Amlodipine - Left Side Muscle Pain and Numbness

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I wanted to share my horrible experience with Amlodipine. I had/have major Left Side issues (shoulder pain, abdomila pain, leg pain, foot pain, numbness, shortness of breath, insomnia) with Amlodipine 10mg. It didnt start untill few months after taking it, plus I was training for Half Marathons, so muscle pain I thought was due to overuse. After about 4 months I began having the distinct numbness and slight tingling on entire left side of body, including head/face.

My initial thought was OMG I might have had a stroke and didnt realize!?!? Went back to doc about the left side numbness symptoms (didnt ellaborate to much on muscle pain at that time), yet she did not make the link, nor did I. Had multiple X-Rays and MRIs, saw chiropractor and nuerologist plus ortho sports doc, all said there was nothing wrong.

I quit running due to pain on left side, eventually quit my job in Florida and moved back home to Michigan, became quite irritated by the littlest things, and extremley frustrated with my "mysterious illness" that a dozen doctors could not diagnos. (Frankly I continued to think I must have had a stroke that was undetected).

Fast forward 2 1/2 years later, 2 jobs later, 1 hip surgery later, 20+ pound later, 1 nuerophyscologial evaluation later, and thousands of dollars in medical bills, I somehow stumbled on these forums of people describing much of what I've been dealing with and the lightbulb went off!!!!

It's only been 3 days since my last pill (taking Lisinopril now) and I think feeling a little better. Hoping to see major improvement after some time being off this Amlodipine that I am fairly certain has been poisining me over last 2 1/2 years.

Anyhow, wanted to share my story for anyone else experiencing same.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jonathan

I've been in amlodipine for years and I too have experienced severe muscle pain in my lower back .plus numbness in my thumb index finger. At first I thought it was because I'm a caregiver and I was pulling my client up from her chair. It's not I strongly believe it is amlodipine I ache all the time at night my back gets cramps I have told my doctor over and over please change it but now I will be insistent this time because I do not have any quality of life I can't hold my grandson can't play with him like I used to

• Posted

Hello. I have left side numbness and I'm feel like I'm going insane. I cry all the time. I'm taking Norvasc 10mg. I've been to 3 doctors. I've had a ct scan and blood work done,nothing. Tomorrow I have a MRI order. My question for you did your numbness ever went away? If so,how long did it take for you to feel normal again. I've been off the norvasc (replaced w cozaar )for a week now I've been taking Norvasc for a year. Thanks

• Posted

Wow. This forum is right on the money. Two years ago I was prescribed Amlodopine 5mg ( one per day) due to my BP being 160/100. A few months prior to this I ran the Leeds 10k and played regular golf, walking the 18 holes. I have been in severe pain in my anterior calf, hips, shoulder and wrist for roughly the same period of time. I have not been able to walk continuosly for more than 500 yards and can only play golf with an electric buggy. The pain in my calf and hips is only when walking. I have had a vascular ultra sound and lower back MRI to try and get to the root cause. Nothing has shown up and have now been referred to muscular skeletal. I have also seen a sports physio who says I may have a flat arch on my foot. This only affects my left leg by the way. My shoulder is in severe pain every morning when I wake. The last 2 years have been severeky debilitating.

To conclude, I forgot to take my tablets for the first 2 days of this week and noticed that my shoulder was pain free on the 3rd day. I realised after wracking my brains for 2 years that just maybe all this pain began when I started taking amlodopine. I have deliberately not taken the pills now for the last 5 days and have just completed 2x two mile walks completely pain free and my shoulder and wrist are pain free too.

I have an appointment with my GP on Monday when both barrells will be released as to why this has not been detected. Just to mention I have seen 4 different GP's at my practice regarding this leg issue.

I will let you know the outcome.

• Posted

Dear Johnathan

I can relate to you. I have numbness in my right hand.I have severe lower back muscle pain which radiates to my hips and thighs all day everyday I thought perhaps it might be because I am overweight/ occupational hazard as a caregiver. I'm going to my doctor many times and ask them to take me off his meds she said your medicine is a good combination for your blood pressure so this time when I go in I'm going to tell him to take me off of it and put me on something else I can't take it I can't play with my grandson I can't function I'm miserable I hurt all the time I have to do yoga exercises to help myself thank you for telling your story it has motivated me to finally speak out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.