Amlodipine

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been on Amlodipine 5 mg for about 6 months now. BP is great 120/65, but I am having health problems that were not listed on symptoms to look for. I am having extreme bloating in my stomach no matter what I eat, which is basically GF, low carbs, and sugars from fruits. I wake up in the morning and feel practically no bloating which has gone down significantly but then starts right back no matter what I eat (usually avocado with tomatoes and uncured bacon or turkey sausage; substitute avocado with eggs or a fruit/kale smoothie). Practically no pain but slight in gallbladder area which subsides quickly, and only occasionally. Not sleeping well, right shoulder hurting and tender most of the time, pain in front part of lower leg, lots of swelling in ankles/feet (which is one of major symptoms using this drug), has significantly caused more pain in sciatica which was very well manageable with my chiropractor until now...My lower back and hip pain terrible every morning for the last month. I feel 100 years old and am only 73 with no health problems except my BP. I also take Metroprolol 25 mg, Chlorthalidone 12.5, Valsartan 320 mg and now this Amlodipine 5 mg. My quality of life has dropped drastically since starting Amlodipine. Is anyone else having problems with this drug?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I should say the foods I posted above was my usual breakfast. No white potatoes at lunch or dinner, mostly some meats, sweet potatoes, salads, green beans or kale or peas. Never any bread with meals. My husband loves fast food so I can usually find something on the menu without very few carbs like chicken nuggets, side salad or chili. Never had this bloating problem until the Amlodipine. I worry about my health and even thought I might have stomach cancer. Starting last night I've decreased this drug to 2.5 mg to see how my bp is affected.

• Posted

i definitely had the bloating. Mine started first thing in the morning. I would be lucky if it subsided in the afternoon. i don't remember if i had any of the other symptoms. I stopped taking it about a year ago.

• Posted

How long were you on Amlodipine? I am taking this drug 2.5 mg in the morning only and have quit taking 2.5 mg at night. After 2 days, I can tell slight difference in the joints and arms and legs. Bloating I'm sure will take a while, and I will discuss this with my cardiologist in October. The only reason I keep taking it is the fact that my BP has been really good since this drug was added to the regimen. But I think losing 20 lbs. would really help the BP as well. Can't seem to lose any weight with the bloating that is going on.

• Posted

i went on this medicine for a short time and was amazed at the side effects !!! I FOUND AFTER A SHORT TIME I FOUND DIFFICULTY WALKING ! I THEN RESEARCHED to discover that this was a teRRIBLE drug and caused symptoms like MS with difficulty walking it is an awful med so maybe good to change

• Posted

i researched on line I CANT REMEMBER MAY HAVE ON THIS FORUM as there are lots of other feeds just specific to a drug .

• Posted

It pays to be informed and to be proactive in our treatments. Doctors are human like we are and not infallible. I've been blessed with good doctors who listen to me and will work with me. After all, I know my body better than anyone. Statin drugs also have very similar side effects like you were having. Diet and exercise are very important. Sounds like you have been doing your homework.

• Posted

I was taking this med but recently stopped because of significant swelling of my feet and ankles and little help with my BP.

I also felt bloated all the time but thought it was from other meds I take. I never thought that it might be caused by the amlodipine but that too has improved since I stopped.

• Posted

Isn't it wonderful that we have these forums where we can share with each other? So many side effects not listed with these drugs, but we're all different, so why wouldn't medicine react differently in each one of us? It's so comforting to hear all of these comments, and then we can make good decisions with the help of our doctor and just listening to our own bodies. This bloating is horrible and feet and ankles swelling. I now know I can and should do something about this drug. How long were you on Amlodipine?

• Posted

Hi Suzie,

That sounds awful!

Sometimes the side-effects are a necessary evil, if putting up with them means avoiding a heart attack or stroke etc. But if they're really interfering with your quality of life, you should definitely book an appointment with your doctor to discuss other options.

I'm 29 and have been on Amlodipine 5 mg (plus Ramipril 10 mg) for the past 3 years. They've both been totally fine, I haven't had any side-effects whatsoever, but obviously everyone is different.

Talk to your doctor though! Everyone on this site is super well-meaning, but we're not medical experts.

• Posted

You make some really good points here. I do have a wonderful cardio doc and he listens to me. He will want to know how this drug is affecting me and I surely do not want a heart attack or stroke. If this drug wasn't working well to help keep my BP numbers in good range, I'd stop taking it. And you are right, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else. Our bodies are all different. So happy to hear it is working for you!

• Posted

What was your BP before being prescribed Amlodipine ?

• Posted

140-150/75-85. Now it ranges from 110-120/65-70, which is a good improvement. But the side effects are very disturbing to me.

• Posted

It was the first of many that I was prescribed that all gave side effects. It's a lot of trial and error to get the right one.

• Posted

that doesnt seem very high !!! I AM Surprised they suggested this or any meds

• Posted

18 years ago when I was first diagnosed with hight BP, it ranged from 160-200/85-100. Lot of stress in my life and changing jobs didn't help, so I've been on different meds over the years like Verapamil and Lisinipril. Couldn't take either, so was put on Valsartan with HClt (diuretic) I started on 80 mg/12.5 and gradually increased to 320 mg/day. I have had least side effects with Valsartan. Still BP has ranged from 140-160/80-95 over the years. Metoprolol was added 5 years ago for heart fluttering (not palpitations), which ceased immediately. Was given 50 mg and had mood swings and slight depression and really wasn't aware of it until I read side effects a year or so ago. Took 25 mg and it works very well. I've been hospitalized 3 times for observation over the last 18 years and have had 3 MRI's which the first revealed mini strokes which I never knew I had had. All other tests have been negative (EKG, EEG, etc.). I have an excellent Cardiologist; in fact, I go to him twice a year and to my GP only occasionally. The cardio doc spends at least 1 hour with me everytime I go for a checkup. 5-6 months he added amlodipine 5 mg and had lots of swelling in feet and ankles, so he substituted with ramipril 10 mg. Side effects of tiredness, headache and some dizziness came with it, so I went back to amlodipine 5 mg and take 2.5mg in the morning and 2.5mg at night which helps with the swelling a little bit. Then started noticing other side effects over the last 5 months of taking like memory problems, muscles and joint pain, sciatica in lower back much worse. I have been going to a holistic doctor for the last two years because of weight gain over the years, mental acuity lessening, just overall health decline. Have been taking food supplements, really watching diet by eating healthier, drinking more water and sparkling waters, and cutting out most sugar. Have been on a walking regimen of walking 5 days a week which really helps. My holistic doctor is also my chiropractor. Was really feeling better than I had in several years until I started taking the Amlodipine. The bloating and forgetfulness is back with a vengeance and still dealing with swelling of ankles/feet. So this is where I am now. Have reduced amlodipine 2.5 to once a day, bp seems to be holding at average 115-120/65-75. Have only been doing this for 4 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.