Anal Fissure

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, I am hoping someone can advise me. I have had a recurring anal fissure for over a year now. It is not getting better this time. It has been over a month of incredible pain after a BM. I am in excruciating pain for at least 9-10 hours afterwards. I cannot do anything except lie in bed, take sitz baths and cry! It is ruining my life! I also have some large skin tags that are very uncomfortable all the time.  I am finally seeing the doctor in 2 days time. I have read about having a schincteroptomy and am very anxious about that. Please can someone give me some details of their experiences and advice? 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi debra79586,

My boyfriend suffered when we moved to england 5yrs ago for the first year..I searched n researched sites like this..olive oil..drink it cook with it everyday!! Take it by spoonfuls tablespoons.. Like four five times a day and when you have a bowel..try to stand a little..easier than sitting especially after daily doses of olive oil. My partner went down to skin n bones afraid to eat couldn't sleep constant anal fissure pain..I fed him olive oil everyday all day..he was better in couple months!! No joke and they wanted to give him an operation! Try what I've said..lots of olive oil..I hope you get the same result.

• Posted

By the way my partner was 49 at time very active. I was 43. I watched him suffer for 8months with creams paracetamol everything even begging hospital for pain relief..I read one person's experience after suffering for 9yrs and no longer suffers.. I made him drink it daily..it worked 2 months later he could walk up steps dance jump around. I'll tell anyone if it could help stop the pain I watched him suffer.

• Posted

Thank you so much Stacey. I am going to try this. At the moment I am completely bedridden with the pain. I cannot function or even leave the house. I am taking pain killers and even they are not working anymore 
    • Posted

I completely understand he couldn't walk couldn't sleep..as messy as it can get standing more instead of sitn helps as our anal canal bends when sitting easier movement when standing a little.. Straightens it out more..he used every pain reliever available.. Do not use anything with codeine as it will constipate you..got it at hospital..GP was angry n threw it away..the pain will be there but if you can have easier bowels n get to where you can stand better to achieve that..you can heal faster

• Posted

My partner also said if you can get into a tub shortly after it helps he used showers n we moved to a flat with a wet room but warm water helped him a bit as well..it will take time but get in as much olive oil as you can daily..please keep me updated I'm not a Dr but I've watched him survive constant pain n muscle contraction n He's ok today..so Dont stop drinking it ok.

• Posted

One more thing we gave a mate of his the same advice as he was developing a tear..he took loads of olive oil n stood a little more..he uses it regularly now..no more pain.
  • Posted

I had this ame problem for months after giving birth. I tried everything and the only thing that worked was coconut oil. I purchased large coconut oil capsules and broke them open and rubbed the oil around the fissure after bowel movements and throuout the day. I don’t remember how long it took to heal after I started doing this, but it was fairly quickly. I would also have to soak in warm baths often. It was horrible pain! Good luck. 
  • Posted

One more thing I forgot that helps a lot is vasoline before every bowel movement! It reduces the pain so much.
  • Posted

This sounds like my fissure. I had the surgery and now BMs having some mild pinching pain but so much better than before where it was horrible. 
  • Posted

Hi Debra - i am so sorry for your suffering and i do understand it. I recently had LIS surgery for two fissures - one chronic and the other acute. I had been suffering since late April. Only wish i had done the surgery sooner. The surgery released the sphincter muscle which allows better blood flow to promote healing of the fissures, plus it cuts recurrence chances way down. It is now two weeks post-surgery and I am finally starting to feel some relief.   It’s not an easy recovery, but it makes me feel hopeful for the future. It was agony before. 

I have def noticed an improvement having a bm, so much easier, no more passing glass. There is still pain afterwards, but i imagine in another week or two i will feel so much better. 

In the meantime, i continue to take Tylenol and prescription strength ibuprofen. I use coconut oil externally and Diltiazem ointment at night. I eat a much more plant based and fiber rich diet - no dairy, very little sugar, low gluten, nothing processed, and very small protein portions of lean meat only. I have followed much of what Dr Axe online says about how to eat more fiber. And of course, hydrate like crazy - tons of water and coconut water. 

Sitz baths are crucial as you probably know already. Hot water feels the best for me. Also suggested by another sufferer is Epsom salt with avocado oil which she claims has done wonders for her. Dr Teals makes one which you can purchase on Amazon. 

Hope some of this is helpful to you. 

I understand your pain. You are not alone. 

Kelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.