Anal fissure delayed pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

My pain from anal fissure throbs for almost 8 to 9 hours every day. It's misery and starts approximately 1 hr after a bowel movement. Is there anyone else that experiences the 1 hr delay? i ask because if so maybe the delay is key to identifying a better treatment. our collective voice may help better treatments of this horrible condition.

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Edited

hi chris

i feel your pain

my pain and throbbing tends to start anything from 15 mins to hour post BM

and it doesnt matter if the stool is soft or runny or hard

ive had mine for a year and two months and last 6 weeks have been hell with constant pain its making my life extremely misrable and off limits with my usual daily living cant do anything luckily my partner is on hand to deal with the kids and household chores!

how long have you had yours if you dont mind me asking?

my fissure also has a skin tag attached now due to the tear

im having a another consultation my surgeon on the 12th june to follow up as after using diltaziem cream ive had no improvement and surgery is the next step but theres no tellings when that will go ahead because of the coronavirus

take care

Lou

• Edited

Lou,

Thanks for the response. I have had my fissure since Nov 7, 2019. I'm very similar to you in that the pain tends to start 15-60 min after a BM and doesn't matter what the stool is. i have spoke to 2 highly regarded colorectal surgeons but I'm trying to avoid Botox or LIS . Ive found some of the medical community advise to be counter productive and much of the the experience of actual patients valuable. I've found things like eating right, extra sleep, water jet cleaning after BMs, reducing stress and limiting certain types of exercise have helped greatly. Recovery is a holistic process and botox and lis may or may not be the best road to heal.

• Posted

Mine has now changed so that the pain commences after my bm.

So before it was razor blades now it's a pain after I have been to the toilet.

Also, I had a skin tag removed with botox for fissure and the leftover tissue is what seems to get aggressive. When I asked the surgeon, he said its because it is near the fissure so I think it's the tag but it's actually the fissure. Anyone else??

Also I know I've asked this before but my back and coccyx is screwed.

Can't sit down so I know have an mri scan coming up in July as well as colorectal appointment.

I'd say my back is now as bad as my fissure. Anyone else? Xx

• Edited

hi, there always seems to be a delay before the pain get serious

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the response. i try to do a shower water jet cleaning after bm and later after the onset of pain. this tends to reduce the overall pain duration. For other tips see my response to lou above.

• Edited

i suggest to have a bath before and after BM . i’ve said it before to many people on this site that the absolute number one best thing that possibly saved my life was a red hot wheat bag to sit on afterwards!! 1-1/2 minutes in the microwave and sit on it with jeans on!!!

• Posted

i have had LIS surgery now and have my life back again. i was locked in my room or a hot bath tub for months screaming in pain. and i consider myself a fairly tough bloke!!!

• Posted

yes hot water jet does help after a BM, and i've found it also helps the sphincter relax before BM as well. i agree with your other tip about avocados and i also try to include olive oil in my diet which seems to help stools pass. i've been living with this for 1.5 years now, botox only worked for me for maybe a month, but today i made an appointment with my consultant to discuss LIS - i literally cried when i got off the phone, as some hope may be on the horizon. this group is so important... i wish proctologists could read these posts!!

• Posted

can i ask you all, do any of you drink orange juice regularly?

• Edited

i also experience a delay after a BM before the pain kicks in. i assumed it was because the sphincter had been forced to relax during the BM and was then tightening and spasming again, but i dont know. i find a gentle walk ASAP after the BM can sometimes ease the pain but it's impossible to predict. sometimes a comfortable BM happens before a day of increased pain, sometimes a painful BM happens before a relatively comfortable day... i find it impossible to see any pattern.

• Posted

Hi Yorkie,

Thank you for the response.I originally thought the delay may be a chemical reaction of stool getting into the fissure, however your explanation of the time required for the sphincter to re-tighten and spasm makes sense. It appears there are a significant number of people that experience the delay.

Lately I've noticed if my BMs are solid vs loose and medium vs large thickness that I tend to have a more comfortable day. This may suggest a point where too much fiber is not good. I also try to make sure there is fat in my diet such as advocado or peanut butter to help grease the movement.

• Posted

totally agree. the lack of pattern or rules of the game, make this so so difficult to manage.

• Edited

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Major Fissure and hemorrhoids since Nov 2019. I feel the same as well I get spasams and throbbing pain a little while after and lasts till late afternoon. Doesn't make a difference how my BM is. What does seem wierd is that I'm usually a one time in the am girl and now I'm going 2, 3 and occaisonally 4 times a day. Does that happen to anyone else. I'm trying to get a handle on my mental health as this is really hard to take. I feel like I'm improving then I get a set back ( no, not from being constipated at all). I was an active, in shape, busy mom of 2 and now it's just so depressing that even walking feels like a hot poker stick up my backside. I joined this group as I don't want to keep talking about it to my husband and friends as I don't want to make this my life.

• Edited

Hi Crystal,

I am glad you reached out. The daily pain from this condition is debilitating. I don't believe doctors, spouses, family members or friends can truly understand the extent of the condition unless they have experienced it first hand. This forum is a good place to look for support and solutions.

You will heal but it takes time and commitment. There will be many setbacks along the way: 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Please stay positive.

Not sure why you are having multiple BMs if they are normally once a day. Are you eating enough fiber and hydrating properly? Are all of your bathroom visits similarly productive?

• Edited

I totally agree. And I believe that there should be face-to-face support groups in all areas for this chronic condition!!! just like AA and similar!! this is the worst thing when its really bad!!!!!

• Posted

Thanks! I am doing all the right things. I have to be careful not to go to overboard with the fibre at then Im hitting 7/7 on the brexit.The 2 - 3 times a day has been just this last 6 weeks. It is the wierdest thing. My fissure felt like it was starting to heal ( not razorblade feeling anymore...just sharp pain at first...) but with the throbbing after...then it felt razor like again today. It is so hard not to just curl up in a ball and give up. I just want to see hope. Im seeing a naturopath and a proctologist.

• Edited

we would be the one group that wouldn't be able to sit still.. lol

• Edited

So so so so so so so depressing. It's ruling my life. Finally took the plunge for counselling xx

• Posted

Hi Poppy, Were you able to get counseling? just checking.

• Edited

you would find me laying on my side its the only way i can get kind of comfortable i spend most of days laying down really depressing now im desperate to get out for a nice walk but no my arse wont allow me 

• Edited

stay strong and positive and a bit of hard exercise stops the spasms even for a short time! i think every bit of pain free time equals healing time. makes sense

• Posted

that's what Im hoping for less pain means healing better even sporadically

• Posted

I hope counselling helps. I've been doing of podcasts, stretching and when I can walks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.