdrawal off the amitryptyline I stopped 13 weeks ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.