Anal sex after haemorrhoidectomy?

Posted , 42 users are following.

I am a gay man in my late 30s. I have always enjoyed receptive anal sex. For several years, I have suffered from piles. I've had them treated various times but they always came back. The surgeon advised me to have a haemorrhoidectomy, which I did. This was six months ago. The first few months were tough going but then everything started to settle down, and I felt more or less back to normal. Except for sex. I can take something up to a certain, fairly small, girth. Then the pain kicks in. I'm trying to loosen myself up with toys, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm really worried I may never have a fulfilling sex life again. Grateful for any advice.

3 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

So a follow up to a previous post of mine... i actually continued to experience pain with receptive anal sex after that post and have only just recently (a full 10 months after the procedure) been able to fully participate and enjoy it. Up until then it was kinda like it was before the procedure where I could only bottom for a couple minutes and had to stop. The difference was that I wasn't experiencing lingering pain for the next week and a half or so just from that short of a time engaging in sex. It was maybe a day or two instead. But I've recently been able to fully engage, even with someone who had a very large penis, and I experienced no lingering pain for days afterwards. It's like the old days before I struggled with hemorrhoids. So after 10 long months, I can finally say that I'm very happy to have had this procedure done.

• Posted

Good to hear an happy ending story about getting back to enjoying anal sex after surgery. its seems to be the exception rather than the rule in this thread!

Would you be kind enough as to share with us the exact procedure(s) you had, technique(s) involved, and the symptoms you had to start with?

Cheers!

• Edited

Yes. after trying the band procedure a couple times and it not working, I opted for a hemorrhoidectomy. they basically knock you out, go inside and cut out thw hemorrhoids seal as best they can and allow them to heal. It's now been three years since the procedure and i can say that I'm very happy to have done it. i was finally able to start having sex after 10 months but in all honesty, it wasn't actually until about 2 1/2 years after the procedure that i was able to no longer have any issues at all. i would struggle off and on between. I still can't really handle guys who are really thick but never could before, either. i think that is just my anatomy. But sex is way better for me now. Before, I could only handle maybe three to five minutes tops and then id be in pain for the next 10 days to two weeks. That was never the case before i had the hemorrhoid problem and is no longer the case now. i would even sometimes be in pain after simply eating spicy food and that too is no longer an issue. i think you just have to know and accept going into it that you are going to be out of commission for that kind of intimacy for a very long time. But like with any kind of surgery it does eventually heal on its own time schedule if you let it. we're just not accustomed to waiting that long. Luckily there are many other ways you can be intimate in the meantime. I hope that's helpful!

• Posted

I'm about to get this surgery and I'm very scared because somebody on a Google was saying that they lost some sensation in their penis and I'm just curious , have you lost any sensation in your penis what so ever after the surgery because in that matter I would love for someone to save me the headache of losing sensation and just skipp the surgery for now as I have no pain whatsoever with these hemorrhoids as the doctor says I'm stage 3 and I'm 42 years old and I am assuming it can destroy nerves because there are nerves in your ass that connect to your penis and I don't want to have Ed after surgery

• Posted

hi, it is so nice to hear from all of you here, and i just had the surgery but it was removing the hemorrhoid and regarding your question about the penis well for me after having this surgery my erection became stronger, so don't worry about this matter. Do the surgery but only removing nothing else

• Edited

hi, thank you for sharing this with us, honestly I am 47 years old and discovered that i totally enjoy being bottom and receiving anal sex 2 years ago, and on 18th January 2023 i had haemorrhoids surgery done and my Dr advised me to remove them he did not advise laser nor tying. and as some articles i read that we can have anal sex after 6 weeks post surgery, is this accurate or no?? Cause i can't wait to have sex again, and now after 17 days of surgery my pain is almost gone but still little swelling, so please advise me will i be able to have anal sex after 6 weeks??

• Posted

Hey there, every body and every situation is different so I can only speak to my situation. There is no way I could have had sex after just six weeks. In fact, I still wasn't fully healed by then. The first time I attempted to have sex was three months after the procedure and I quickly learned that that wasn't going to happen. I attempted a couple times after that but it wasn't until about 10 months after the procedure that I was finally able to successfully have anal sex occasionally but oftentimes it still hurt and I had to stop. Honestly, it wasn't until a full two and a half years after the procedure that I was finally able to be back to where I was before I started having problems with hemmorhoids. It really sucks in the mean time because in my experience, the pain wasn't something I could just live through or anything. But after a VERY long time, I finally have no problems but it took forever. So sadly, I would be surprised if you would be able to have anal sex that soon or any time soon. But your situation may be different than mine. In the mean time, learn to enjoy all the other ways you can be intimate and then when you are fully healed again, you can add that back into the mix.

• Posted

I'm at the 8 month mark after my hemorrhoid and anal fissure surgery. So far everything still feels half numb around my rectal area compared to what it used to be and I've lost sensation and ability to enjoy sex as much even topping feels like there's just not as much sensation I haven't tried bottoming too scared. Also there is a bit of pain during bowl movements where it used to feel good. I'm really worried this will never go away and has made me depressed. Can you give me any advice if you had similar symptoms and they all went away after 2 years? I'm worried I may have to live with this forever. I go to bed pushing on myself in that area trying to feel something again because I was so used to sensations that aren't there anymore.

• Posted

My follow up. I'm 3 years on and have come to the conclusion I will never enjoy anal sex in the same way again. I can do it if the penis isn't too thick, but there's always this part which stings and feels like raw muscle is being rubbed, even with copious amounts of lube, desensitisating cream, poppers etc.

• Posted

hi, can you please be more specific about things that you've done during these 3 years to get back to normal. Its been 4 months now after my recovery, and 6 months after the surgery. I didnt try any butt plugs or different size dildos. Ive tried only fingering and it seems to work ok, but only when i do it. When it comes to my partner fingering me, it doesnt feel like fine, but i guess its still my post operation memory that doesnt get me mentally comfortable. Anyway someone here said it has to be till 10 months. I have also read in a different resource that it takes from 6 to 12 months for feeling ok. But i didnt thought that even after 3 years you are still not back to satisfying anal sex. Please share what methods you tried and maybe what worked good or bad.

• Posted

Trust me, in 3 years I've tried everything. I saw a second surgeon who helped me to finally heal properly, but the tissue is permanently damaged so I will never have the same elasticity again. Desensitisating cream helps a bit, as does thorough douching beforehand, but I'm never going to be how I was.

• Posted

thanks for sharing all that. What about the other surgeon? Is there a way to do an "enlargement" surgery or something to loose it a little bit?

• Posted

That wasn't discussed and is not something I'm qualified to comment on.

• Posted

Sorry to hear, Matt. Are you saying that you experience that even if the other guy's penis isn't thick? I really wish there was some clinic or expert somewhere in the US who was knowledgeable and would be willing to field questions via an online forum or board or whatever. The nurse at the clinic where I had the procedure done told me I would be able to bottom once I healed in a month (!!). Totally clueless. I lost faith in her literally at that very moment as even I knew that would be way too soon. There is a clinic out of NYC that specializes in treating this in gay men. I tried sending them a note at one point but they never responded. Might be worth calling them. Google "Bespoke surgical".

• Posted

I would add that I don't think you should put too much emphasis on X months - everyone will be different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.