Amlodipine: Shoulder and Neck Pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, friends.

Due to some confusion between CVS and my doctor I was without my Amlodipine for a week before CVS finally agreed to give me three pills to get through until my prescription is refilled today or tomorrow. I had to leave work early yesterday because I didn't feel right; I can't describe it other than to say something was definitely off and I was anxious enough to call CVS and basically plead with them to give me some pills. One thing I definitely noticed, though, was the pain in my right shoulder. I used to pitch and my shoulder felt like I had just pitched both games of a doubleheader. It wasn't a throbbing, unbearable pain, but it was noticeable and my arm felt dead as if I wouldn't have anything on my fastball if I had to pitch again (apologies for the baseball analogies, lol).

Then my left shoulder started to feel the same way, and finally my neck felt like I had slept wrong or had whiplash. I picked up my pills and a bottle of water and took a pill before I left the pharmacy yesterday afternoon. My shoulders and neck continued to feel off through yesterday evening, but when I woke up this morning the pain was gone. It would be easy to blame it on a lack of Amlodipine for a week, so I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced anything like the above.

Thanks again and I hope you're all doing well.

Michael

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi Seamhead - Yep, look up what Calcium Channel Blockers do....they reduce the calcium into the muscle - When i went cold turkey off of Amlodopine, i woke up one day and was convinced i was experiencing a blood clot, i had such intense pain radiating up my leg from my foot, it was awful. i am convinced that my 5 years on Amlodopine gave me achilles tendonapothy - not only our my heels deformed, but i am in constant pain. My biggest regret is that i didnt investigate this drug before willingly just taking it - not a good drug in my opinion.

• Posted

Pain from missing the amlodipine for a week!?

It takes on the order of a week to clear out of your system, for what that's worth.

I dropped amlodipine about two years ago, and never noticed any problems like that.

• Posted

Hello Seamhead,

People have different reactions while on drugs. However, i believe the symptoms you decribed could be sheer coi

incidence, or your personal reaction because your body needed it.

I stopped taking this dug once before and experienced terrible tinnitus for a few hours. All in all amlodipine 5 mg works good for me.

• Posted

Thank you for the replies, everyone. As Victoria speculated I'm beginning to think it was, in fact, a coincidence. I've been back on the pills for the last three days and the pain is still lingering. Initially I couldn't figure out what I did to cause pain in my shoulders and neck, but the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards a couple of nights of awkward sleep. I jumped to conclusions and hope I didn't stress anyone who might be reluctant to take this Rx. For what it's worth, my BP is back to within optimal levels thanks to a combo of Amlodipine and Triamterene, and the Atorvastatin has lowered my cholesterol significantly. I went from "Houston, we have a problem" to optimal levels in three months. Fingers crossed.

All my best.

• Posted

hello i am having the same issue i have been on amlodopine sorry if I’m not spelling it right.. anyway I’ve been on it for about a week and this morning I woke up with severe neck pain in my back and it’s affecting my breathing I was like oh my God I never felt like this because they switched me from lisinopril to amlodipine because the lisinopril was giving me really bad chest painsI literally thought I had lung cancer or a clot in my neck it was so bad at this point I’m not gonna take it anymore the doctor is going to switch me to something else but I’m afraid of not taking anything due to the high blood pressure hypertension thank you for sharing your story because I felt like I was totally alone

• Posted

I’m noticing one thing and all the replies everyone saying that they experienced this once they came off of it but I’m experiencing it while I’m on it

is it a side effect of being on it as well as coming off of it wow if that’s the case then this drug is really bad for me anyway

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.