Anaesthetic for TKR

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have my op coming up in two weeks on 17 September and my surgeon tells me that the would prefer me to have epidural and nerve block instead of a general as it will lessen the chance of DVT post-op.

i have always had a general for other ops and the thought of being awake during all that sawing, drilling and screwing going on is not comfortable, to say the least. Some of the people I know who have had it done this way say that the sedative they give puts you off the planet and you don't know much about it. I'll probably go with the idea anyway, just a bit cautious I suppose.

anybody else had this experience? Was it ok?

2 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know one individual that had to do it that way. He is a huge man with various ailments including family history of heart and has respritory problems. Dr. wouldn't agree to general anesthetic and the pain was so severe they were worried about the  effect it was having on his heart. He did extremely well and said he had no recollection of anything from the time they injected him prior to go to the O.R.
  • Posted

They don't do general anymore. It's to hard on the body. U r sedated and given a epidural. U don't hear or see anything. I was fortunate tow go thru THR and was awake to empty my bladder without risking infection . Usually a cathaters is used under general and everything takes longer to wake. Blood flow and oxygen is important to start the system moving for a better healing process.

THE AM BEFORE SURGERY the dr will talk to u and also a IV in given to help put u in LALALALA LAND. U WONT REMEMBER A THING UNTIL U WAKE UP AFTER SURGERY, 

GOOD LUCKcheesygrin

• Posted

Hi, I had TKR 8 weeks ago . I had spinal block and NO sedation , my request .i was awake all through it. They will allow you to take ear phones and music if you wish ..I took my phone and ear phones but it kept switching off lol something I dadnt done properly . I ended up just laying there , I told the surgeons they were boring , no interesting chat lol .i didn't feel a thing yes I could hear banging etc, I told myself workman were in next door lol. I did think about ringing my husband during the op , but thought it may  freak him out .i was wheeled out of theatre 3.15  wide awake and chatting .i have friends who gave had spinal and sedation and they didn't remember anything . It's the way to do it , so no need to worry 
  • Posted

Do not worry! I had TKR last Dec with a spinal,femoral nerve block and sedation. I too was VERY worried about the things I may see or hear but was pleasantly surprised as I do not remember a thing except watching a man bandaging my leg as it was supported over his shoulder!(this May have been an hallucination)
  • Posted

Hello johnros. 

I've now had 2 knees done with an epidural and sedation. You haven't mentioned the sedation so I would check on that. The sedation is just like anaesthetic and you go to sleep just the same. You can't hear anything so don't worry about it.

Ann

• Posted

Nicky, you prob did see that , the first thing I saw was my ankle on his shoulder and he was painting me orange lol . Really strange sensation .i suffer with anxiety and I was really worried about the anesthetic... So for me it was great 
  • Posted

No need to worry at all johnros. I had spinal and sedation. Was told I'd feel sleepy and next thing I knew they were telling me it was all done! I was quite alert then and chatted to staff in recovery room. The added bonus is the feeling doesn't come back in your legs for a few hours so you're not in pain immediately afterwards. Good luck.

Jen 

• Posted

My tkr is due soon and I had the same worries. I went to joint school last week (this is something my hospital does just before the op) and was shown videos etc of the op. They put a screen up so you don't see anything, as in a C section. We can also opt for a sedative. We have total freedom of choice over which anaesthetic to have and my main worry about the spinal was my very bad back, in case they did something to make it worse. The aneasthetist told me that if there was any problem with my back at the time they would use a general. I met all the team including the nuses from the ward and theatre and the physiotherapist.I now feel fully prepared and my mind has been put at rest. Well done North Wales for this school. I shall probably take my kindle in and get immersed in a book.biggrin

• Posted

I had a TKR with a spinal 6weeks ago which l found excellent they gave me a mild sedation and l actually fell asleep during surgery. 

Following surgery had no side effects and enjoyed a light snack when l returned to the ward.

I visited the physiotherapist today who is very pleased with my progress and l can now walk short distances without aids.

all the best x

• Posted

Hi johnros I can only relate to my experience. I opted for the epidural route after the anaesthetist recommend it. I was full of fear and doubts. The experience was horrendous, I heard everything that was going on and could feel the movement of the operating table as they pushed my new knee in. They had given me sedatives but I was still aware of everything and time. I was still sickly and ill afterwards as we're the people who had had a general I am now 4weeks post op and the memory is still haunting me. Think long and hard about taking this route especially if you have had problem free anaesthetics before.i wish you the best of lock whichever road you go down. Take care
    • Posted

Tucks, was there no way you could let the anesthesiologist know that you needed additional sedation?  This situation is my biggest fear for my upcoming double knee replacement. When I had a c-section to deliver my baby, I had an epidural without sedation and the idiot doctor described moving my organs around to several residents as if I wasn't there. It was horrible hearing and visualizing being gutted so I have this fear that the sedation wont work and there I'll be again witnessing my surgery.
  • Posted

Hi Johnros

I too had a spinal and was absolutely dreading it. I was a nervouse wreck in the operating room and kept telling them that I was still awake even though they hadnt started. I felt very embarrassed after as I had made such a fuss. I didnt feel a thing and was fast asleep all through. Dont worry you will be fine and definitely wont be as bad as me.

• Posted

I too am due to have my tkr on 9th September and they want to do a spinal but I am so scared every time I think about it I feel sick and get very upset so I have told the nurse that I want a general. I know it is better recovery with a spinal but I cannot bring myself to do it. Good luck with your op.
    • Posted

Hi Joanne best of luck with your op. I was scared witless and with a lot of doubt I went down the epidural route. Say no more and hold out for the general. I am 4 weeks post op today am am now starting to feel human again. Take care it will be worth it in the end x
    • Posted

Hi well stuck to my guns and had a general anaesthetic and all was good they also gave me a femeral nerve block so didn't get feeling back in my leg until late evening but when I did boy did I know about it. I knew it would be painful but I was not prepared for this level of pain. I know it's only really day two but I hope it gets better soon as at the moment I feel thoroughly lousy and useless.
    • Posted

Hi glad your op is over and done with, hope you are feeling less lousy. They are very difficult emotions to deal with, willing this dreadful pain to stop and trying desperately to be on the mend. I am now 5weeks post op and still feel really down. I can walk around the house without aids. Trying my hardest to do the excersises and pushing myself as hard as I can. How are you sleeping ? This has been a huge problem for me. And I still have the memory of that horrendous epidural. Take care hope you feel better soon x
    • Posted

Hello Tucks. 

I've just read your post and was really impressed to read that after only 5 weeks you're walking around the house with no aids. I'm now about 8 weeks post op and can now walk about without aids, tho if I'm out and have been sitting for any length of time I need a stick to get me up and going again! I'm not sleeping well the knee seems to be more painful when I'm on bed, probably because its being forced flat. I can't say it's painful at all in the day tho. It seemed to get less painful suddenly. You'll get there soon. Good luck. Ann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.