Anal Fissure, Skin Tag and hemorrhoids, Botox? Help Please

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi All, I have posted a few replies on here to discussions and thought Id write my own as really feel I need some help and advice,

I am 25 female and have been suffering with hemorrhoids for years, 8 I think now, they resulted in a nasty skin tag and when I though it couldn't get worse, I have now had a fissure for over a year.

Anyway, after many GP visits etc, and fainting from pain, I finally got put on the NHS waiting list for botox and skin tag removal. I thought to myself this is great to get this done and will solve all my problems, as I can't continue life as it is now, right? I got a date sent to me last week for the surgery, meant to be today, much quicker than I thought (Surely they would have wanted to review before, the Surgeon hasnt seen me in over 6 months?!) but after reading so many horrible posts about Botox I postponed it, so they will be sending a new date.  But before I go ahead I really hope lots of you can advise me on your experience and give me information.

It is painful for me every day, I almost faint sometimes from the pain.  And for some reason for the past 2 weeks, I have lots of blood during EVERY SINGLE BM - why now??  And is this something I should be worried about if it is every single time?

I am tip top about diet and exercise, I only weigh 54kg, I am healthy and active all the time!

The advice that I really want from you all - should I do this botox?  Or should I accept life as it is now?? [sad] could things get alot worse if I go for Botox?

Also I don't know if I get 'spasms', what are spasms?  I am in pain for a long while after a BM is that what they are?

I look forward to hearing from you all xx

2 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Em

I had an anal fissure 5 years ago. I was operated by Dr. Daniel L. Feingold, MD.

This is what he did:

Dr. Feingold performs the procedure in the operating room because it has the best lighting and allows patients to have sedation during the procedure. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes, and patients go home after a few hours.

The procedure entails four steps.

Gently dilate the anus with special retractors

Clean out the fissure with curettage to stimulate healing

Cauterize the wound with electrocautery to seal the wound

Inject traimcinolone (generic Kenalog), a steroid, into the fissure.

He also removed a skin tag. I felt immediate relief. I was able to have normal BMs within 24hrs of surgery and I have not had any issues at all. Please google him and find a doctor that may perform the surgery for you.

I hope you find relief.

• Posted

Not sure if you will see this but a response from you would be much appreciated biggrin

How long did you suffer before deciding to do his procedure? How long did it take you to heal? How long did you stay on pain meds? Did it hurt to sit after the procedure?

I am scheduled with him in a month. Thanks!

• Posted

I had a tag removed exactly a wk today and I am still in excruciating pain!!! It's red raw down there and there's lumps there that wasn't there before?? I had stitches too which bits are still in there. Every bm is absolute agonyi bleed every time and makes it so much worse every time I go! I may go to a&e as in still in so much pain a wk later it should b getting better by now I do also have chrones disease which I think makes 100 times worse! I have never felt pain in my life like this and I have 3 children and now it looks worse than before I was only a little one I had to remove but I'm really regretting it!!!

• Posted

Caroline sorry for my late reply.

How are you now?? Has it gotten better and how long did it take to heal and be normal again? Do you still regret it?

• Posted

Hi Emma I can understand your situation as i am going through same. Let me tell you my story. The first problem I had was in 2008 with fresh blood coming with Bw. I was told that it's a small polyp and they removed a day surgery. It wasn't a painful procedure. I was ok for couple of years. Again in 2014 they diagnosed them as hemmorrhoids. I was given 3 options full surgery. Botox or ligation. I want for ligation as they stretch piles inside no stretches outside. After that there wadno pain and bleeding but I was feeling something while passinG Bw went again surgeon said it's a fissure I need to do injection he did that but still same. Recently I have been referred to a private hospital. 2 options were given surgery or injection. I prefrred injection as full surgery is very painful. They did injection yesterday plus they removed skin tag. Not much pain. Hope to get better this time. I have done almost 4 procedures. I am going to live with this. No more procedure. I would advise go for any procedure but after that keep your bw very soft as constipation is the main cause.You need any further help do reply. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Alman

Thank you for your reply. How has your pain been through removal? How are you now?

Yesterday I had 'Limited open Ligation h'ectomy' not sure what it meant but anyway the surgeon said he has removed 2 skin tags, reopened a fissure wound that didn't heal correctly and also found a growth that has been removed and sent for testing which I am worried about.

To say I am scared of going for a BM is an understatement I am terrified!

• Posted

Hi Alman really interested in how you are doing?

How does everything look down there too? I had 2 tags removed and there are still lumps there I'm very upset sad

• Posted

Hiya. Just been reading through this group as I use To suffer from a fissure for years so understand what your all going through. I had an operation called advancement flap which is another way to avoid having the muscle cut and risk inncontanence. They cut the the fissure out and pull the good skin from inside your cheeks over the wound for it to heal. This did mean having 28 stitches but was worth it. The healing process of this was long (5 months due to infections and so many stitches) but worth it. No side effects and two years later and No fissure. Best thing I did. Hope this helps. :-)
    • Posted

Hi everyone sorry to gatecrash this discussion

I have had a anal fissure and pile for 6 years and after trying every cream going my doctor has finally referred me to the hospital.

I didn't realise so many people suffer from the same condition as nobody speaks about it because of embarresment.

Like all of you I find the pain indescribable.

I sit in the loo crying most days and afraid to wipe myself because I know it's gonna hurt.

I tried wet wipes and nearly shot through the roof with the pain.

I still don't know how I got this thing as I always go to the loo regularly and for and healthy.

My aunt has recently passed away with bowel cancer and now you can imagine what's going round In my head !!

Hope you all get sorted soon and me too

Angie

• Posted

Very late reply but how did ur treatment go iv had all the things u have had for four years now it heeled roughly 7 months ago now has come back I was supposed to of have the skin tag inside my bowel removed 3 years ago but feel pregnant and didn't go ahead due to hearing cuts in the bowel take along time to heel and with a baby I wasn't able to take this time to rest . Well the skin tag is still there along with my piles and fissures they cause me agony when going to toilet and a couple days after my backside feels heeled and no stinging until I need to do a poo again. I drink softners and eat healthy I'm in shape I walk a lot . But still I have all of this it is taking over my life again affects my relationship and limits what I do with my children some days I struggle to walk them to school when the pain is bad. I have doctors Monday to book in for a tag removle and getting my pilea injected so they shrink and the tag doesn't come out when I go toilet and I don't have to push the piles back up hopefully this helps them heel x X

• Posted

Hey all. I haven't been able to get on here until now.

Today I go for an 'open ligation h'ectomy'....that's what my letter says? I need to check with my consultant before I go in what this is exactly! I have 1 external skin tag, 1 internal skin tag and an internal haemorrhoid to get removed today so hopefully that's what he is doing.

To say I am nervous is an understatement. Consultant told me to get micralax enema so I have that and I'll take it about an hour before I go in??

I could use some advice on the enema and on recovery from skin tag removal. I have no one with me for after surgery but I'm sure I won't be bed bound?

I'm so worried. Please be honest in your advice about recovery. Hope to hear from you all xxx

• Posted

Hello! I was looking for info on a fissurectomy with Botox and a pappilectomy when I came across your discussion. I am having my procedures in a few weeks and am very nervous!!! I have had a fissure for several years and it has formed a large skin tag inside as well as another external one. I am more nervous about the tag removal than the Botox... Please let me know how you are doing. My other concern is that I am a teacher and have seen several people mention not being able to control passing gas; my doctor warned me of another patient (also a teacher) who had this problem. I teach high school and that would be seriously dreadful. Advice welcomed!
    • Posted

Hi jenn. The Botox helped my fissure in the end which I was very glad for! I had stabbing pains after the injections for about 1week and a bit. It's a strange sensation when you go to the toilet and eventually the fissure heals because you can't contract your muscles. Yes I had trouble holding in gas. But usually they were 'quiet' ones!! Just make sure to be on top with your diet from today and onwards. Cut out dairy, no sugary foods etc all this helps with healing and the gas.

As for skin tag removal...I am 9 days post op. It's hasn't been as painful as I imagined..but keep stools soft is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. I had one day of constipation due to eating some profiteroles, sugary snacks and biscuits....I won't make that mistake again! Coconut water has helped my stools I believe and of course a healthy diethe. I've also been taking magnesium tablets, zinc, milk thistle and vit c for recovery. With your fruit...always eat it first thing in the morning with water...when you eat fruit after a meal it sits in your intestines and 'ferments' ...at least I was told this anyway. But it makes sense.

I am still bleeding slightly and some days are already better but I still can't sit properly and after each BM you are much better to have a shower straight after and NOT wipe in the area...let the shower do it! I then have a salt bath afterwards and pat dry or use a hairdryer to dry the area. For me the most upsetting process is that I still have skin pieces are the area...I was hoping that I would look normal down there again but this isn't the case and I'm struggling with thay alot.

Ask questions on here as much as you can its helped me alot xx

• Posted

Thanks so much for responding. I know exactly what you mean about looking normal; my first visit to a dr was almost ten years ago. He insulted me for caring about what I looked like down there. I was mortified and didn't go to another doc until recently--- about nine years later... In that time a small tag from a poorly healed fissure grew up... Forming an anal papillae which actually protrudes out after I poop. I sometimes have to push it back inside. It's terrible. I am having the papillae and tag removed and the fissure opened back up to heal correctly with Botox injections. The surgery is Nov 17 and i am supposed to return to work 12 days later. My diet is terrible and I don't drink enough water. But I will take your advice! I plan to get some coconut water to try tomorrow; I'm in the US and am not familiar with all of the things mentioned on these boards but I am willing to try anything at this point!! I hope you are able to find a way to fix the remainder of your problem!! Will you need another surgery? Thanks for all your advice!!!!

• Posted

Jenn I had exactly all that done 9 days ago! They had to reopen a fissure because it didn't heal properly, they had to remove a large growth and I had 2 external large tags removed. Your process sounds similar to mine. I asked for Botox as well to help me heal but the Dr said this wouldn't be necessary. So that's good you're also getting Botox it's helps you to relax!

With he coconut water....it will be in the fridge with other fruit juices....make sure to pick one with the least supare content per 100ml. I am in the UK but I'm sure you can get it. Sort your diet out from today onwards.

And also please share your success on here about your recovery and details and how everything is afterwards...because you will help others know what to expect x

• Posted

***least sugar content per 100ml!
    • Posted

I just saw that you responded! I got scared and didn't go through with it. I am not currently having any problems other than the embarrassment of the skin tag and knowing there is a growth inside!!!! On the fence about rescheduling the procedure!!!!

• Posted

Hi Jenn

I'm now well beyond post op. Most of my skin tags and internal haems were literally cut away and I don't regret it. I'm upset I have been left with one skin tag. I will in the future go and see about getting it removed privately. But I now feel alot more normal and going to the toilet is so much better smile

• Posted

Good to know--- my fissure has reopened and I am now in a bad way again. Think I may have to go ahead and do it. Very nervous. Especially about the Botox. A friend of mine recently had just the Botox to help a fissure heal and is having second round of Botox next month. Her experience was not pleasant---- basically everything inside dropped out. I may see if I can do it without the Botox as you did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.