Amlodipine nightmare

Posted , 9 users are following.

Several significant changes have occurred since taking this drug. Initially I took 5mg in the morning which resulted in severe headaches. I didn't make a connection at first and underwent tests for sight, which resulted in glasses for reading, and then I had hearing tests. The headaches continued so I started to take my medication in the evening. The headaches ceased immediately in the daytime, but I now have frequent headaches during the night, accompanied by dreadful nightmares. Along with this is an enduring tiredness and lethargy which is hard to shake off. As I care for my disabled wife it has caused a lot of anxiety. Finding this forum has been helpful as I can now argue my case with the GP that Amlodipine is responsible.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I’ve read all the feedback on the Amlodipine. Although I find most of the feedback to be negative, the jury is still out on my decision about the drug. Here’s my story. Had high blood pressure for decades and have taken blood pressure medication for it, but b/p still high (I have high cholesterol level, too). My doctor put me on Amlodipine about a month ago. Immediate side effects were that my nose and skin on my face by my nose felt like I had a chemical burn and the skin was very dry, and I did get tired after dinner time. I have since been putting vitamin E oil on effected dry area on my face, which helped a lot and keeps my skin feeling/looking good. My whole face does still itch, though, especially my eye brows!  In an effort to try to get less of the side effects in my body at one time, I halved the pill, taking one half in the morning and the other half at night. The tiredness thing...since I have issues sleeping well at night anyway, I’ve been taking half of my daily pill in the morning and half at night (thinking it might actually help me sleep, which it seems to). If I can tolerate the side effects, which aren’t going away, I’d Like to continue taking the Amodipine, since my b/p daily readings have been great for me.  I guess we need to consider if the risks if the side effects are worth the risks of why we are taking the drug in the first place. Maybe tomorrow I will decide the side effects aren’t worth it, but for today, for me, they are. Tomorrow is another day...I’ll take this one day at a time. Blessings 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.