Anal Fissure

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, I am hoping someone can advise me. I have had a recurring anal fissure for over a year now. It is not getting better this time. It has been over a month of incredible pain after a BM. I am in excruciating pain for at least 9-10 hours afterwards. I cannot do anything except lie in bed, take sitz baths and cry! It is ruining my life! I also have some large skin tags that are very uncomfortable all the time.  I am finally seeing the doctor in 2 days time. I have read about having a schincteroptomy and am very anxious about that. Please can someone give me some details of their experiences and advice? 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Debra, try 500 mg and one sachet of Laxido at night,it healed mine, but still have to take this combination every day. Totally safe, Laxido draws water into you bowel so you need to drink more, but it’s not a stimulant laxative. Doing this on advice of colorectal surgeon, who said I can take forever if necessary.
    • Posted

Thanks Laura, I already take stool softeners daily, sitz baths, witch hazel, keep clean but this pain is just getting worse. I have been basically bedridden with this pain for over a month now. I cannot do anything and nothing helps to relieve it. Pain meds don’t even work anymore. I am desperate 
    • Posted

I must take magnesium supplement? I don’t take so will definitely buy 
    • Posted

500mg, you can buy on Amazon. Laxido is different to such as lactulose,etc.

Makes it very easy to go, no straining at all, that’s the key.

Onc I started on this routine, things started to get better in days, and I had a rectocele plus fissure, had it for years.

• Posted

Just realised I somehow left Magnesium out of my first response.

I was in total agony with this, tried everything. After every bowel movement I would be curled up in pain, I know how you feel, it’s awful. If it can heal up my chronic fissure,it should heal yours.

• Posted

Hi Laura

I am suffering from a chronic anal fissure for nearly three months now. no relief yet. I have used GTN gel for 8 weeks, now using calcium chanel blocker cream for a week , besides all other ointments and creams, lidocaine, annousol HC, local analgesic gel but nothings gives me any relief. the pain after a BM lasts for upto 8-9 hours. I am on ducosate sodium three capsules daily and macrogol sachets( laxido)as stool softeners. I have started using sudocream since yesterday, used manuka  honey regularly and going to try inserting coconut oil capsules from tonight. I want to ask people how they managed to put stuff inside as I can only hardly put my baby finger in so maybe the medications are not reaching the actual wound location. then I also feel there is something else inside that seems to block my BM in the morning as if there is a lid on the opening leaving me in excruciating pain. someone mentioned a skin flap or tag in a post, could I have something similar? what is that? could be an internal haemorrhoid or what? I dont know. the doctors are not interested in listening or giving advice. After a long wait of 10 weeks i saw the colorectal surgeon and i was out in 10 minutes. she didnt give any advice just offered a botox injection procedure with general anaesthesia. I am so frustrated and very hesitant to jump to this big decision. I have been careful with my diet and drinking plenty of liquids, tried homeopathic self remedies all along and now switched to herbal horse chestnut drops since yesterday. I haven't received the date of the procedure but not looking forward to it at all. 

I will try magnesium as well. You mentioned ‘rectocele plus fissure’, what is this and where’s can I get it?

• Posted

Hi Safi, you wouldn’t want a rectocele, it’s a type of prolapse of the rectum, makes it difficult to have a bm.

Maybe, just maybe, you have been trying too many different things and have got very sore.

Anusol plus prep H and all the other stuff made me hit the roof, the pain was intense and like you said goes on for hours. Lidocaine, instagel, all of these made me worse. I stopped using anything apart from Sudocreme, and religiously every day take Laxido and 500 mg magnesium.

Things calmed down a lot, and the burning pain afterwards didn’t last as long, then because I wasn’t straining any more, the fissure started to heal.

I am fine now as long as I don’t miss a day.

I didn’t put anything inside, far too painful.

• Posted

Hi Laura

thanks for replying. So you didn’t need any surgery or procedure? Unfortunately I also developed psoriasis before this fissure problem which has put me on many steroids lotions n ointments. My scalp is a total disaster with more than half of my hair gone. As this is an autoimmune condition so I can’t help but think that my fissure is not healing due to a weakened immune system. Do you think a rectal examination can be done with local anaesthetic n sedative while having a fissure as no doubt it’s going to be very very painful. I just want to avoid the surgery.

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy without sedation, that was what confirmed it as the rectal examination, no sedation, just in the colorectal surgeons office, did not confirm it..

No, I haven’t had surgery, it’s healed itself.

• Posted

Hi Laura

can you please tell me which magnesium you are recommending? I went to the pharmacy and there are magnesium maleate, magnesium citrate and a few more, I don’t know which one to buy.

• Posted

Hi Safi, it’s magnesium citrate 500 mg tablets, I buy on Amazon, the make is Soltan.
    • Posted

Thanks a lot Laura, you are so helpful. I wish everyone on the forum a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Sitz bath with epson salt. Use  baby wipes with witch hazel. You must keep clean and toilet paper does not do the job. I also installed a detachable shower head to stay as clean as possible. Drink a lot of water and each evening mix three to six tablespoons of cold milled flax with water. Costco has it in stock. Take a stool softener each evening as well. Stay away from red meat. I had terrible symptoms in 2016. 

I believe the fissure even caused a fistula which I had surgery for. To this day, I still use baby wipes, witch hazel, stool softener and flax. No more problems. I am 66 now and had problems since I was in my twenties. Always thought it was hemmorids. Lifting weights always brought it on. No more. I lift three times a week now with no problems. Keep water by your side at all times and stay hydrated. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks I already do these things, sitz baths, stool softeners, clean with shower head but still no relief. I eat only fruit and vegetables and drink lots of water. I am in such agony constantly. I am seeing a colo rectal surgeon tomorrow and I hope something can be done because life isn’t worth living at the moment
    • Posted

Hi Debra

How are you now? I totally understand your agony. If you have read my posts above, you know I have been suffering a lot with unbearable pain in the BM every morning. Out of desperation I decided to go on a liquid diet which i have been researching for some time. I also read someone recommending on another thread. The science behind is to have no bulk or fibre so the stool can be minimum and very soft. this also gives your colon some rest. Today is my fifth day on just clear liquids no solids at all and I must say i am feeling different. The morning pain and lingering pain has considerably reduced and getting better each day. I feel my fissure is healing. I am taking tea, herbal teas, apple cider vinegar in warm water and honey, drinking plenty of water, glucose powder in water once, freshly squeezed fruit juices, smoothies and carrot juice. I make chicken and mutton stock from bones and add vegetables,then sieve everything before drinking. this broth is my lunch and dinner. I continue to take my vitamins and supplements and stool softeners: ducosate sodium, macrogol. But we are all different and someone diabetic or with any other health condition must not try this . this is purely a personal decision. The posts on this forum should be taken as advice only and medical consultation is necessary. I was very reluctant to try but thought to go ahead and if my body had reacted adversely, I would have stopped. I am concerned about my sugar intake which is more than usual via the fruit juices and smoothies but still trying to work out when to start taking soft solids gradually. I hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.