Anaesthetic for TKR

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have my op coming up in two weeks on 17 September and my surgeon tells me that the would prefer me to have epidural and nerve block instead of a general as it will lessen the chance of DVT post-op.

i have always had a general for other ops and the thought of being awake during all that sawing, drilling and screwing going on is not comfortable, to say the least. Some of the people I know who have had it done this way say that the sedative they give puts you off the planet and you don't know much about it. I'll probably go with the idea anyway, just a bit cautious I suppose.

anybody else had this experience? Was it ok?

2 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you everybody.

i am now feeling a lot better about going down the epidural route.

i shall ask for a good dose of sedative and see how it goes.

thanks again

john

• Posted

Good good glad to hear UR more confident with a epidural.. A little IV on the way to surgery u'll be out before u hit THR OP DOOR.

I will send good wishes UR way!

. KEEP US POSTED....biggrin

• Posted

All the best for the 17th Johnros

Will be thinking of you x

• Posted

Hi

I had a THR a while back on this forum because my knees are buggered as well but hey ho.  I was offered epidural nerve blocks sedation the whole nine yards but still went for general. That's just me didn't fancy being in a joiners workshop especially when I was the 2x4 and being awake or potentially wake up just me.  In saying that I woke from anesthetic before I left theatre all was finished but if was a bit scary.  The consultant quickly reassured me it was over I think he had visions of a pretty fit 16.5 stone red haired man throwing a wobbler in his theatre.  

Everyone has there own choice to make you really don't have to make your final decision until tge morning of the surgery.  I work in a hospital so don't let them tell you any thing different.  See how you feel in the day see how other patients faired on the day.  Need another hip and knee ops but I will be knocked out cold for all of them :-))  

• Posted

I wish I had closed the general anaesthetic . I am 4weeks pot op and can still hear the saws and drills in my head. Horrendous still it's over now and I am trying hard to move on. Still very down and depressed but will get there eventually take care
    • Posted

The feeling low and depressed seems quite general ,  it will gradually get better . Keep exercising it really does help 
    • Posted

Hi pam when I began my excersises again in hospital they didn't hurt half as much as they do now. I am in pain for about 2 hours afterwards.knee and leg really hot dispute the ice. Is this normal do you think. Also getting more pain when I am walking any tips would be really useful. I'm relieved to hear the depression seems to be par for the course. Take care its great to get this feedback
    • Posted

Hi Tucks, I find the exercises really hurt too and I think they contribute to the tiredness. I asked my consultant at my 6 week check up this week if one of the exercises could be doing more harm than good (lying on my tummy with weight round my ankle and foot hanging over edge of bed, raising leg 10 times then letting foot just hang there for 4/5 mins). He said it would do no harm and explained that the pain I was getting down the back of the leg is the muscles readjusting after I'd been walking incorrectly for so long before. I must admit it has got a little bit easier to do today so I'm hoping things will continue to get better. I use heat as well as ice but I haven't got much swelling now.  I think the pain is quite normal but it's hard isn't it? I get very fed up some days. Any improvement is so very gradual and I seem to reach a plateau and get nowhere some days. All I can suggest is you keep up the exercises and, unless the pain and heat is accompanied by any redness or inflammation, accept that it's normal and will gradually get better. Try to keep your spirits up. As everyone keeps saying - it takes time 😊

Jen 

• Posted

I find most of us went into surgery with so much pain that our imagination ran away with reality and that reality failed to have full grasp of the recovery. I was told repeatedly that getting the leg flat or "0" was the catalyst to being able to walk with minimal pain. I put so much effort and energy into that process I think I neglected some of the overall correction. That was 10 years ago. In January '13 I had to have a revision and found just because I had gone through it once I wasn't having it any easier but some of newer methods made recovery seem a little easier. Still intent on the "0" as my first goal, I did more complete body workout including cardio and muscle toning. Not easy by any definition but it seem to make  me more mentally able to cope with pain and adversity more positively. Realistically, no  matter how far into the future I can look, I don't think I'll ever get past having a shaft if high tech steel protruding into my leg bone and  big hunk of steel glued onto my femur and a little plastic disc separating the two. As I have mentioned before on ththis forum, a broken leg and staff infection which necessitated reopening the leg and replacing the disc have complicated things a bunch but I'm back at the game, overcoming pain and walking on my own.
    • Posted

I think the more you walk etc, the more pain you will get .i have ice on mine now, but today I have done a lot . The exercises really do help to stop it stiffening up .are you using a stick or crutch? , I don't think it Helps to give this up too quickly . 
    • Posted

Hi Pam. I'm 4 weeks out from my tkr right knee. Still very stiff after exercises. Getting very frustrating. Going to pt twice a week. My ROM got up to 95 but seems like my knee is locked beyond that. Any advice?

• Posted

You are in the upper percentage for the process. Just stay with the program and don't overdo it. Setbacks are hard to overcome. Slow and steady with everything you do. Remember the basics. Exercise, ice, rest and elevate and plenty of hydration (water). Take pain meds if needed. Your body has taken a beating. Even though most Dr's don't get into the details, this is the hardest and most debilitating thing most have ever gone through. If you had an abdominal surgery you wouldn't consider being healed and ready to take on the world at this point. I've had 11 knee/leg surgeries and 5 complete rehabs. Nothing easy or quick.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. Yeah I know it's early yet. They are talking MUA pretty soon, and I just think it's not time yet, or ever. I did a lot of reading on Bonesmart and they were saying no earlier than 12 weeks.

• Posted

95 at 4 weeks and talking MUA doesn't compute with me........but then again, medical school was one of my strong points. Seems like some of theses guys are ready to get to cranking before you have a chance. I don't know if its training, convienence or fear of having a patient that doesn't fit the mold of "success" in the eyes of the brotherhood. Add a lot of water to your intake, this will lubricate the soft tissue. My guess you will be 110 in 2 weeks.

• Posted

Hi John

I had a Hip and Knee replacement done on separate occasions under Spinal and Sedation. Can't recommend it highly enough, came to as they were transferring me back onto the trolley and was completely unaware during both ops. Great not to have that horrible post GA feeling too. Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.