Amlodipine

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been on Amlodipine 5 mg for about 6 months now. BP is great 120/65, but I am having health problems that were not listed on symptoms to look for. I am having extreme bloating in my stomach no matter what I eat, which is basically GF, low carbs, and sugars from fruits. I wake up in the morning and feel practically no bloating which has gone down significantly but then starts right back no matter what I eat (usually avocado with tomatoes and uncured bacon or turkey sausage; substitute avocado with eggs or a fruit/kale smoothie). Practically no pain but slight in gallbladder area which subsides quickly, and only occasionally. Not sleeping well, right shoulder hurting and tender most of the time, pain in front part of lower leg, lots of swelling in ankles/feet (which is one of major symptoms using this drug), has significantly caused more pain in sciatica which was very well manageable with my chiropractor until now...My lower back and hip pain terrible every morning for the last month. I feel 100 years old and am only 73 with no health problems except my BP. I also take Metroprolol 25 mg, Chlorthalidone 12.5, Valsartan 320 mg and now this Amlodipine 5 mg. My quality of life has dropped drastically since starting Amlodipine. Is anyone else having problems with this drug?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Suzie, where do you live. I live in the UK. My GP prescribe Amlodipine. It caused swelling of the ankles and I was given compression socks . I was also having a lot of problems with my gums. The doctor said it was oral lichen planus. However, about 2-3 years ago it was my astute dentist who got to the bottom of it. In the absence of any gum issues, she came to the conclusion that it was amlodipine that was causing the problem in the mouth because she also found similar problems with at 3 of her dental patients. She wrote to my GP about her suspicions, and thankfully, he listened and changed to Losartan 25mg and 2.5 of indapamide . Since stopping the Amlodipine I have not seen a return to the gum problem.

What do you take thee other meds for.

vimla

• Posted

I live in Florida. What a wonderful dentist and GP. I, too, value my cardio and GP docs! I think we have a lot of good doctors, but it's the bad ones that get the most attention. All of the meds I take are for my BP. I have taken a couple of others that caused problems but fortunately there were others with least amount of side effects that have worked pretty well. My favorite of all is Valsarten 320 mg. For me it has the least side effects of all the drugs. I was reading some info on Metoprolol that it could cause mood swings and depression. I was on 50 mg which I took for about 5 years but then took half of a pill (25 mg) and it worked just as well and the symptoms have pretty much subsided. Told my cardio doc what I had done and he was in full agreement with what I was doing. Also take a diuretic 12.5/day which seems to be a given with any BP med that's prescribed. It's just the Amlodipine that I am having problems with at the moment.

• Posted

Hi Suzie, I was prescribed Amlodipine a couple of years ago because of my erratic blood pressure. I actually forget what it did to me but, what a dreadful drug. Certainly my blood pressure came right down but I still had to take a handful of antihypertensives aswell.

I went back to my GP & he took me off the Amlodipine & added Spironolactone instead.

My BP is now stable, I take:

Bisoprolol

Bendroflumethiazide

Spironolactone

All at 6am, then

Losartan in the middle of the afternoon

This was no thanks to a Consultant Cardiologist!

Good luck!

• Posted

I am so happy you have found the right combination. It takes time to get the right mix for sure. I take Valsartan 160 mg, Amlodipine 2.5 mg, Chlorthalidone 12.5 mg in the morning. At night I take Valsartan 160 mg, Metoprolol 25 mg. I was taking 2.5 mg of Amlodipine at night as well but stopped 2 days ago because of these side effects I'm having. Too early to tell what effect this is having on my body. The most worrisome of the side effects for Amlodipine are the bloating, swelling of feet and ankles and memory problems.

• Posted

wow you sound a bit like me I HAVE HAD HIGH BP for 15 years. went on a diuretic BENDROFLUAMIZIDE FOR ABOUT 10 years worked well but makes you dizzy had falls. GOT bad gout one of the side effects so as my bp was good and I had lost weight I came off the diuretics . I WAS OKAY INITIALLY BUT THEN my BP started climbing again . I tried several heart meds with bad effects have had a few episodes at HOSPITAL A AND E with BP 230/109 and suspected stroke. I am trying again as I need a hip operation and they wont do it with high BP I RECENTLY TRIED Bisiprolol ? and my bp got higher!! SO am not on anything at the moment . ALTHOUGH LAST WEEK I took FUROSEMIDE WHICH helps initially . I am thinking of trying losartan but do despair. I FOUND THAT WHEN MY WEIGHT WAS BETTER I drank hibiscus tea and this helps as well. please excuse strange caps not sure why this happened cheers.

• Posted

Have you tried beetroot juice. It helps some people to a degree.

• Posted

yes i did but i ways start and keep up for awhile then get side tracked and forget

• Posted

I hope you get the hip surgery that you need. Also hope you get the bp under control with the right med. It can be so frustrating and there are no quick fixes. As we age, it's just part of our life it seems. Everyday that we wake up is a blessing as we see beautiful creation all around us. I have taken my health for granted and now realize how wonderful good health is in whatever dose I get. Good luck.

• Posted

yes i am and get serious leg and ankle cramps. bloating

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.