Amitryptyline 50mg.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on amitryptyline 50mg for roughly 15 years. My doctor did a straight swap on to mirtazapine 10 weeks ago. I feel really unwell my doctor says the amitryptyline will be out of my system by now but I'm not so sure. Has anyone any ideas if this would be out of my system by now Or is just the mirtazapine making me feel unwell I'm only on 15 mg. Any help is appreciated. Suck of going round in circles with doctors.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Another point i wanted to raise with you is that when using for insomnia or sleep issues both amitriptyline and mirtazapine are equally effective when taken only as needed on the occasional night.

They dont need to be taken daily to build up in your system unless your issues are related to depression.

Im suprised your GP didn't just try you on as needed basis.

You would get sedation from the first time you take either and if not then you shouldn't have been on them much longer & wouldn't be dealing with withdrawal. The longer you are on either, the sedating effects wear off as you get used to it so they are not good for long term sleep aids.

I have a few Mirtazapine in store and when i get the odd night if insomnia i take a small bite and i sleep for 12 hours. I dont use it again until needed. ( once a month if that).

• Posted

The doctor did suggest as and when needed but that was if I came off all together as she told me. The mirtazapine has had no effect at all in helping me go to sleep it's the opposite I'm more awake after I've taken it. Now the amitryptyline was the opposite it would shut me down and I would drift off to sleet easily. Now I'm stuck taking something that does me no good at all. It was only given to for sleep. I just need to know when I can start tapering the mirtazapine. I know I have to be carefull due to the amitryptyline withdrawal as it's Been 13 weeks now.

• Posted

Please get of this horroble drug. I think it is the reason i can no longer work or function and in constant pain. I was on 15mg /7.5mg for over a year and before this drug i was a normal active 43 yr old only in it due to my mum dying. At first it was "wow" knocked me out light a lead balloon but as the weeks went by everything about me changed. Its exactly like you said my brain didnt feel right. I would wake feeling emotionless like i was in someone elses body. It made me like a zombie and then i started having restless legs and pins and needles and severe chronic adominal pain. I have been off any meds since jan and thinngs have got so severe i had to give up work in july and can barely walk or move for nerve pain. Maybe its just coincedance and i am now awaiting mri and nerve tests from neurologist but i wish id never heard of this drug. No wonder its in rat poison! I have now started 10mg amitriptyline but not liking side effects. Let me kniw how you go

• Posted

Was amitryptyline for 20 years kelly. It stopped working so doctor did straight swap for mirtazapine. I can't wait to get off it but I've been advised I need to be stable before I can start to withdraw the mirt. And not by a doctor they've just messed me up. Luckily I found a great group on Facebook who has helped me and gave me great advice. I just want off them all together as side affects aren't good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.