Amlodipine nightmare

Posted , 9 users are following.

Several significant changes have occurred since taking this drug. Initially I took 5mg in the morning which resulted in severe headaches. I didn't make a connection at first and underwent tests for sight, which resulted in glasses for reading, and then I had hearing tests. The headaches continued so I started to take my medication in the evening. The headaches ceased immediately in the daytime, but I now have frequent headaches during the night, accompanied by dreadful nightmares. Along with this is an enduring tiredness and lethargy which is hard to shake off. As I care for my disabled wife it has caused a lot of anxiety. Finding this forum has been helpful as I can now argue my case with the GP that Amlodipine is responsible.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Same with me, I started off with 5mg and since Amlodipine didn't lower my bp enough the doc put me on 10mg...BIG MISTAKE. This drug has been my worst enemy. I have some of your symptoms but no nightmares, I sleep so deep I don't hear my alarm which is not normal for me. I do have lots more heavy duty headaches and sometimes stabbing pains in my head which is not normal for me, however I do have migraines but these pains are different than them. Tiredness is so extreme I feel like a zombie day and night, upper back/shoulder pain, peripheral neuropathy, eye disturbances as well as occasional aches and shooting pains in eye(s) that wake me up, constant indigestion, occasional fleeting pains through heart, and lots more side effects I can't recall at the moment because my memory has gone as well!! Have you noticed an inability to concentrate? I am studying for a major test and can not focus or concentrate and forget memorising, that is out of the question while on this drug. I need to stop this drug in spite of it lowering bp, but can't stop it cold turkey, need to reduce slowly otherwise I read there could be a rebound effect and that would not be welcome. I think you and I as well as all on here with side effects that are unbearable to live with need to ask our GP's for a new drug. I hope we can find a better alternative, however, I believe lifestyle changes can help most of us, but we all know how difficult it can be to change, you have to want to change in order to do so. The best of luck to you michael259, hope you get some help from your GP.
  • Posted

Thanks for this 2BMedFree.. Interestingly I too have had really bad indigestion and reflux which has interfered with my sleep. I am aiming to try to cut down on a gradual basis and monitor my BP, and also watch for any reduction/regression in symptoms. I intend to inform my GP at some point, but would rather have some evidence to present so that I get a proper response. I'll keep you posted. Best wishes and hope you can get it sorted too.
  • Posted

And I also forgot to mention the oedema in feet, ankles and legs, Doc said that side effect would more than likely disappear, but hasn't. Yes, michael259, please keep me posted and hopefully your Doc will decide to make changes in your therapy. Do you have any idea of the proper way to discontinue Amlodipine? The Doc's office would not inform me when I asked them, they said I would need to make an appointment to visit the Doc, but at the moment, I can't take the time out to visit him anytime soon. I am not sure how to cut down properly, guess I may check a credible medical site on the internet if you do not know off hand. Thanks, the best to you, michael259!!
  • Posted

Hi 2BmedFree, to be honest I'm taking one 5 mg tab every second night, having one night free. I have a B/P monitor and take a reading three times a day to keep my eye on any fluctuations, of which there have been none of any note yet. I intend then to break the tab in half after a few weeks and see what happens before aiming to stop altogether. Not sure if the medics would agree with this, but already I am feeling more energetic and the nightmares have stopped. However, on the nights I take a tablet I get a headache. Feels like an important example of the drugs effect. I'm sure a GP would say this isn't a good idea, but I will persist and make my report when I have sufficient evidence to present. Oh, and if I survive!!! Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi michael259, it's been awhile since we have compared our Amlodipine experiences. Have you seen the doctor regarding this drug? Have you stopped taking it and change to another drug? I am still on it but cut 10 mg in half to 5 mg. Not easy to cut as they tend to crumble but I am careful and try and divide them as carefully as possible. I know this is not a correct dosage, but some is better than none and my bp is more regular again. I still feel exhausted and drag about, heartburns aren't as bad on this lower dose and headaches are not as bad or frequent, oedema in legs, ankles and feet is still present but could be from another cause? I do have lower back pain but again, could be another cause. So hard to tell as I may have a UTI which is a good reason to see the doc and to also go over this drug. I may have the doc put me back down to the 5 mg dosage again if my bp still continues to improve and if he sees fit.

Please let me know what's going on with your Amlodipine experience and what your doctor had to say if you had indeed attended an appointment. All the best to you!!

• Posted

Hi 2BMedFree, sorry about the delay in getting back. I have made great progress since we last talked. I stopped taking the Amlodipine for three days after an initial taking one every other day, but this resulted in quite dramatic palpitations. I decided then to have a talk with my GP who listened very carefully and agreed that I'd given them a fair run. He put me on indapamide 2.5 mg and I'm delighted to report that these really work for me; blood pressure low, no headaches, and I am feeling energetic and positive. Significantly, the reflux has almost stopped. It had been so bad that I had a Endoscopy last Wednesday (which has shown no major problems) Thankfully he is a doctor who listens and respects his patients, and operates with a straightforward and respectful manner - not like some past GP's who treated any questions or comments with disregard, and annoyance. So, I am greatly relieved and can sleep without interruption now that the headaches have gone. Hope you can have some resolution too, and thank you for your contacts, they have been instrumental in reassuring me that I was not alone in my difficulties with Amlodipine. Best wishes to you.
  • Posted

I have just posted in the discussion 'I know it was amlodopine' and you may find it useful.
  • Posted

I am having lots of tiredness with Amlodipine.  I am a 66 year old female.  Since I am taking three other drugs for my heart, BP and angina, it is difficult to narrow down what is happening so I just stopped taking them for a few days. Probably not a good idea since my BP went up.  I went back on Metoprolol to lower BP and that did lower my BP.  Still, I am having tiredness.  I guess I need to check out the other medications.  Thanks for everyone's input.  I also got a UTI and had several bouts of indigestion so I'm staying off this drug to see what happens.

Angela

• Posted

I too was waking in the middle of the night with severe headaches and its only your post above that has helped me connect it to Amlodopine. I already connected severe tiredness and lethargy, constant throat clearing and uticaria to this drug. I have gradually reduced the drug and have now been off it for two weeks. Already I am feelingmore energetic and no longer have to have naps during the day which I was putting down to my age. I hope the Dr. tries another drug on you and doesn't try to encourage you to continue taking Amlodopine. Mind you, it is YOUR body so you can insist that you are refusing to take it and he will HAVE to try you on something else. I have tried several different drugs for high blood pressure but, sadly, if there a side effect to be had then I seem to get them sad Good luck smile
    • Posted

Carol

I have tried several different drugs for high blood pressure but, sadly, if there a side effect to be had then I seem to get them [sad]

Snap!   Maddening isn't it, Carol!rolleyes  Have you tried Losartan? It seems to be the only one with no discernible side effects for me after many months.....so far!

• Posted

Carol

"I have tried several different drugs for high blood pressure but, sadly, if there a side effect to be had then I seem to get them"

Snap!  Maddening isn't it Carol.  Have you tried Losartan Potassium.  After some months on this, I haven't noticed any discernible side effects........yet!

• Posted

Thank you Mrs. O. Haven't tried THAT one yet so will go see my Dr and tell her I have stopped taking the Amlodopin (luckily over past three weeks no discernable increase in my blood pressure but maybe not off it long enough to show yet) and see if I can try Losartan Posassium. Cheers smile
    • Posted

My mother was on Losartan 100mg daily. Caused her to have many falls - not recovering from previous one before having the next. They were caused by sudden blackouts. I tried Losartan up to 75mg daily - and that was enough for me to have 'wobbly moments'. It could be a killer if driving when you blackout.

Incidentally, I found this thread looking for Amlodipine and headaches - as it's cure mine ! (And I know another person with at same result!)

• Posted

Thanks for the comment re tiredness. It's something I suffer with so am now going to shift the Amlodipine to about 9pm - see if I can sleep better through the night and much less through the day !

• Posted

Hi - I have just started taking amlodipine as the indapamide wasn't lowering my blood pressure enough. Is anybody else taking these 2 medications together? I feel a bit odd this morning (started the amlodipine yesterday) but will keep you posted as to how I go. Thanks :-)

• Posted

Well I have now come off this medication, have never felt so bad. I took it for 2 days and suffered with really bad headache, nausea, pains in my arms and ankles. I would rather drop down dead happily unaware of my high blood pressure than go on for years feeling like I did the last 2 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.