Anal fissure Botox

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi! Who has had Botox for an anal fissure? What was the recovery like? 

Also for the exam, did it hurt the fissure more? I am really nervous about the exam/ retractor before Botox

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

I had botox 8 weeks ago

My examination was under a general anaesthetic as the spasming of the sphincter was too severe to allow examination with out ....therefore I didn't feel a thing !

• Posted

Do you feel like it’s helped? 

Also the exam didn’t tear the fissure anymore?? 

• Posted

Okay, I’m worried the retractor they use is going to tear the fissure open more, or something. How is the Botox working? 
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

I’ve had Botox twice - the first time a single dose and the second a double dose, as my fissures were nearly healed after the first time but not quite.

Both were under general anaesthetic so obviously didn’t feel anything during the procedure and it wasn’t any more painful afterwards as a result of the exam. Didn’t have any pain when I woke up.

In terms of recovery from the procedure, there isn’t any recovery to be had to be honest, just had to take it easy for 24 hours after the general anaesthetic but there’s no after care management required for the fissure itself. 

The first time, there was a gradual improvement over the first few weeks and I was actually pain free for about a week around week 5 and thought I was on to something, then the pain reappeared. Then when I had my double dose it was strange but there was actually no improvement whatsoever and I’m still in pain and waiting to go back to see my surgeon.

So it wasn’t a success for me but that’s not to say it won’t be for you, just keep up with your diet and drinking plenty of water and taking stool softeners and good luck smile

• Posted

Hello

Just wondering how much time here was between your 2 lots of injections ?

I'm 8 weeks post botox and it hasn't worked for me ....seeing surgeon this week and thinking he's going to suggest repeating the botox

Thanks

• Posted

Did they do an exam for you?? I’m worried it will tear the fissure more? 
  • Posted

Hi Sarah , it’s normally 4 weeks before the full strength of injection can be seen. Some ppl go for second time if the don’t get result. It’s mean there fissure is too deep and can be hill with opp. LIS good luck
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, I had botox 3 months ago and so far so good. It worked within a week and have been pain free since. The doctor was unable to examine me internally before the botox as I was in agony. It's the best thing that I did and would not hesitate in getting it done again if the pain returns. Wish you the best Sarah

• Posted

I would ask your consultant ... ask as much as you can .. I was offered Botox but was told a few people can sometimes have bowel leakage after? I declined the Botox. I was given ANOHEAL  2% cream .. What type of examination are you having ? under anaesthetic or not ? 

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I'll tell you about my experience but I have been unlucky. I was told I had a fissure when I had a colonoscopy and 2 polyps removed. I had no pain from this fissure but the consultant made me think that having botox was just like having a flu jab. Well i got the shock of my life when having my first bowel movement I realised that I couldn't feel my sphincter muscle working. I had this procedure done nearly 3 months ago and if i had been told about incontinence i would NEVER have had this done. Today my worst nightmare happened and I completely lost bowel control. I am now housebound as i will be too scared to step outside the door. The consultant told me the botox would wear off after 3-6 months. As far as I'm concerned I would never have had this done if i had been properly informed. This is my opinion but I think I am in the minority.

• Posted

Hi Sue I am so glad I never had Botox .. I was told this could happen ... Some people may be ok but I wouldn't trust it .. Hope you improve soon

• Posted

Hi mars777

I can only speak for myself and give my opinion. I'm not even sure I had a fissure because I had no pain from it. People in a lot of pain may feel they'd like to try anything, but I've heard that gtn (rectogesic) has the same effect. I would certainly prefer that because you can stop taking that. To be like I am now and have to wait for botox to wear off makes me feel almost suicidal. All I can tell anyone is that they should very carefully read everything about botox and weigh up if the pain is worse than any possible side effects. Good luck .

• Posted

Hi sue! Do you mind me asking how old you are/ had you had leakage/urgency  before? 
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

I'm 64, still working, though off work at the moment, I work in a school and the embarrassment would be horrifying if i had an accident at school. I had no issues before this procedure except some bleeding so I had a colonoscopy which found 2 polyps. I was told I had a fissure although I'm not sure that was correct because I had no pain. The consultant did not warn me of any side effects. You will see some people are happy with the treatment , but I felt that People should be made more aware than I was. I had total loss of bowel control yesterday and no longer want to go out. Good luck with your decision

• Posted

Hi sue! I’m so sorry to hear this. When you lost bowel control was it a solid poop? 

Did you have urgency and not enough time to get to the toilet? 

• Posted

Hi Sarah, To be graphic it was half and half. I had no warning, not even a stomach rumble, it was horrible, I didn't have time to get to the loo. I'm actually scared to eat although my oh is insisting I do. There will always be some people who were in so much pain that they will be prepared to try anything but I'm scared that this hasn't started to wear off and now I'm wondering if it ever will. Good luck in your choices

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.