Amlodipine

Posted , 7 users are following.

my husband has been takin Amlodopine for the past 6 weeks, he is now suffering with very hot knees.  Could this be a side effect of this drug?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you google side effects, the most common is fluid retenion and I got that after 30 days in my right ankle....took higher doses of grape seed extract and got rid of it.

I don't have the hot knees, but do deal with OA in right knee the worst and it's quiet in the left knee....they don't burn though.

Everyone is different and it could be affecting your husband like this. Do check the side effects lists.

• Posted

Thanks Joy have checked side effects, but no mention of this.  I had the swollen ankles and was taken off it, but this is the only thing we can think is causing it.

thanks anyway for replying.

• Posted

Hi Janwhy - the hot knee syndrome is one of the symptoms I had but did not relate it to the drug because I had broken my leg at the time and was suffering with different things to do with the break and when I told my physio he said it was all due to a trapped nerve and that was causing the hot knee business. Since coming off Amlodipine that particular problem has gone away and now realise it was the drug not complications to the broken leg. Hope this helps in some way.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, he has to see GP next week, will get him to mention it to him.
  • Posted

I have swollen ankles (left one is the worst) which often feel warm to the touch. I haven't had any problems with my knees - yet.

I am going to try the grape seed extract which Joy mentions.

• Posted

thanks for thee reply, I had the same whilst I was on it, disappeared once it was changed.
    • Posted

nanny, hope you are not taking a drug blood thinner....if so, can't take grape seed ex and blood thinner drugs... that's the only restriction I know of in the 19 yrs I take it.
  • Posted

I took this drug for 2 weeks. the doctor wanted me back after 2 weeks to check on me. when i went back in the soles of my feet were burning so bad. From the feet all the way up to the knees i was red. needless to say the blood pressure was still high so she doubled it. i took it 2 more days and i quit it because i started having severe knee pain and it even started feeling like someone had put something around my ribcage and had tightened it. needless to say after a few days all the redness started going away, the breathing got better, and i started feeling like myself. i changed doctors and are having no more problems. that drug scares me. i will never take it again.
    • Posted

thanks for your reply, he is now complaining about hot feet and head aches, I think he needs to see GP sooner rather than later to get this sorted.  Sorry you suffered too.  Hood it's sll sorted now.
  • Posted

To make it short.....YES. This drug has a HOST of side effects.  Polyneuropathy is just one of them. Hot knees, hot face, hot arm........it really just depends on WHERE the drug decides it's going to effect each individual. Everyone is different. Go thru this entire blog and you will find so many different side effects people have suffered. And you can always look them up for yourself at Drugs.com
  • Posted

I hope they will post my reply to you...get him off the med.
  • Posted

amlodipine Side Effects

Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.

Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:More commonSwelling of the ankles or feetLess commonDifficult or labored breathing

dizziness

fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse

feeling of warmth

redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest

shortness of breath

tightness in the chest

wheezingRareBlack, tarry stools

bleeding gums

blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin

blood in the urine or stools

blurred vision

burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings

chest pain or discomfort

chills

cold and clammy skin

cold sweats

confusion

dark yellow urine

cough

diarrhea

dilated neck veins

dizziness or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position

extra heartbeats

extreme fatigue

fainting

fever

itching of the skin

joint or muscle pain

large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs

numbness and tingling of the face, fingers, or toes

pain in the arms, legs, or lower back, especially pain in the calves or heels upon exertion

painful or difficult urination

pale, bluish-colored, or cold hands or feet

pinpoint red or purple spots on the skin

red, irritated eyes

redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest

redness, soreness or itching skin

shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet

slow or irregular heartbeat

sore throat

sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth

sores, welting, or blisters

sudden sweating

sweating

swelling of the face, fingers, feet, or lower legs

swollen glands

trembling or shaking of the hands or feet

unsteadiness or awkwardness

unusual bleeding or bruising

unusual tiredness or weakness

weak or absent pulses in the legs

weakness in the arms, hands, legs, or feet

weight gain

yellow eyes or skinIncidence not knownAbdominal or stomach pain

clay-colored stools

diarrhea

headache

loss of appetite

nausea

rash

unpleasant breath odor

vomiting of blood

yellow eyes or skin

Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Less commonAcid or sour stomach

belching

heartburn

indigestion

lack or loss of strength

muscle cramps

sleepiness or unusual drowsiness

stomach discomfort, upset, or painRareAbnormal dreams

anxiety

back pain

bad unusual or unpleasant (after) taste

bleeding gums

blistering, crusting, irritation, itching, or reddening of the skin

bloating

bloody nose

burning feeling in the chest or stomach

burning while urinating

burning, dry, or itching eyes

change in color of the treated skin

change in sense of smell

change in taste

changes in vision

constipation

continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears

cracked, dry, or scaly skin

decreased sexual performance or desire

depression

difficulty with moving

difficulty with swallowing

discharge, excessive tearing

double vision

dry mouth

dryness of the skin

excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines

excessive muscle tone

eye pain

feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings

feeling of unreality

feeling unusually cold

flushed, dry skin

fruit-like breath odor

full feeling

general feeling of discomfort or illness

hair loss or thinning of the hair

headache, severe and throbbing

hearing loss

hyperventilation

increased appetite

increased hunger

increased sweating

increased thirst

increased urge to urinate during the night

increased urination

irritability

irritation in the mouth

lack of feeling or emotion

loose stools

loss of memory

muscle pains or stiffness

muscle tension or tightness

muscle weakness

nervousness

pain

pains in the stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back

passing gas

problems with memory

redness and swelling of the gums

redness, pain, or swelling of the eye, eyelid, or inner lining of the eyelid

restlessness

runny nose

seeing double

sensation of spinning

sense of detachment from self or body

shakiness and unsteady walk

shivering

sleeplessness

sneezing

stuffy nose

sweating

swollen joints

tenderness in the stomach area

thirst

trouble in holding or releasing urine

trouble sleeping

twitching

unable to sleep

uncaring

unexplained weight loss

unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination

waking to urinate at night

weight lossIncidence not knownSwelling of the breasts or breast soreness in both females and males

Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional

• Posted

Thanks for all that Micelle, he has an appointment on Friday to see GP, hope to get it sorted then.
  • Posted

You both are most welcome! I don't want to see anyone else suffer from this med. After what I have to now live with, I'd like to see this drug banned. And if someone does CHOSE to take it. Then by all means take it at your own risk. If you need anything else I can support you with please just let me know and please update us on his condition.
    • Posted

I would certainly agree on that - I wrote on a different thread, about the same drug, a few years ago.

I should add though that among my side-effects, I added considerable weight gain (close to three stone), rather than weight loss. I have lost most of the surplus, but not all of it. My legs however are not great.

• Posted

Hi Michelle, he has seen GP on Friday and told him about the side effects he was suffering, but the he just brushed it off and when he took his blood pressure, which was 156/91, he then prescribed Lorsartan 50mg 1 per day on top of the Amlodipine.  He has to see him again on the 14th November for another BP test.

jan

• Posted

janwhy,

Read your post, hopefully if the side effects are gone things will go ok. please just keep an eye out and don't hesitate to go back to see the dr if they don't.

Michele

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.