An unpleasant taste in my mouth!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi  to all you wonderfully ladies just wondering if anyone could help me with advice?. Iam 45and for a few months I just haven't felt my normal self, somedays I feel ok bit like a lot of others like today I DON'T feel quite depressed! Just want to b on my own and not wanting to talk to anyone. And a horrid taste in my mouth now for over a week and not wanting to eat foods I like as it seems to leave a horrid taste in my mouth . Today I have a horrid taste aginn as I had liver last night .i think in on the change? Should I goto the doctors or am I been silly? Does anyone else feel like this? Just feel so bloody low like the whole world is against me, I even take offence to the slightest littlest thing!. Why am I like this ?

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Welcome to premanpause!!! I am 46 this year and what your experience is premanpause, mood swings, feeling unsociable, weird taste, and days feeling like your not hear. There will be good days, and there will be bad days.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for getting back to me, I have often wondered if I was experiencing the premanapause?, just feel so bloody low. Nearly all the time just lately but my periods ok still! That is one thing that I used to say I carnt be on the premanpause because my periods r still regular. Is there anything to help with mood swings etc from the GP? I don't think I could cope like this forever? What about certain foods to boost yourself ? Who do I seek this information off? Will the doctor help? Questions / questions SORRY but who do I ask for help from? Will medication help? Thankyou.
  • Posted

Hi Michelle.  I can sympathise with you. I feel just the same, Very low and for no reason. I am almost 42 and I think I am a bit more than a year now in peri. In the beginning of peri I also had that bad tast in my mouth. If you search for the 66 symptoms of peri you will find it.  

I hope you feel better to and it helps to know that you are not alone.

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Certainly sounds like peri menopause.....often catches us ladies in our 40s.

I would try the natural route first at this stage, maybe be St Johns Wort and other health shop preparations for " mood lifting" 

It may be worth checking with your Doctor if there IS anything going on in your tummy ? We make less or sometimes more stomach acid often at this stage of our lives.....easily remedied once identified. And a test for a yeast infection in your gut can also be the problem...? 

I always say, start to keep a diary of foods, feelings and symptoms. You can buy a cheap,this year,  A4 size diary ( which people don't want any more) from Amazon for about £1...! Truly, just bought one for a buddy ! This you can show to your partner, a doctor and whoever has a vested interest. It can also show you patterns of behaviour and food tolerances...really useful.

And honey,....you need to take care of yourself better than you ever have. It can be a challenging time for us all.......

Take care and good luck 💕

• Posted

Hello lovely, welcome to the club!! don't worry this is perfectly normal even though unpleasant as are all of the other symptoms that you may get, i have been in peri now for 4yrs and still struggling with many things, keep coming to this forum, we are all in the same boat and there is lots of help and advice from wonderful women who are all going through the same things, it has helped me, stay wonderful xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,

This is part of perimenopause. Your hormones are dropping, and it really affects your mood (my mood, all our moods). Other things, taste, anything that comes from your nervous system. But honey, you don't have to, thank the sweet heavens and stars above, suffer it too much. 

I think keeping a diary is excellent, and learning about surges and ebbs of the monthly hormones is really a good idea. You can see if it is ovulation (when your estrogen is high) or pre menstrual time (again, an estrogen surge) that is when the bad mood strikes.

The fact that your period hasn't changed doesn't mean much. Mine is still regular as clockwork, and I have been suffering peri symptoms for maybe 8 years (I am 51). 

The things to do about mood: exercise. It really helps, and you just have to go for a 40 minute walk three times a week. Buy good running shoes, if you can afford them. If you go out when you are in a bad mood, you will notice the mood change by about the 30 minute mark. It is kinda magic.

Natural remedies. They can be expensive, though. st. john's wort. a lot of people here recommend menopace. 

Make sure you get a lot of rest and down time, if possible. Do meditation, try yoga. See what you like. Really I changed my whole life because of this perimenopause. But it has been good in the end.

You can take anti-depressants as well. I do (well, I have always suffered from depression, so of course I do). It's a controversial subject, but you can also go on progesterone, or use progesterone cream before your periods or when you ovulate, whenever the estrogen is high. To be honest, that is the thing that helps me the most. You can buy the cream on amazon. 

But you are totally not being silly, michelle. Suffering depression is really  hard, I oughtta know! Whether it's hormonal, or because of your brain, in my case, it is an awful thing. So please do take steps, try this and that, and don't suffer. I feel pretty good now, a lot better than I did five years ago. I am still in perimenopause, but I know all the ins and outs and have solutions for things. Good luck to you, Michelle. 

• Posted

Wow Thankyou for your replay. I haven't felt myself since November 2014 when we moved house. Christmas I was having real bad migranes everyday ( though NOT christmas day) thankgod as I have 3 children the youngest one been 7). After Christmas I couldn't take anymore hard as it is 3 children with migraines it's HARD so GP perscribed me BEDRAMOL 80 mg a day and worked BRILLIANT. So I continue. And steadily other symptoms have thought they would pop up 2 my mood swing are terrible some days I'm good but a lot of others are BAD feeling very low low self asteem depressed bad taste in my mouth NOT wanting company just want to b on my own. I do work 3 days a week in retail so when I feel like poop and have customers to deal with well I feel in no mood as probably come across as a negative person!?. BUT what I can I do anything to help me tablets etc as it certainly isn't fair to b like this as my children are to small and young to understand this. I do how ever have a doctors app tom morn, BUT the GP is new and very young will he understand about premenopausal  as of couse no lady doctors are available?!. Will he give me anything Magic potion perhaps, mmmm maybe Not. What do I say to him? Any advice as to how I approach this interesting topic?.
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, we are both awake at the same time! 

Michelle, to be honest, if I had 3 kids, I would be really aggressive about treating my moods. I wouldn't worry about what gender the doctor is, it is all a bit of a crapshoot with them generally. I would describe the problems exactly to the doctor, maybe write it down beforehand so it is clear and you don't forget anything. They might recommend the Pill, I don't know if you are on it now. 

I want to ask you if your periods are regular, or spaced close together? And do you have broken veins in your legs? Periods spaced close together and broken leg veins indicate lack of progesterone, which has been a really issue for me. Progesterone cream has worked really well to help deal with pms for me. However there are a lot of mixed reports about hormone therapy, about its dangers. I have looked into it a bit, and it seems pretty ambiguous to me. Even hrt, which got such a bad rap from one study, had a contradictory study from Denmark, and using progesterone only had a pretty good report from a Canadian study, in terms of the increased danger of cancer. I mean, the Canadian study indicated that the risks of cancer were associated more with estrogen usage than progesterone.

I am sorry if I am overloading you. 

Maybe you are thinking about anti-depressants? If I were you, I would try the progesterone cream first. 

Of course I use anti-depressants, I really do have a mental illness. But when I started the peri symptoms, I increased my dose to try to help me deal with them, but it didn't help. The progesterone helped. I decreased the dose of anti-depressants again.  I don't know if this information is useful. 

Between exercise, progesterone cream, and an herbal supplement (along with the Pill and iron supplements, because I have really heavy periods, it's not your problem at all), I feel pretty good now. 

I wouldn't worry about your customers, how they experience you is pretty momentary. But your kids . . anyway, you've got the right attitude, you are concerned and aware. 

I have really learned, by fits and starts, to put myself and my health foremost. I really hate to parcel out that advice haphazardly, because it is not always possible, and I haven't always done it. We all have to sort out our own priorities and what we can live with. 

Oh I hope this helps. But something will help. You just keep trying this and that. 

• Posted

Hey soooooo thanking you for your kind help, it's such a relief  to have a so helpful person there. More questions (so sorry) actually my periods had been ok then Christmas started abit hay wire, spotting one week for about 3 days stop then the following week a proper period with 2 days woth of extremely herendous migraines (which are now under controll with medication) then had a period Friday just gone it was so bad it knocked me out I was absolutly shattered and in bed for 7pm and had 11and half hours sleep. For 2 days I was shattered felt sick had horrid taste inmy mouth. I could say it WAS one of my Worst periods so far...... So like I say a I'd however suffer from extremely bad migraines &i do remember a GP telling me to b careful with anything Progesterone in as it can trigger of my migraines?!. NO I don't have any Broken veins on my legs is this an indication for something?. I think mayb Anti depressants would b good for me? Or at least I think they would? Many thanks.
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer just read your post I to suffer from severe depression and have to take antidepressants and for the last 8 months I have felt terrible doc changed my antidepressants and like you put them up now they have put them down? But I kept telling my husband that things felt different this time why do I feel ok for a couple of weeks then bam feel horrendous for the next few weeks I think reading your post I have found my answer!! (Hope so) thank you
    • Posted

The broken leg veins are a symptom of progesterone deficiency. 

Yaaah, I am sorry about your bad experience with your periods. To be honest, I have had bad periods since they started in my teens, with horrendous pain,vomitting, diarrhoea, flooding, clotting - that's why I stay on the Pill. The periods are still heavy but no cramps now. I guess from my perspective, you are kind of used to good health, aside from the migraines, and I am kind of used to bad health. 

I said that kind of flippantly, I am so sorry. I only had one migraine in my life, and it was the only time I ever stayed home from work.So that is a lot to cope with.  I just took a quick look at the  Internet about migraines, and it seems they are associated with low estrogen. I don't have any experience with this. You could try estrogen creams, also available in stores or on Amazon. I really can't say.

About the anti-depressants, I guess you are thinking about trying them and are a little nervous? A lot of people use them around this time. I hardly know what to recommend, honey. They certainly help me, but my problem didn't start in perimenopause. I guess give them a try? And if they work, keep on them for a good long stretch, don't go on and off, unless they have side effects. I use a very simple old fashioned anti-depressant fluvoxetine, but your doctor can probably find you a better one. One good piece of news is that anti-depressant use is associated with a lower rate of Alzheimers. If the anti-depressant works well for you, I would stay on it for a good solid five years at least. 

Certainly, if your life is so difficult, you should try anything that will make you feel better. I am struggling here to find the right thing to say. I guess I felt, when perimenopause hit, that I felt a change in attitude about life - that I have a limited amount of time to live, and I should do what I can to make those years good. And I think you should too. Certainly you should do whatever you can for your low mood, certainly you should take anti-depressants if they help, hormone creams if they help. Of course, exercise, limit the amount of sugar, carbs etc in your diet, all these good things. And I am sorry I don't have much experience with migraines to help you with any insight. Drink a lot of water? I know that helps. 

And know you are not alone. There are a lot of even youtube videos from younger women with depression. They are not so ashamed of it, because slowly culture is changing. Big hugs to you, darling.

• Posted

Yeah, amanda! Our hormones shift two weeks after our period, and I bet you feel bad for the two weeks before your period! I would say that is progesterone deficiency. Anyway, you just have to try the progesterone cream, it works pretty quick for me! If it's the problem, you'll know right away. 

I also take a herbal supplement, and I was using it before perimenopause, and it really helps as well. I have melancholic depression, the kind associated with bipolar. The supplement definitely boosts whatever is wrong in the brain. It even tipped me towards hypomania, which is something I don't really have to cope with normally. (With thanks to the universe, and also with great sympathy and respect for those who do have to cope with true bipolar). I just reduced the amount of dosage and I keep on the sane side of life. I live in Japan, and they have this supplement on their medical system. These herbal remedies have been developed over thousands of years in China, and then for a few hundred years in Japan, with modern scientific analysis. I am very lucky to have access to them. However, you might really look into taking supplements like the one often recommended on this website, menopace, or even visiting a Chinese herbal medicine shop, if you live in a big city. But that could get expensive. Honey, all the best to you. 

• Posted

Oh yeah, and michelle, the younger doctors might have better information than the older ones. But . . . it's a crapshoot. For them too. The whole hormonal system is so unsee-able, from their point of view.
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer Thankyou for your help over he past few day. Unfortunately my doctor does not think I'm peri, he thinks I'm getting the side effects from the medication I'm taking for my migraines?!. Plus I have to go back Tuesday for blood tests?. So know I have to wait?.
  • Posted

Im 41 and since a few years in Peri just didn't know that this is what it was sad Since a few months my mental state is gone down quite badly as in bad anxiety, doom and gloom and off the plodder thinking, hot/cold, tired, palpations etc.

Started AD end of January and HRT mid February and upped the HRT 1.5 months ago. YET still not feeling all good. - The weird taste you describe, in fact had yesterday and the day before. Not just taste but it the taste buds seem to have gone funny on my tongue, can't really describe it. Today its fine again, so I wonder myself... sad

• Posted

Hi there, the horrid taste in my mouth!! 

I haven't been my normal self for the last 5 months, with quite a lot of changings to my body and mind yesterday I felt good, this morning I feel very down like I have had some extremely bad news?!!. Take for example the bad taste in my mouth there are now foods I cannot stand. I made a lasagne for tea NOW I LOVE THIS YUK no it just tasteded funny, everyone else enjoyed (my family). I am finding the mood swings terrible hard to control as I have 3 young children and it certainly is not fair on them with my mood swings as they are, I need something to help control this medication/ or something?. Anyway I have a doctors appointment today so just maybe I can move a little forward on getting something?.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.