Anaesthetic for TKR

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have my op coming up in two weeks on 17 September and my surgeon tells me that the would prefer me to have epidural and nerve block instead of a general as it will lessen the chance of DVT post-op.

i have always had a general for other ops and the thought of being awake during all that sawing, drilling and screwing going on is not comfortable, to say the least. Some of the people I know who have had it done this way say that the sedative they give puts you off the planet and you don't know much about it. I'll probably go with the idea anyway, just a bit cautious I suppose.

anybody else had this experience? Was it ok?

2 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had mmy op 5weeks ago and they offered my the epidural but I couldn't have it as I had a lower back op and the scar was where they put the needle so because of scar tissue I had to be put to sleep, secretly I was glad,I had my op 11am sat morning and was discharged 10am Sunday morning so was just as quick with anstetihic  xx
  • Posted

Hi johnros, I'm being done the day before you. I am still terrified of the whole thing but have decided on a spinal after reading all the comments. We'll be going through it together so as soon as we feel human we can compare notes and encourage each other.
    • Posted

Good luck to all soon having  it done . Just do the exercises work through the pain , you will reap the benefits .. Keep us informed x
    • Posted

Thanks Pam, at least i don't have to wear those awful sock, just the jabs.biggrin
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

haven't been on for a week or so due to wrapping things up in my final week at work and rushing round getting my bag together and doing all the pre-op stuff.

i have pretty much resolved my concerns over the anaesthetic now, just still got mixed feelings about the new adventure into pain I'm heading onto.

i know it won't be for too long and I am psyching myself up to deal with it more easily while it is happening.

thank you all for the support and advice you have shared with me.

i shall soon be back on here screaming and cursing with the rest of you, I'm sure.

• Posted

Good luck, Johnros! Remember to get pain relief sorted and get as much rest as you can in the first few days. Jen x
    • Posted

Good luck. We can scream and curse together after next week is over. My I  player has just arrived so lots of music to keep out those sounds.lol
    • Posted

Wish you well with your op. tou are going into this in the best fram of mind  which has got to be good for your you. I am now 5weeks post op and looking forward to life getting back to normal. If you want a good curse in the coming weeks you know where to find us love from tucks x
  • Posted

Can't wait to see your first post after the op lol xx 
    • Posted

Yep, I expect He'll be moaning and whinging like the rest of us..can't sleep...Swollen...Calves hurting, etc...etc....it's a familliar pattern...smile

• Posted

Just woke up after surgery and what a strange sensation!

i keep telling my legs to move and nothing happens.

the op was great like you all said it would be. Slept all the way through.

just having some light food then back to napping again smile

• Posted

Hi John,

So all went well with the spinal.  Told you it wasn't so bad.  yes you're right about it being an odd sensation...your brain telling your legs one thing and your legs unable to comply.

You'll be lucky to get some napping in...what with BP monitoring, temp monitoring...and them encouraging you to get out of bed and 'walk'...

Goood luck anyway, and I'm glad it all went well.

• Posted

Thanks Pete, yes, the half hourly obs do keep happening but it fits in with my recent normal pattern at home of short naps, so no real probs.

i just think it best to sleep as much as possible before the sensation starts coming back.

• Posted

Yes you're right there John..Grab as much sleep as you can...whenever you can, and as Pam say's take all the pain killers offered...and if they don't offer...ASK!!!
    • Posted

Hi John, glad all went well. You're right to nap whenever you can. As others say, make sure you get plenty of pain relief too. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jen

• Posted

Happy for you that the surgery is in the rear view mirror and yo can look forward to better days. One of the terms you hear is "pain management" and the key is to take the meds on schedule and not wait till you are engulfed with pain and have to play catch up. After my original TKR I had an epidural in place and a controlled drip. I started noticing pain building and after awhile began to complain. They told me it was automatic and would have it under control as the day wore on the pain was becoming unbearable and my complaining was emphasized with well timed profanity then the complaints and profanity becoming louder and more colorful. After several hours they rolled me over and discovered the epidural had somehow been disconnected and turned off. Then they started with morphine every 15 mins till they got it under control several hours later. My wife kept screaming they were going to kill me with that much morphine and I kept telling her to quiet down.......they were professionals and knew what they were doing. Took awhile to come down off that little trip.

Keep the faith.....you will soon be back on your feet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.