ANA Direct - positive abnormal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had the ANA DIRECT test done and it came back positive abnormal.  What does this mean?  How high, makes a positive and what does the abnormal mean?  Thank you!  Any hekp would be very much appreciated..

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello  SweetMelissa:

Nurse Shelly here, it means you have markers for autoimmune and to further look into conditions like Hashimoto's an Lupus or Rheumatoid Arthritis. Some of these can share markers and positive ANA.

Sometimes a false -positive can happen.  ESR test and other tests can help the doctor narrow down what is happening.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

I tested positive for ANA but haven’t seen my numbers yet also my RF is <14 

• Posted

Hello Anthony:

My name is Shelly and I am an RN in the USA.  Thanks for contacting me.

If you tested positive for the ANA direct you can have Rheumatoid Arthritis which is autoimmune. 

Some people have to have more marker tests done for Rheumatoid Arthritis and that can be more specific to diagnosis. This is usually ordered by a Rheumatologist.

Rheumatoid can be passed down in the DNA and run in family lines. It can skip a generation.

Lupus and Hashimoto's also can have positive ANA direct.  ESR is another blood test that can narrow down what is happening inside of you.

Ask for your lab values and if you wish post the levels here and it may help to show what is happening.

Regards,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.