Amlodipine and anxiety after 3years?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I just like to ask and also share my story with Amlodipine. I am 44 years old and 3years ago i was prescribed with Amlodipine and Ramipril both 10mg right away in the hospital due to high bp. My bp at that time was 190/110, but this include my white coat effect. Bp with meds lowered to 130/80. Also i was overweight and under lot of stress.

As many of you explained shortly after i also started having many side effects, headaches, migraines, blurry vision, oedema, tiredness, fatigue, stomachache, loss of hair and so on, some of them lessened, but never disappeared.

In 2021 i developed new side effects, every afternoon around 4pm i felt very cold and i started shaking, trembling. This sometimes persist for 30min to 2hours. During these my bp temporarily spikes to 150/100 to 170/100. Then go back to normal, usually it helps to go under duvet and breath slowly there and everything calms down.

I have decided to loose some weight so i started exercise and strict diet i lost 40lb in 4months, my bp after was 90/60 to 110/70. So i call my gp and she lowered my amlo to 5mg.

Shaking gets slightly better and cold feeling too. But not completely gone. Blood tests came back negative they didn't find anything.

A month later i started to having anxiety and panic attacks during these afternoon cold feelings and shakings, i called my gp and she prescribed propranolol for anxiety.

I decided to cut amlo to 2.5mg my bp was under control and i still use ramipril in the evening. Things started to get better, i felt more energetic and anxiety and shaking and other side effects disappeared for a week. But then all came back again.

So i decided to stop amlo completely, after 3years from 10mg to 5mg for a month, from 5mg to 2.5mg for two weeks. Now this is my 9 days off of amlo my bp is under control, except when i get my afternoon anxiety it temporarily spikes up.

My anxiety and panic attacks now doesn't come daily anymore and lessened, propranolol i have not used that much it doesnt help much with anxiety.

My question is, did anyone here developed after awhile (not right away) those anxiety and panic attacks , cold hands, tremors also sadness and depression? Also when you stopped amlo is there withdrawal side effects and when these dissapear?

I started to feel scared, my gp doesnt believe me its caused by amlo and says its anxiety, i dont know what to do, because its 9days since i stopped amlo and anxiety and else are still not completely gone. Will they ever dissapear?

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rob, not sure if you are still on here but having been put on amlodipine back in september 22 for my bp i felt ok at first then about 8 weeks into taking them at night time i started waking early with horrible feelings in my stomach and anxiety, i put it down to stress at work, but this carried on every night and i couldnt think what it could be so i carried on getting more and more anxious, then my daughter asked me what i was doing or taking since feeling this bad, i could only think of the amlodipine. after looking at the side effects there was nothing down so say it could cause anxiety in the meantime i was finding it harder to control my anxiety and put in a search for amlodipine and anxiety and found your post thankfully!! i took myself off the pills and after a few days started feeling better but my bp got higher so i had to go back on them and the anxiety returned. i contacted my gp asking to come off them and explained about the anxiety and with no questions asked they changed them straight away and the amlodipine was stopped immediately, i am now on a different pill but i am still having days when i wake with anxiety and like today i feel i am fighting the physical effects of anxiety which is exhausting i am hoping this is due to the amlodipine as i was only on them 3 months and that this will soon go, but thank you for putting up ur post without seeing it i would still be on the pills and my anxiety would probably be a lot worse than it is now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.