An Experiment with Borax

Posted , 187 users are following.

So, I've been in Vietnam now for just over a month. Haven't had any itching, but the white plaque has expanded and looked like a bit more fusing had occured. Panic set in and of course I was trying not to. However, now that we're here, my husband has been able to start doing more research to help me. And he came across some stuff about borax. So we started an experiment 6 days ago. Not using any steroids, but instead each morning and night he's applying to one side a saturated borax solution and the other side a saturated baking soda solution (as we'd read that some people found baking soda helpful). We've been taking photos in order to compare as we progress. As mentioned, we are on day 6 and there is honestly some change! My clitoris which was quite white has returned to pink. And while the whole area still has some white, the pink is really starting to move in more. The biggest changes are on the side with the borax, with some change on the side with the baking soda (but since some of the borax can get rubbed off on that baking soda side we can't say for certain that the baking soda is having a major effect). We are feeling optimistic about this and I will keep everyone posted. During the day I do continue to add vitamin E oil to keep moisturized.

23 likes, 959 replies

959 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I would be interested to know what kind of solution you have made.  Is it baking soda/borax in water?  How much of each?  
    • Posted

As mentioned above, my husband made a "saturated solution" of each. So one of borax/water and one of baking soda/water. Essentially he slowly added each to water, stirring to disolve and until it wouldn't disolve any further. The amount will be dependent upon how much water you're using, or how much solution you make. For application he dipped a q-tip into the solution and applied it to the lichen. We never soaked in it, just wet the area and then allowed it to dry. Once in the morning and once in the evening. It's been 6 days and there's definitely a difference and it's just surreal to the see the colour coming back. And to see no white on my clitoris...my vag has been white for so long, I don't even remember what it should look like normally, this is pretty wild. I'll post another update in a week.
    • Edited

Probably as wild as when I discovered by accident that baking soda rinses made the fusing disappear. It's great to hear of this success.

• Posted

The baking soda hasn't made my fusing disappear, but I wonder if it's due to the type of application we're doing. Your rinses, did you use a spray bottle of baking soda/water, or did you soak?
    • Posted

I do baking soda rinses and baths.  Plus I eat as much as possible alkaline.  All together have made a difference.  
    • Posted

Hi

I have recently been diagnosed with LS and am learning about it, can you please explain what 'fusing' is.

Thank you

• Edited

Fusing is when things adhere to each other. So, for example, your inner and outer labia may become stuck together, the liitle hood of your clitoris could adhere to the clitoris. Sadly, so many women don't regularly check themselves out, unless there's an issue, why would we? So sometimes a woman might think they've got a yeast infection but as it turns out it LS and they discover that their labia has fused, or the clitoris has fused. I found a good explanation on a .net site for lichenscherosus that explains clearly what fusing is and why it happens. I can cut n' paste it here if you want. I found it helpful for understanding better. Suffice it to say, it's pretty distressing if you find out you've got fusing occuring, or it has occured. Mine wasn't very far along, but in using the borax it has released. Not sure if this has been helpful or not. Hope so!

• Posted

Hi Alistar

My reply to you was deleted by the moderator, no idea why, but thank you for the information. I'm not sure if my labia have shrunk or fused though, how can I tell. They sre definately smaller than they used to be.

• Posted

I'd say probably fused which in turn would make them appear smaller. I was super freaked out because I started looking at pictures of vaginas trying to figure out how much fusing had happened. I had gotten myself in a right tizzy about it all. And then I started thinking and trying to calm down. That's when I realized I've never had a big labia minora. It's actually very small. Fusing had occurred, but not to the degree I had thought. With any luck you can get the borax going and hault the LS in it's tracks and hopefully the fusing will release for you too!

Did you include any web links? Sometimes, depending on the link, a post will be deleted.

• Posted

Hi there Hanny - I travel a lot and find t difficult to manage the fusing + itching especially in hot climates. I have a spray bottle but what quantity of baking soda should I use and how often? Also, I have a plastic sitz bath which I can use at home (shower, no bath) and again, what quantity should I use? All advice appreciated!
    • Posted

In a full bath I use 1/3 cup of baking soda.  For a sitzbath that is of course less. 

• Posted

I guess I didn't know I had a problem until the itching began. My obgyn found it down there. I haven't had sex in a couple years so I guess that's why I didn't know what was going on down there. I wonder if the other women haven't had sex in a while also?

• Posted

I use a tsp of each. Put in a little warm bottled water to dissolve. The add enough of bottled water to make 1 cup. Mix up and put in a ketchup dispensing bottle. Use after each bathroom visit before patting dry I did use a spray bottle but it kept on getting stopped up
    • Posted

Hi, I am quite new to this site and just read your post re borax from a year ago. Can you please tell me if this solution still works for you and how much improvement have you had?
    • Posted

Hi Jill. The solution is still working for me. I do take breaks though when i'm feeling good and symptom free - which I also treat as a sort of test to see how long I can remain symptom free. But all in all, it's been a real blessing. Quite honestly I often forget I even have LS. I started out with some minor fusing and the white plaque, the itching didn't happen often (but when it did it was so distracting and awful). So I guess I would say, for me, I've had amazing improvement. And I'm incredibly happy that I don't have to use the clob, or any other types of creams. I'd much prefer to go the more natural route when it's possible.

• Posted

That's fantastic news, I'm so pleased for you and hopefully reading this it will help lots of other people too. Can I also please ask, if you are UK based where did you buy the borax? I've been looking on the internet this morning but I'm worried in case I get something that's not the real thing. I have seen my GP also this morning and I asked her to refer me to a dermatologist just for more advice. She has also given me the clobetasol ointment instead of the dermovate cream I've had previously- I told her my friend uses that and finds it far better than a cream.

• Posted

I'm originally from Canada but am now living in Vientam - which was how this experiment came about (while I did bring some clob with me, I wasn't sure how easily I'd get more). There are many women here from the UK. I know there's a lot of posts, but if you scroll through it has been detailed a few times about how to purchase if you're in the UK. I think most go through Amazon.

• Posted

Rightio, that's my job for this weekend then - I'll definitely order some. My friend is waiting to see if it works on me then she will try it too. Thanks again and have a lovely weekend.

• Posted

That sucks.  I'm living in Canada.  You buy it here in the laundry department.  Many people use it to increase the strength of cleaning with their laundry detergent.  Works especially when your load of laundry is exceptionally dirty. 

?I was wondering... it is a mineral.  Is there an area in England where minerals are 'harvested'?  And are there other minerals that may have the same result for Lichen Sclerosis?

• Posted

Hi Yvonne, sorry I've only just seen your msg. I haven't started using the borax yet as I'm at the hospital in July and want them to see me as I am now. I have also decided to ask if they are aware of the borax treatment and if they think it would be ok to use. I will let you know what they say.

• Posted

Can you cut and place the epalination of fusing, I have just discoved my inner Libia has fused, I have been given an appointment to see a dermertoligist , " suspected skin cancer" as you can imagine Iam pretty shocked.

?I ve had LS for a number of years, and none of the symptoms  a lot of you have exprienced.

?

• Posted

Do you mean the article I linked somewhere in here about fusing? I'm not sure what you mean about cutting and pasting the explanation of fusing. I'm sorry to hear about the fusing, it's a terrifying discovery.

• Posted

Refined Borax can be found for purchase on Amazon. I don't think they'll allow me to post the link for it here. I would think this is FAR better than purchasing it from the laundry isle.

Best of Luck!

• Posted

I just looked this up on Amazon.

Type in: Borax - All Natural Sodium Borate 10 mol Mineral Powder

That should take directly to the refined Borax that I purchased last September. I use a sitz-bath basin that fits in the toilet set. This holds 10 cups of water. After reading some of these I'm not sure I have been adding enough. I am bumping the amount I put in to 1/4th of a teaspoon. Even that may not be enough but I know this is strong and I want to be conservative before I add more.

Please weigh in if you have advice!

wink)

• Edited

You mention a tsp of each. What are the “each” - Borax and baking soda?  Thanks. Been feeling with LS for a year and think it’s spreading. Looking for solutions.  
    • Posted

Water borax and baking soda made into paste. Applied and a person got rid of LS
    • Posted

Hi hanny32508, I wanted to answer your question about any other minerals that may have the same result for LS. Here is MY answer, I get to it at the end of my post. By the way, I am aware results for everyone are different. Ive been perpetually confused by all the posts, googling and looking up differences between these three often discussed ingredients, I just looked everything up again to make sure Im correct: people mention baking soda. People mention borax (not to be confused with boron or boric acid). And people mention sodium bicarbonate aka bicarbonate. 

To clarify:

Bicarbonate = Sodium Bicarbonate

Baking Soda = ALSO Sodium Bicarbonate

Borax = Sodium Borate

I have yet to get my hands on Borax because I cannot find it in the Netherlands where Ive been for the last few months. However Im going back to the US in one week and plan to incorporate it into my daily application regime. 

BUT, I HAVE been using a concentrated mix of water, Bicarbonate aka Baking soda (i also add 3 drops of tea tree essential oil). I apply as a spritz to the entire area every time after I pee, so in my case its about 5-6 times a day. I dab it once with a square of tp and let it dry on my skin. If you use any other things or concoctions during the day (oils etc) just wait about a half hour for the area to dry before applying. Keep a little spray bottle right side up in your purse/bag go you can apply it everywhere you go. I have to wrap my bottle in a small piece of tp since it always leaks into my bag, but totally worth the effort. Ive been using the bicarbonate mix now for 8 days, along with a multitude of other ingredients and since using the bicarbonate mix, my situation has improved A LOT. Therefore, like the original poster said, Borax may be a little more effective, but sodium bicarbonate is allowing my skin's ph balance to improve and the white pearly area where its fused/atrophied seems to be fading into a much less white color and areas around the white are also getting back to the natural skin tone. This to me is a good sign of improvement. Im sure you can find sodium bicarbonate in England, best to find it at a organic vitamin-type store just to be sure. The only ingredient in it should be 100% sodium bicarbonate. Hope this helps!

• Posted

I also keep a spray bottle in my bathroom and spray after every pee when I'm at home. I put in filtered water into about a 6 oz. spray bottle and 1/4 teaspoon of borax and a couple of drops of lavender oil (good for inflammation and itching) and I think it really helps! You need to keep the bottle full with the water, otherwise, it's slightly difficult to spray since you have to hold the bottle at an awkward tilt to spray yourself. I additionally coat myself with organic castor oil, mixed with a couple of drops of lavender oil plus a drop of lemongrass oil -- both good for fungus, too) before bed at night and after the wetness from the spray has dried. I hardly itch at all and I everything feels and looks a lot healthier and it's been about a month since I've been doing this. I had been taking sitz baths using borax and baking soda, but haven't had time for them recently and I'm still getting better, so I think that the spraying and the castor oil is what is making the significant difference.

I had also done an internal borax cleanse, which I think was very helpful.

You'll want to be sure that you are getting high grade borax for this, which I ordered from Amazon, just to be sure (although, many people use the laundry aisle stuff)

Good luck to everyone! It's so heartwarming to know that we can control LS without the use of steroids and that we can actually heal and be healthy!

• Posted

Hi.. whatever works. for you is a good thing...hope that you will continue to. use the products that are healing...you are doing the right thing..
    • Posted

Hi Resigned, 

where can i buy a sitz bath basin? i want to try the borax mix, right now i am useing the aloe/turmic oil mix , this my second day of that and it seems to work no itching or burnin.. janie

• Posted

Hi Janie...you can get it in any drugstore. And you can get it from Amazon also...
    • Posted

I am using about 1/8 cup sodium bicarbonate. to a sitz bath that sits on the commode. It instantly got rid of the burning but I am still not un-fusing. .

I wish I could have a timeline on when that may happen.

• Posted

Hi Julia..have patience.....does not happen overnight....i used the sitz for at least 1 month...every day used the sitz bath until I got better.  Don't get discouraged...it's takes time to heal a sensitive area...and everyone is different, ....it takes a little time to do its job.   I was getting no where until I started using the sitz bath..don't forget to use the hottest water possible...but comfortable for you..It took me a few months to heal...but it was worth it...and I use to cry I didn't understand why this was happening to me.  but it happens to many of us ladies....I know I have autoimmune disease...so that may be a contributing factor...but please don't stop....it should un fuse you ...let me know how you are  doing....Jo Ann

• Posted

Thank you for the encouragement. If i didnt have this site to check into often I would feel so alone.
    • Posted

You. are not alone..we are in this together..you be fine ..just takes time..your friend JoAnn
    • Posted

I'm in Canada and couldn't find it on Amazon. Would Milliard Borax Powder be the same thing? I saw that.

• Edited

Hi in Canada...I don't know...got .mine from Amazon...its called. "Prescribed for Life" Borax. .11 % Boron...hope that helps...

• Posted

I couldn't find the borax on Amazon the brand "prescribed for life "...can somebody advice me, please! thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.