Anal sex after haemorrhoidectomy?

Posted , 42 users are following.

I am a gay man in my late 30s. I have always enjoyed receptive anal sex. For several years, I have suffered from piles. I've had them treated various times but they always came back. The surgeon advised me to have a haemorrhoidectomy, which I did. This was six months ago. The first few months were tough going but then everything started to settle down, and I felt more or less back to normal. Except for sex. I can take something up to a certain, fairly small, girth. Then the pain kicks in. I'm trying to loosen myself up with toys, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm really worried I may never have a fulfilling sex life again. Grateful for any advice.

3 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hey Matt, I've suffered exact same thing and all I can say is you really need to give it some time. What worked for me was a standard butt plug and plenty of lube. I can't be any more graphic. Your haemorrhidectomy has kinda reset your body, and you have to go through the discovery again of working up to bigger sizes. Just relax, listen to your body, and take your time.

• Posted

Thanks RD, good to know I'm not alone! Hope long after your op would you say you were back to normal?

• Posted

You gotta listen to your body. For me personally, it took around 4 months of regular use. I feel all is back to normal now.
    • Posted

What kind of a surgery did you have? Stapled or open or laser haemorrhidectomy?

I have my surgery tomorrow. I getting a stapled one and I just found its not recommended if you are into anal!

Please help!

• Posted

My understanding is that you don't want the stapling procedure done if you bottom. I had a couple incisions done to remove mine.

• Posted

Hi Scott, how is your condition after removing the staples? Will you be able to enjoy bottoming? Also must those staples be removed for you to enjoy? I had mine done(stapled) 4 months ago and wasn't aware of the consequences until recently...

Thanks in advance!

• Edited

Hey guys, very glad to read this. Most forums go way off into the first 5 days of recovery or how to have better BMs after fistula surgery, even if it is supposed to be about (receptive) anal sex after a hemorrhoidectomy. I am a 40 yo male, bottom (and I really love being a bottom) and I gave myself an external hemorrhoid after a particularly rushed weekend of enemas, pushing hard to clean out. I didn’t even know you could do that. I have zero pain, itching, etc. I wipe gently just to be careful and it doesn’t bother me....except for the totally depressing and life changing fact that I can no longer receive anal sex. Super, super bummed about this. My understanding is that it will never go away on its own so I will never bottom again. Of course the surgeons I’ve spoken to (and everyone else in the world) say don’t have surgery unless you absolutely have to and why would you even consider it if you’re not in pain. They say it as if not being able to receive anal sex is no big deal to me. 

Point is, how is bottoming going for you now that it’s well after surgery? Are you able to enjoy it? Will I ever be able to relax and go big again?

• Posted

hello, did they say why not to bother with surgery if it doesn't hurt or whatever? i also enjoy it but i do have hemorrhoid from childbirth. And normally it doesnt bother me unless im going to have anal then it hurts a but and if we get rough it bleeds a little. so i was thinking of having it removed to have better bottom experience but reading all the comments i am

not sure what to do.

• Posted

hi, i am a trans woman and i just had surgery on september 10. dr said i had a papilla, fissure and hemorrhoids. i guess i've been lucky that i haven't really felt any pain at all and feel now like i'm almost healed now. i have a doctors appointment in a little over a week. hopefully the doctor will tell me i will be able to have sex soon. i was gonna go slow and start with some small plugs and work my way up. i've been wanting to have sex so much lately too and it's so tempting but i think its best to wait to til the doctor tells me it should be ok.

• Edited

Thanks so much for this thread. I had the procedure done about three months ago. Took me a little bit longer than "normal" to heal but I feel totally fine now. I attempted bottoming for the first time post-procedure last night and was like, "whoah, this isn't going to happen." I thought maybe I just needed to relax into it as I've always been kinda "tight" but this seemed a lot tighter and more painful (in a way different than the hemorrhoid experience that went away immediately and didn't linger on and on afterwards). I've noticed that fingers are ok with lube (Even just that would activate my hemorrhoids previously) but not really without lube. I had read this thread in the initial days post-op but didn't quite understand it the way I do now. I'm glad to hear that some were able to get back to normal. I have found myself in the past couple of years (yes, years) somewhat avoiding sex as a result , which i think might be sending unintended messages to other partners. I'm wondering if someone might be willing to share how often and for how long of periods using a butt plug to expand things was helpful. Thanks to everyone for their openness. It's been very frustrating to me how little information there is out there about this and doctors seem clueless about this part!

• Edited

Really glad I found this discussion topic. I'm a 42 gay man, and usually a bottom. Had a surgery for hemorrhoid removal 3 months ago. This week I thought I was ready to try anal sex once more, but it was surprisingly painful, as if i wasn't being able to relax enough. Was a weird feeling, not being able to take my husband even being so used to it for years. Tried with a small sex toy, and felt as if I wasn't relaxing enough again. Maybe the memory of the post op pain and discomfort are still too present, and the internal involuntary sphincter isn't relaxing at it should. But I feel more confident now I see it's a common feeling. Guess it will be small steps till getting used to just relax and enjoy again.

• Edited

Hi! I am 33 yo married female. I had surgery for this about 6 months ago. Before the surgery I could take all of my husband but now even the slightest finger there will make me bleed and we have to stop. He goes slow and is gentle. Have you experienced anything like that happening ?

• Posted

First am so happy to find this and am not the only one

so on 27 of dec i had my haemorrhoidectomy surgury and it went very well

and it did not take a lot time for the recovery but i get the hemmorrhoid back on Feb

now am full recovered and get ride of it for good

i try to get back the anal sex as am 38 years old bottom and i love anal sex

my first time was ok even though my partner size was smal

but still i did not enjoy , while i was fingering my self i discoverd there was circular line of staplers

still inside the anal canal

i called my doctor and i asked him when it will fall down , he said it will stay there for ever

am freaking out now as this staplers ring is preventing me from having normal anal sex

be carful coz i read in an artical that pushin big size in the anal canal while the staplers still there is risk of penile injury or condom damage

have a nice day

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. I must have had a different procedure to you as I had no staples. I have to say that sounds horrific!! Were you told in advance about the staples?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.