Feeling Better or Worse With Gout

1st Gout attack 12 months ago. Vegetarian Diet since then and NO

2nd attack !  Also used foods spices and supplements said to prevent Gout

symptoms such as :   1) Cherry Juice Extract 2) Magnesium

3) 2 Ibuprophen per day 4) lemon 5) Rosemary 6) Turmeric

7) 1/4 tsp baking soda per day 8) Celery Seed - 10 min. tea

9) Ginger 10) 4 Cups of Coffee per day 11)  at least 2 litres

of water per day in addition to the coffee

Remember with the above I have not had a second Gout attack !

Either try the above or endure frequent and intense pain.

It works, good luck with your condition as we are not all the same,

however it is clear that meats and seafood are not good for our conditions, so it only makes sense to be a vegetarian. Important 

though if you intend to become vegan you should take Calcium

and Vitamin D plus a multi-vitamin with minerals each day. A multi

generally has enough B12 to prevent you from developing pernicious anemia. Believe me it is a real condition many vegans

develop not because they are not getting enough iron. Rather the

problem is that there are no significant sources of B12 in the vegan

world. B 12 is essential for red blood cell formation. Unless you follow the above advice re Vegan Diet you will be subject to poor health in the long run. If a vegan swallows their

pride and accepts a need for supplementation in their case then 

they can be very healthy.

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I got my first attack when I was 14 years old, they wouldn't give me meds so they put me in a cast until the pain went away.. Since then, and now in my late 40's I've only had 2 other attacks. I was given indomethacin, which wreaked havoc on my stomach so I searched online for alternatives and found that Bromelain & turmeric to keep the pain away. Although i feel a tinge of it every now and then, I drink either cherry juice or take bromelain. But also some form of do low impact exercise is great for it too. Water definitely helps to flush out the uric acids in your system too.

• Posted

Horrible story! Age 14! I didn't even know that was possible!

I agree totally about the water.

However, while you are reducing your levels to not get attacks, are you maintaining your level of urate at the optimum level for the level of organs? What is horrible is that being diagnosed with gout increases death rates considerably (esp heart disease). Because this is slow and insidious, GPs seem

unconcerned about this.

• Posted

I got checked in April, everything seemed normal then. Far as I know I don't have high cholesterol must be one of the lucky ones. I don't do anything special just watch what I eat, stay away from GMO's & wheat as much as possible,  drink water and exercise. Come to think of it no doctor has ever mentioned anything about my gout maybe because I don't have a bad case of it, but I'd like to learn more about maintaining my urate levels down. In my 20's my uric acid levels were high, and the doctors were giving me tests like once a week, having me drink tons of water, until they saw my levels were back down. They were concerned about me and my urate levels. Once they were down though I went on my merry way and forgot all about it until now that you're mentioning it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.