Anal Itch

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone,

An opinion if possible, slightly embarassing. I have been suffering from an itchy bottom for the last year or so and lately it has been getting worse. At times the itch is so unbearable I can't sleep at night. I went to my GP but he said there wasn't a problem and just to use vaseline and that would help. I've tried vaseline, different over-the-counter creams but to no avail. I'm going mad with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am from US, and finally realized I've had this problem off and on for years. Why? Because previously I thought I had a hemorrhoid. I remember now, that there were times after a bowel movement that I'd be itchy for about 15-20 min. The phenomenon would go away after a few days. Then I had this sensation that there was a hemorrhoid near my anus. It felt a little puffy, so I thought, this is the cause of my discomfort. In the past, if I had a "flair-up", I'd start using hemorrhoid creams, etc. and eventually I'd go back to my normal self. BFF with my butt. Then in Sept., 2013 I had what I thought was a flair up. Started using my usual hemorrhoid cream. After a week or so symptoms didn't go away. It got really bad. I thought, there is nooooooo way I can live like this. After over a month of total agony, I thought I was living in hell, I made an appt. to see a colorectal surgeon. Found out, that I don't have internal or external hemorrhoids. He thought it was from my recent diet change (low carb). He also informed me that that puffy feeling was actually my anal muscle. As far as my diagnosis, I really think that I damaged my skin (though doc said skin didn't look damaged) and I was paying the dire consequences. But, it was still helpful to know I didn't have hemorrhoids. So, what I've learned:

1. Skin around the anus is sensitive - Do not start using medicated creams unless directed by a doc. These creams can make matters much, much worse. Creams with hydrocortisone for example.

2. Be gentle with anal cleansing. In US, we do not have bidets. Use a moist cloth (like for a baby), to blot the anus after a bowel movement. NEVER WIPE OR USE DRY TOILET PAPER.

3. Use a cleansing lotion such as Balneol to help with cleaning. It has saved my life! You can squeeze on toilet paper and use to gently cleanse.

4. Protect the skin. I was using desitin (a product for babies with diaper or nappy

rash that is thick white cream) until, I switched to A & D (also for diaper or nappy rash). The A & D has really helped me.

To summarize, I'd like to stress that the anal skin is very sensitive compared to other skin. Do not start using vinegar or other harsh treatments. I'd start with baby wipes, Balneol (or other cleansing lotion for anus), and a protectant (A & D has helped me the most). You do not want to damage the skin.

Hope this helps you,

Stacey

• Posted

I've tried all sorts of creams too. The only thing that has worked for me is Preparation H CLEAR GEL. In my case this makes the itching symptoms go away for weeks at a time, but they sometimes return if I have an upset bowel and need to go to the toilet several times a day- but then a re-application of the Clear Gel cures the problem. I think I tried the other Preparation H cream (thick white ointment ) but it was not so effective.
  • Posted

Like Stacey I got good results with Balneol although I have since found a less expensive (and more readily available) product that gives me the same results. It's Eucerin Skin Calming itch relief treatment available over the counter at any Walgreens. After cleaning I apply a moisture barrier of Calmoseptine which is basically the same as a dipper rash ointment (mostly zinc oxide with a touch of menthol). This combination has kept me symptom free for over a year now.
  • Posted

I've only been dealing with this for a week or two (long enough to start searching the internet for answers!) but one thing I've found that helps relieve the itch when nothing else does (granted, I've only tried Gold Bond, Caladryl, hair dryer--stuff I've had in the house) is shoving an ice pack (wrapped in a plastic bag) between my cheeks. Googling to see if this was okay (wouldn't further irritate the skin) came across this:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/i-broke-the-cycle-of-itching-please-try-this-17819

Good luck!

• Posted

Toilet paper should come with a health warning! As stacy says the anus is more sensitive and needs looking after. This is especially the case after prolonged use of steroid and pile creams. There is now a gel you can use with toilet paper that lubricates and help clean really well without excessive rubbing. It's made in Cornwall from aloe vera and seaweed, it's clear and feels nice and soothing at same time. It has been a godsend.

Hope you find relief!! 

• Posted

I have had the same problem for 14 years, doctors were no help. Figured it out on my own. I eliminated beef from my diet a year ago and that helped. Started taking a fiber supplement and that helped but did not cure it. I thought long and hard about when it started and what I could possibly have changed in my diet to cause this. I left the army in 2000 and walked away from a fully cooked breakfast, for convenience I started eating cereal every day. Three weeks ago I eliminated milk from my diet and have now been itch free for two weeks and have also lost six pounds which was probably due to the reduction in inflammation inside my intestines. I was never diagnosed with lactose intolerance and I do not experience any other symptoms, go figure 14 years of creams and painfull itching and I only had to stop drinking milk. Check your diet see what changed, it may be an allergy. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi joe. I'm suffering from anal itch too. The fungal creams the doctors refer me to don't really help at all, so like you I look to the Internet.

I came across someone's story of how he cured his snap it h which I been trying and actually it worked immediality.

There is an ointment over the counter for anal itch inflamed skin etc... get that. Also get Manuka honey from health store and cold gel pack . (Alivingstone ) brand...That's all you need .

The gel pack stops the itch straight away stoping you from making your anal skin even worse by scratching it. That means your anal skin has time to repair it self.

The ointment is a help, and the Manuka honey fights the skin infections. Basically it rid of the fungal from ur anal.

Fungal thrives in moist, dark, airless spots which the human anal is exactly that. Wear only cotton underwear as well.

This should rid of your anal itch. I'm not a health expert but I'm going through anal itch and it's working so well. Give it a few days to kick in and a week you should be better.

Cheers.

• Posted

Benadryl gel saved me during the itchy parts, it's a huge help, keeps me from itching and causing futher damage. Wash, dry and then apply, coat the inside of the rim some too but not too deep. Psyllium Fiber will help too, you can usually get a generic (make sure to follow directions) I use once a day after dinner. I take a regular 12 oz bottle of water, dump out 2 or 3 ounces then carefully pour in 1 teaspoon of the fiber, shake well then drink. It tastes like cardboard but is drinkable. It will not give you diarrhea, even though it says it's a laxative. It binds things together. I was having movements like peanut butter, very sticky, took a whole roll of TP to get feeling clean. The very day I started taking the fiber, BAM I had soild movments, so clean I could get by with one tiny sheet of TP. If you have sticky movments I also recommend an enima (at home) to clean the lower intestants, that helped me on day one. I no longer have the rash and sandpaper feeling around the anus, very smooth but still get the itching so times. I'm going to try diet for that, cutting out all dairy products starting today. In the men time the Benadryl gel keeps me sane. Hope that helps....I was a sufferer for about 1 year.

• Posted

If itching is worst after 1/2 ihour n bed at night it could be THRED WORMS read up on them cured with two tablets

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.